The Student Room Group

Mistake in personal statement

Hey, I applied to LSE this year for accounting and finance. After sending my application, I realised one of my sentences in the personal statement is missing an "at". The phrase is "study it a higher level". Will this mistake affect my chances of getting in?
Original post by jainmanan
Hey, I applied to LSE this year for accounting and finance. After sending my application, I realised one of my sentences in the personal statement is missing an "at". The phrase is "study it a higher level". Will this mistake affect my chances of getting in?

It is unlikely that the error will be noticed.

If it is noticed then it is unlikely that a typo this small would have any effect on your application.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It is unlikely that the error will be noticed.

If it is noticed then it is unlikely that a typo this small would have any effect on your application.

I don't know if you remember me, but I'm that same guy who made that "the' error and posted about it recently, So, now I have two mistakes in my statement. Well, the "the" one wasn't noticeable but this missing "at" is quite noticeable.
I don't know if you remember me, but I'm that same guy who made that "the' error and posted about it recently, So, now I have two mistakes in my statement. Well, the "the" one wasn't noticeable but this missing "at" is quite noticeable.

Admissions tutors will be reading hundreds/thousands of PSs - so it's not likely to be that noticeable. A lot of people read what they think is there rather than what is actually there anyway, which is probably why you missed the mistake originally
Reply 4
So, the admissions people at LSE won't make it a fuss, right? If they like the rest of my application, they will ignore these two mistakes?
Original post by *Interrobang*
Admissions tutors will be reading hundreds/thousands of PSs - so it's not likely to be that noticeable. A lot of people read what they think is there rather than what is actually there anyway, which is probably why you missed the mistake originally
(edited 9 years ago)
I wouldn't worry too much about it! Small errors like that can occur at any time and I doubt they'll take much notice, if they even spot it in the first place. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by earwithfeet
I wouldn't worry too much about it! Small errors like that can occur at any time and I doubt they'll take much notice, if they even spot it in the first place. :smile:

I am really freaking out about these two errors! Do you know people who have made typos like this but still got into LSE?
I am really freaking out about these two errors! Do you know people who have made typos like this but still got into LSE?

Don't get worked up about it! :smile:

By emailing the universities you are only drawing more attention to the errors. Small mistakes happen, everybody understands that.

I am confident to say that people earn places at university every year, regardless of small grammatical or spelling errors in their personal statements. It seems unlikely that a university will say "I am not accepting you because you misused the Oxford Comma" or "I am not accepting you because you accidentally spelled a common word incorrectly".

They're interested in you personally! I'm sure a whole array of mistakes written in poor English would penalise you but seeing as it's a tiny error, I really wouldn't worry. :smile:
Reply 8

By emailing the universities you are only drawing more attention to the errors. Small mistakes happen, everybody understands that.

I am confident to say that people earn places at university every year, regardless of small grammatical or spelling errors in their personal statements. It seems unlikely that a university will say "I am not accepting you because you misused the Oxford Comma" or "I am not accepting you because you accidentally spelled a common word incorrectly".

They're interested in you personally! I'm sure a whole array of mistakes written in poor English would penalise you but seeing as it's a tiny error, I really wouldn't worry. :smile:

Thank you for the reply. That really helped.
Thank you for the reply. That really helped.

You're very welcome. Best of luck with your application! :smile:
So, the admissions people at LSE won't make it a fuss, right? If they like the rest of my application, they will ignore these two mistakes?

The bit in bold especially. There are no guarantees in this, but you can't do anything about it now, and it is unlikely that it will impact on your application enough to be a reason for a rejection
Reply 11
Original post by *Interrobang*
The bit in bold especially. There are no guarantees in this, but you can't do anything about it now, and it is unlikely that it will impact on your application enough to be a reason for a rejection

I understand. Thank you so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending