The Student Room Group

Considering to drop Physics?

I'm in year 12 doing my AS with Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Business.
I find Physics HARD! I don't know what to do.
I'm planning to be a dentist or a biochemist.
Would it be a good Idea to drop physics? Leaving me down to 3 Alevels?

I have been considering to drop physics a long time ago in unit 1 but i decided to force myself to do it hoping i would get used to it but now we're in unit 2 and i find it even more harder. so should i keep doing it?
thanks
Original post by Edricco
I'm in year 12 doing my AS with Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Business.
I find Physics HARD! I don't know what to do.
I'm planning to be a dentist or a biochemist.
Would it be a good Idea to drop physics? Leaving me down to 3 Alevels?

I have been considering to drop physics a long time ago in unit 1 but i decided to force myself to do it hoping i would get used to it but now we're in unit 2 and i find it even more harder. so should i keep doing it?
thanks

If it isn't affecting you're other subjects, then, I wouldn't advice dropping it purely because you can't pick up another subject now since it is now January.
Just try and put up with it until the end of the year, simply because ANY grade (E or above) will be beneficial in getting into uni and it will only add to it.

Dentistry has, from what I see, a REQUIREMENT of an As level at a MINIMUM of Grade B from what I've seen at many different unis but isn't a requirement on some (some merely asking AAA and I'm not seeing a B grade requirement on As levels at SOME unis).

Biochemistry I believe doesn't have this requirement but, should you chose to drop Physics, then I'm afraid you'll have to scratch some unis of your list. =(

It isn't the end of the world but, it could very well limit your options.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scienceisgood
If it isn't affecting you're other subjects, then, I wouldn't advice dropping it purely because you can't pick up another subject now since it is now January.
Just try and put up with it until the end of the year, simply because ANY grade (E or above) will be beneficial in getting into uni and it will only add to it.

Dentistry has, from what I see, a REQUIREMENT of an As level at a MINIMUM of Grade B from what I've seen at many different unis but isn't a requirement on some (some merely asking AAA and I'm not seeing a B grade requirement on As levels at SOME unis).

Biochemistry I believe doesn't have this requirement but, should you chose to drop Physics, then I'm afraid you'll have to scratch some unis of your list. =(

It isn't the end of the world but, it could very well limit your options.

Thanks our school just finished our mock exams, if I get like a D-E (hopefully not a U because I revised hard for it) do you think it would still be worth the time and the stress? Because I can use that time to revise for my other subjects.
Original post by Edricco
Thanks our school just finished our mock exams, if I get like a D-E (hopefully not a U because I revised hard for it) do you think it would still be worth the time and the stress? Because I can use that time to revise for my other subjects.

I can't make a decision for you, it is down to you and you alone.
You know what you're capable of and since it is not a necessity to have an As in physics for dentistry but would certainly be helpful, do what you believe you can manage without sacrificing anything from your other subjects because the MINIMUM I have seen for dentistry is ABB (this is for exceptional candidates who fell short of their exams by a bit and the sixth form/college can rectify that), link below:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/dentistry/entryrequirements

So, if you believe you can do it, then do so. That is the best advice I can offer. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest