The Student Room Group

Is "how far" equivalent "to what exent" when answering a history question?

Is it? If so, how do I phrase it.
I mean, it's easy to say for to what what extent, such as
"to a great extent." "to a moderate extent"
However, I am not sure for "how far"
Please help.
Original post by StuckInOblivion
Is it? If so, how do I phrase it.
I mean, it's easy to say for to what what extent, such as
"to a great extent." "to a moderate extent"
However, I am not sure for "how far"
Please help.

It's the same thing :h:
You can still use those phrases too, as they share the same meaning.
Yep- definitely the same thing.
Thank you for clearing this up!

By the way, I also have another question. Is there a different format needed to answer these slightly different questions?

1 How far did the peace settlement of 1919–23 reflect Wilson’s Fourteen Points?

2 “The Treaty of Versailles imposed an unjust and vindictive peace on Germany.” How far do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer.

3 To what extent was the character of Charles II responsible for his problems with parliament? (taken somwhere)

I think I understand that "how far/to what extent" is pretty much the same format, but how about agreeing and disagreeing with an opinion? (2)
Thank you for clearing this up!

By the way, I also have another question. Is there a different format needed to answer these slightly different questions?

1 How far did the peace settlement of 1919–23 reflect Wilson’s Fourteen Points?

2 “The Treaty of Versailles imposed an unjust and vindictive peace on Germany.” How far do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer.

3 To what extent was the character of Charles II responsible for his problems with parliament? (taken somwhere)

I think I understand that "how far/to what extent" is pretty much the same format, but how about agreeing and disagreeing with an opinion? (2)

1- You need to evaluate each point with 'to some extent', 'to a moderate extent' etc
2- Evaluate each point with something along the lines of 'This factor therefore supports the statement to a large extent'
3- General extent answers

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
1- You need to evaluate each point with 'to some extent', 'to a moderate extent' etc
2- Evaluate each point with something along the lines of 'This factor therefore supports the statement to a large extent'
3- General extent answers

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you, it did! I am being such a bother, I am so sorry - it's just that I study by myself so there's many questions I can't ask a teacher for.

Another question is how would you wrap up a 10 mark essay with a conclusion?
Do you just
-wrap up the facts from above
-discuss the aftermath effects and relate to the justifiability of the essay
-add in extra facts

Sorry, these a questions I've always wondered.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you, it did! I am being such a bother, I am so sorry - it's just that I study by myself so there's many questions I can't ask a teacher for.

Another question is how would you wrap up a 10 mark essay with a conclusion?
Do you just
-wrap up the facts from above
-discuss the aftermath effects and relate to the justifiability of the essay
-add in extra facts

Sorry, these a questions I've always wondered.

It depends on your exam board :smile: I do OCR for history, so I wouldn't want to give you advice that might be wrong. Is the 10 mark essay on knowledge or sources?
Knowledge.
Knowledge.

Yeah, you need to summarise all of your factors, comparing their importance and results :smile: you could add extra facts but you dont have to :tongue:
Original post by Gingerbread101
Yeah, you need to summarise all of your factors, comparing their importance and results :smile: you could add extra facts but you dont have to :tongue:

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending