The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarryDn
iirc you're a mature undergrad student there - do they fit in?

I'm actually just a second year, almost 20, but I know a fair few mature students. They fit in just fine, in fact I only knew they were older when they said!
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
I'm actually just a second year, almost 20, but I know a fair few mature students. They fit in just fine, in fact I only knew they were older when they said!

How old are they and at what college? :smile:
If you go to a somewhat good university then take the money, if not then get the degree.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
How does it hurt you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most companies think that people with firsts only sat in their room doing work, companies want people who are able to socalise and talk with others

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd take the degree, an oppurtunity to study at one of the best Universitys in the world and come out of it with a top degree is something that money cant buy. Also as someone who would be an international student it would cost me over 100k anyway so having no fees would be like revieving that money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
How does it hurt you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From a management point of view:

To get a first is a heck of a lot of work and quite an achievement regardless of how intelligent you are. Given how hard you have to work how well could you have developed socially in that very critical time of your life? Recruitment is not always about picking the best person academically for that job but about how well people will integrate with a team.
I thought it says "degree" instead of a "place" at Oxbridge. I wouldn't accept a degree that wasn't obtained by myself anyway.

Oxbridge tho.

Let's put it this way, if it is a place I'd definitely go but if it's a degree...

Pffffff let me be more human this time. Money
(edited 9 years ago)
Only a complete moron would take the degree over the money.

I'd still take the money even if it was just 50k, nevermind 250k.

30k or so is where is gets debateable.
Gimme the money.
Original post by dooglebirden
I'd take the degree, an oppurtunity to study at one of the best Universitys in the world and come out of it with a top degree is something that money cant buy. Also as someone who would be an international student it would cost me over 100k anyway so having no fees would be like revieving that money

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly think International students going to Oxbridge are getting ripped off to a major scale.

Just go to your best university in your country instead or attempt to become a UK citizen first before going to oxbridge.
Original post by tengentoppa
The 250k without a shadow of a doubt. You'd have to be crazy not to take it.

Money, of course!

The whole point of going to University is the actual experience and education, what's the point in having a 1st class degree in something when you didn't actually earn it? It's like footballers and stuff who get honorary degrees, they mean absolutely nothing and I don't understand why they're handed out. A place to study the degree might be worth £250k to somebody (although that's kind of way too much money!!), but just getting the final outcome free of charge or effort defeats the point.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Honestly think International students going to Oxbridge are getting ripped off to a major scale.

And you base this on what exactly?
Original post by Asexual Demigod
And you base this on what exactly?

The fact that you are paying over 100k for a degree that you're very unlikely to get student loan from when that 100k could easily be invested into a business. Clearly if your family is rich enough to pay for you to go to a top education system then they're rich enough to just put you into a business without the need to go to university.

Unless your aim is to get into politics or to do a profession that requires it like e.g. law/medicine e.g. honestly think someone rich enough to pay 100k for a degree could have used that 100k to build a business.
Original post by Adipoptosis
Which would you take and why?

The degree without any associated costs.

My take on it:

ANYONE can get £250k. There are spoilt, useless people who inherit that money and more.

To get that degree either you're really smart or ridiculously well-connected to the point where you're talking about a few individuals on the planet (buy the degree and the class).

So I don't think about it in terms what the money or degree could get me, but what it represents.

£250k any day of the week.
Original post by jam277
The fact that you are paying over 100k for a degree that you're very unlikely to get student loan from when that 100k could easily be invested into a business. Clearly if your family is rich enough to pay for you to go to a top education system then they're rich enough to just put you into a business without the need to go to university.

Unless your aim is to get into politics or to do a profession that requires it like e.g. law/medicine e.g. honestly think someone rich enough to pay 100k for a degree could have used that 100k to build a business.

I have to agree here.

Having a degree from x university does not guarantee anything.

I'm at a Russell Group university, big deal. Again, doesn't guarantee anything.
Original post by patienceandtrust
Not, with that grammar you will not. Unless of course it is Geography that you are trying to study? That is the degree unintelligent people generally study to get into Oxford. I can see the reason, employers do not see the degree, only where you studied.

It was a typo. Convert 'be' to 'by' and we're dandy.
I'm going for physics.
Is it a first? Is it PPE or 'Mid-12th Century Art History'?

If it's a PPE with first-class honours from Oxford (or Economics from Cambridge) I would take it but that's because the guys at LSE never accepted me considering I got my BSc and MSc through the University of London's International Programmes. :bawling:
Original post by voiceofreason234
Only a complete moron would take the degree over the money.

I'd still take the money even if it was just 50k, nevermind 250k.

30k or so is where is gets debateable.

Not if you've got identity problems like me. :tongue:
250k.

I'd spend 100k bribing my way into Oxbridge, then use the surplus to enjoy other things.

Latest