The Student Room Group

failing university exams

im guaranteed to fail 3/4 of my exams i have an exam today that i am going to fail, exams stress me out a lot and i end up panicking and failing Right now i dont even want to go to the exam as i know i will fail 100% but i know i will go. So far i have had 4 panic attacks in the last 3 hours and no information will stay in my head.

can someone( who did failed uni first year exams) please reassure me somewhat that failing January uni exams is not the end of the world and i can somehow still manage to complete my first year.
I didn't fail my first year but I know that you can retake in the summer, usually just before you return for studying in year 2. Check with your university what their policy is, some universities can be snobs about this. Oh yeah I think they charge to retake, so you'll probably have to skip a few nights out to fund that towards the end. Generally don't worry, it takes some people longer to get used to university education, you're probably one of them.

I say you don't total the retakes as then you'll put yourself into an even worse situation where you'd have to retake the whole of year 1 if you didn't get 40s in all modules (again your university policy, not mine). But then you'd probably be questioning whether your course is probably for you, maybe something different might be easier to cope with?
Original post by Thahleel
I didn't fail my first year but I know that you can retake in the summer, usually just before you return for studying in year 2. Check with your university what their policy is, some universities can be snobs about this. Oh yeah I think they charge to retake, so you'll probably have to skip a few nights out to fund that towards the end. Generally don't worry, it takes some people longer to get used to university education, you're probably one of them.

I say you don't total the retakes as then you'll put yourself into an even worse situation where you'd have to retake the whole of year 1 if you didn't get 40s in all modules (again your university policy, not mine). But then you'd probably be questioning whether your course is probably for you, maybe something different might be easier to cope with?

hi,
i have already checked an my university allows resits in august and i don't mind paying to resit. i will probably end up retaking 3/4 exams the exam i have today in a couple of hours is worth 100% of the module which i am going to fail. I cant retake the year as student finance wont fund me. And do you mean if i don't get 40% in the resits?? then i would have to retake the year?

because although exams make me panic and i fail, i plan on passing the resits but the stress of just failing these January ones is making me panic even more. I feel like i am the only one who has failed January exams/ modules. :'(
Original post by TheSheldonator
hi,
i have already checked an my university allows resits in august and i don't mind paying to resit. i will probably end up retaking 3/4 exams the exam i have today in a couple of hours is worth 100% of the module which i am going to fail. I cant retake the year as student finance wont fund me. And do you mean if i don't get 40% in the resits?? then i would have to retake the year?

because although exams make me panic and i fail, i plan on passing the resits but the stress of just failing these January ones is making me panic even more. I feel like i am the only one who has failed January exams/ modules. :'(

Yeah that's pretty standard stuff then, yeah that's kind of the point, just get your 40s in each module and not much more, remember it's first year and it doesn't count (your uni policy again), you'd probably have to retake the year unless you could somehow convince your lecturers to let you just take the exams in sem 1 of the next year. Note lecturers hate exams, they hate marking them, but without exams there isn't many other good ways to properly assess people.

You are not the only one who's failed modules, people fail them all the time, I don't know what your maths is like but grades for the student cohort are usually contained within a normal distribution, where a small number of people get less than 40 and a small number get more than 80, and this almost always happens. Then of course the rest get something in the middle, usually skewed towards the 55-65 range.

Basically there's nothing to panic about, just do the best you can do and worry about the consequences of doing bad afterwards and not now.
Original post by Thahleel
Yeah that's pretty standard stuff then, yeah that's kind of the point, just get your 40s in each module and not much more, remember it's first year and it doesn't count (your uni policy again), you'd probably have to retake the year unless you could somehow convince your lecturers to let you just take the exams in sem 1 of the next year. Note lecturers hate exams, they hate marking them, but without exams there isn't many other good ways to properly assess people.

You are not the only one who's failed modules, people fail them all the time, I don't know what your maths is like but grades for the student cohort are usually contained within a normal distribution, where a small number of people get less than 40 and a small number get more than 80, and this almost always happens. Then of course the rest get something in the middle, usually skewed towards the 55-65 range.

Basically there's nothing to panic about, just do the best you can do and worry about the consequences of doing bad afterwards and not now.

thank you for the reassurance. Like literally doing exams is so nerve racking for me especially in the exam halls when everyone is writing and i am sitting there panicking, struggling my mind goes blank and then time is wasted.
Really thanks for the reassurance!! i have been feeling really depressed about failing and exams and this just makes me feel like i am not the only one and that i will be able to get through this and end up passing.
i am definitely determined to work my but off to get good grades in my resits!!
thank you for the reassurance. Like literally doing exams is so nerve racking for me especially in the exam halls when everyone is writing and i am sitting there panicking, struggling my mind goes blank and then time is wasted.
Really thanks for the reassurance!! i have been feeling really depressed about failing and exams and this just makes me feel like i am not the only one and that i will be able to get through this and end up passing.

I think you need to check with your uni, because some unis cap resits at 40%, so you may work hard to get say 70% but you'll only be given 40%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you struggle with anxiety relating to taking exams, you should talk to student support or your personal tutor about this. They may be able to arrange for you to take exams in a separate room if this would be less stressful for you, or make other adjustments which would make it easier for you to sit the exam.

This doesn't help you now, but it's something you need to get sorted before second year, when your marks start to count towards your final degree classification.
Reply 7
I failed a 2 big exams in first year but still passed the modules (mostly based on coursework) and progressed to next level

exams arn't everything you could still manage
Reply 8
hi,

why did you go to uni if it's so painful ?

Maybe try some yoga.
Original post by demx9
why did you go to uni if it's so painful ?

Maybe try some yoga.

:K:because i need a degree to get my dream job :smile:
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you struggle with anxiety relating to taking exams, you should talk to student support or your personal tutor about this. They may be able to arrange for you to take exams in a separate room if this would be less stressful for you, or make other adjustments which would make it easier for you to sit the exam.

This doesn't help you now, but it's something you need to get sorted before second year, when your marks start to count towards your final degree classification.

thank you for the advice :smile:
thank you for the advice :smile:

Good luck. Most unis have a lot of support available for people with mental health issues, so if you ask for help I'm sure they'll be able to come up with some solutions for you :smile:
im guaranteed to fail 3/4 of my exams i have an exam today that i am going to fail, exams stress me out a lot and i end up panicking and failing Right now i dont even want to go to the exam as i know i will fail 100% but i know i will go. So far i have had 4 panic attacks in the last 3 hours and no information will stay in my head.

can someone( who did failed uni first year exams) please reassure me somewhat that failing January uni exams is not the end of the world and i can somehow still manage to complete my first year.

You'll be fine just go in do your best and if you fail you'll either resit in the summer which is inconvinent but it's only a few hours out of your summer it's (the revision which is the killer) or you'll have a make up assignment which again should only take a couple of hours or days and then job done although you might be capped at 40% but it's first year so the grades don't carry over I failed 3 units first year (I resat and passed) and still passed if you still fail you'l redo the unit and resit the exam in the exam period next year.
lmao first year i got capped because of a file error

Quick Reply

Latest