The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh I loved that game. It was one of the few I'm naturally quite good at I found out :') So what extra-curricular activity will you get involved in first?
Reply 681
Original post by Rifleboy123
Oh I loved that game. It was one of the few I'm naturally quite good at I found out :') So what extra-curricular activity will you get involved in first?

I'm not sure what it was called, but at Brasenose anyone who wasn't playing Bananagrams was playing this game in which the aim seemed to be just to say the most politically incorrect statement possible (i think involving cards)... I can imagine it was hilarious to play, but it was a bit odd just to listen to :')
Original post by Yaz97
I'm not sure what it was called, but at Brasenose anyone who wasn't playing Bananagrams was playing this game in which the aim seemed to be just to say the most politically incorrect statement possible (i think involving cards)... I can imagine it was hilarious to play, but it was a bit odd just to listen to :')

Sounds like Cards Against Humanity
Original post by tom707
i got an offer from keble to do ppe (AAA), anyone else here get in to keble?

Hey, I also received a Keble PPE offer! Nice to meet you :smile:
Reply 684
Original post by fluteflute
Sounds like Cards Against Humanity

That rings a bell :') so what's the actual point of the game?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 685
Original post by Yaz97
That rings a bell :') so what's the actual point of the game?

You've summed it up pretty well already.
Could someone at Worcester (or anywhere else if you know anything about it) describe what the accommodation is like? :smile:

I'm worried that the information online is out of date because I've heard a few contradictions about the rent and length of provision. Hearing about someone's firsthand experience would help!
Reply 687
Hello!

I'm an American student, from Arizona. I received a conditional offer from Balliol College to study Computer Science and Philosophy.

Are there any other students from America who have been accepted? Or students studying Computer Science and Philosophy?

Also, has anyone else gotten a chance to meet the Balliol tutors, or stuff like that? I never got a chance to visit Oxford, so all my interviews were done via Skype.

Anyway, greetings to my new hopeful classmates.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 688
Original post by OEA152
Hello!

I'm an American student, from Arizona. I received a conditional offer from Balliol College to study Computer Science and Philosophy.

Are there any other students from America who have been accepted? Or students studying Computer Science and Philosophy?

Also, has anyone else gotten a chance to meet the Balliol tutors, or stuff like that? I never got a chance to visit Oxford, so all my interviews were done via Skype.

Anyway, greetings to my new hopeful classmates.

My son is there in year 1. i will contact him and try to get him to give you some feedback. He is studying M & CS.
Reply 689
Original post by uranocene
Could someone at Worcester (or anywhere else if you know anything about it) describe what the accommodation is like? :smile:

I'm worried that the information online is out of date because I've heard a few contradictions about the rent and length of provision. Hearing about someone's firsthand experience would help!

http://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/applying/undergraduates/student-life/accommodation

That page gives details for 2014/15
Original post by OEA152
Hello!.

Hi. Congratulations on your offer. We normally have a handful of American candidates who receive offers across our three CompSci degrees. This year is no exception. You may have seen this already, but just in case: www.ox.ac.uk/document.rm?id=1645
Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.
Hi.

So I got a Jurisprudence (with a year studying law in Europe) offer with conditions met for LMH. I'm an overseas student (Australia) who didn't have the chance to visit Oxford.

It was pretty shocking as I'm not the brightest spark. In fact I ranked 49/190 in my school here, so I always assumed (and was in fact told by my teachers) that Oxford was a no-go. I'm kind of worried I just made the cut off for Law, and that consequently it's going to be a pretty grim 4 years with people much smarter than me.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Any point considering UCL for Law as an insurance if my offers are the same? Anyone going to an open day?

Out of curiosity, is anyone thinking of rejecting oxford for other unis for law?
Reply 693
Original post by oskarwithak
Hi.

So I got a Jurisprudence (with a year studying law in Europe) offer with conditions met for LMH. I'm an overseas student (Australia) who didn't have the chance to visit Oxford.

It was pretty shocking as I'm not the brightest spark. In fact I ranked 49/190 in my school here, so I always assumed (and was in fact told by my teachers) that Oxford was a no-go. I'm kind of worried I just made the cut off for Law, and that consequently it's going to be a pretty grim 4 years with people much smarter than me.

Hi,

You're not alone, I think most people feel a bit insecure at times, wondering if they'll be able to keep up with the stereotypical "genius" students. I get top grades and even I have the same fears as you! It's a shame you haven't had the chance to visit, as that would definitely reassure you - the thing that shocked me the most when I visited Oxford was how down to earth most people were. Sometimes I wonder whether I deserve my place, but I think the thing to keep reminding yourself is that the tutors know what they're looking for in their students, and you've clearly proven yourself, regardless of your school history. As long as you're passionate about law and willing to work hard I wouldn't worry about being outshone... Oxford has some of the best tutors in the world and they'll know how to get the best out of you. My point is that you're by no means alone in how you feel, and I'm sure that once you arrive you'll fit in fine. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi.

Congrats on your offer! I'm pretty sure most candidates feel 'unworthy' of an offer, but it'll sink in eventually. Obviously you impressed, and the tutors think you'd do well, so I'd go with that. Also, they had to reject some very smart people, and chose you over them, so you're a brighter spark than you give yourself credit for. :smile:
Reply 695
Just phoned the admissions office at New with an enquiry, and they said they'd check my records for the answer. I have deduced from the fact they went on to answer the enquiry that my records do actually indicate I have been made an offer and it wasn't a mistake :biggrin:

Edit - In fact, this random anecdote is somewhat relevant to your concerns PMF! I think we've all wondered this.
Original post by PardonMyFrench96
Apparently they don't make mistakes, but I may be the first. :')
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AdamY
Just phoned the admissions office at New with an enquiry, and they said they'd check my records for the answer. I have deduced from the fact they went on to answer the enquiry that my records do actually indicate I have been made an offer and it wasn't a mistake :biggrin:

Edit - In fact, this random anecdote is somewhat relevant to your concerns PMF! I think we've all wondered this.

I wasn't the poster with the concerns, but yeah, pretty sure most people feel that way.
Original post by Yaz97
Hi,

You're not alone, I think most people feel a bit insecure at times, wondering if they'll be able to keep up with the stereotypical "genius" students. I get top grades and even I have the same fears as you! It's a shame you haven't had the chance to visit, as that would definitely reassure you - the thing that shocked me the most when I visited Oxford was how down to earth most people were. Sometimes I wonder whether I deserve my place, but I think the thing to keep reminding yourself is that the tutors know what they're looking for in their students, and you've clearly proven yourself, regardless of your school history. As long as you're passionate about law and willing to work hard I wouldn't worry about being outshone... Oxford has some of the best tutors in the world and they'll know how to get the best out of you. My point is that you're by no means alone in how you feel, and I'm sure that once you arrive you'll fit in fine. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by PardonMyFrench96
Congrats on your offer! I'm pretty sure most candidates feel 'unworthy' of an offer, but it'll sink in eventually. Obviously you impressed, and the tutors think you'd do well, so I'd go with that. Also, they had to reject some very smart people, and chose you over them, so you're a brighter spark than you give yourself credit for. :smile:

That's very kind (and reassuring) of both of you. I do wish that I had had the chance to visit, although as I'm sure you know, this was hindered by the fact that Sydney is literally on the other side of the globe from Oxford!

One big plus is the collegiate system. I've got a UK passport but I've set foot on British soil for like cumulatively a week, so it's nice to have a social scaffold right? Other than a blank canvas.

And financials aside, without a legitimately strong reason, I would kick myself for the rest of my life if I turned down Oxford.

Also: Are awards of 1st, 2:1, 2:2 standardised across Britain? Ergo is a 2:1 at Oxford equal to a UCL 2:1? Or is it insanely harder?
That's very kind (and reassuring) of both of you. I do wish that I had had the chance to visit, although as I'm sure you know, this was hindered by the fact that Sydney is literally on the other side of the globe from Oxford!

One big plus is the collegiate system. I've got a UK passport but I've set foot on British soil for like cumulatively a week, so it's nice to have a social scaffold right? Other than a blank canvas.

And financials aside, without a legitimately strong reason, I would kick myself for the rest of my life if I turned down Oxford.

Also: Are awards of 1st, 2:1, 2:2 standardised across Britain? Ergo is a 2:1 at Oxford equal to a UCL 2:1? Or is it insanely harder?

You'll be fine. Most people were quite friendly, and actually there were quite a few intl students as well.

Hmm, I'm not sure if you can objectively say this grade at x univeristy is much harder to achieve than y university, but they are not standardised in the sense that universities set their own exams (?) In any case, you can find percentage of 1sts, 2.1s etc on unistats (I think), so possibly compare that, but tbh that doesn't indicate if it' easier or not... I wouldn't say 'insanely harder', but someone more qualified to comment is probably going to be more helpful.

I did the BA Jurisprudence course. In my (completely personal!) opinion, I do feel that we get pushed a lot harder at Oxford, and I genuinely believe that the average Oxonian lawyer worked hard than our peers at the London schools.

As someone else mentioned, each university does its own grading. Oxford grades fairly generously though - we have a relatively high percentage of 1sts and 2is I think (see https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/published/baexam.pdf). Personally, I don't think getting a 2i is that difficult (only 6 people failed to do so in my year). Getting a 1st is a bit more dicey, but not impossible.

Latest

Trending

Trending