The Student Room Group

Bournemouth's Media School!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris and I am currently studying as a part of BU's media school! Did you know that BU's media faculty is award winning and has so many great links to industry?!

If you have any questions at all about media courses at BU that includes (marketing, advertising, animation, film, TV, radio production, communications etc.) please feel free to send them my way!!!!

Thanks

Chris :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by CBowditch
Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris and I am currently studying as a part of BU's media school! Did you know that BU's media faculty is award winning and has so many great links to industry?!

If you have any questions at all about media courses at BU that includes (marketing, advertising, animation, film, TV, radio production, communications etc.) please feel free to send them my way!!!!

Thanks

Could you possibly tell me what students would be required to do when doing Communication and Media BA? Just heard back from Bournemouth, suggesting I should apply for it but not too sure about how it would be. There is many references to Journalism on the overview on the website but would love to know how it is coming from a student.

Also, is it purely writing or will there be production opportunities too?
Reply 2
Just had my interview for Television Production. One of the worst yet. Course tutor didnt even have my personal statement in front of him, and went crazy when I told him i didnt want to be a director!

He didn't seem passionate about the course at all, and thought he had finished his interviews when he still had 3 more to do!!!

Was my top choice, but now my bottom choice.
Reply 3
Original post by Sandtoss
Could you possibly tell me what students would be required to do when doing Communication and Media BA? Just heard back from Bournemouth, suggesting I should apply for it but not too sure about how it would be. There is many references to Journalism on the overview on the website but would love to know how it is coming from a student.

Also, is it purely writing or will there be production opportunities too?

Hey Sandtoss,

BA Communication and Media is a really popular course here at Bournemouth University, my housemate is currently doing it and he loves it!

In Year 1 you will study 6 modules these include;

Communication and Marketing - you will be looking into techniques of marketing, branding and persuasion.

Communication Skills - you will be learning about how to communicate with a range of audiences effectively and how communication has changed over the years.

Media, Journalism and Society - in this module you will be studying about mass media, including TV, film, e media and print, you will look into loads of topics such as digitization and popular culture.

Adaptation - you will study how media platforms have grown with a focus upon internet usage.

Writing for Different Purpose - this will involve lots of writing but you are graded on a portfolio rather than one final essay. You could produce creative pieces or reports for example.

Language Matters - you will study how language is used to perform different tasks such as persuasion and cultivation.

In Year 2 you will then go on to study;

Workplace Communication - you will discover how corporate teams communicate between one another.

Media Messages and Meanings - you will study how message are created, communicated and received across a range of platforms including internet, video, comic books and radio.

Web Communication - you will look into new technologies and be taught to communicate effectively using these new digital media platforms.

Narrative Structures - this will involve evaluating the effect of different narrative texts.

Writing for the Media - you will use industry-level software to generate media texts for instance comic books.

Popular Texts and Intertexts - you will study a variety of popular texts across the media including; TV, film, radio, print, emedia and looking at more specific genres such as comedy, horror, romance, scifi and online fanfiction.

In the third year you will be given an option to complete a 4 week or a 40 week work placement, this will give you an insight into a potential future career while enhancing the skills you will have collected so far. Employers love when students have long work placements and a wide range of industry experience! Almost all of BU's media school courses have a placement period and it is part of the reason why BU has such a great reputation with media companies.

In your final year you will have the option to write either a 10,000 word dissertation on a media related topic or an original piece of writing known as a creative dissertation. Along with this you could study four of seven optional units which are; developing people, advertising, PR, news and journalism, editing and publishing, fact and fiction and/or new media narratives.

You will have lots of publishing opportunities throughout this course but as a media and communication course you will also have to perfect the language side of production. You could also get involved with the uni's own Nerve Media which is ran by students, Nerve has a magazine, radio station and TV channel! This is all possible because Bournemouth's media school has modern industry-level facilities including green screens.

I hope this has helped you out! If it assures you any more I still wasn't sure which course I wanted to do this time last year and now I am mid-way through my first year and I am really loving being at BU!

If you have any more questions feel free to send them my way!!

Thanks

(sorry it was such an essay)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending