The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by briers89xx
The day itself is long and intense so I would concentrate on relaxing as much as you can in the situation! Good luck! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! How long is the lunch break - is there enough time to go for a walk?! x
It depends really on your timetable as everyone has an individual one. I would say you get at least 30 minutes but that depends on how on track the day is going! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi does anybody know if you allowed to take notes into the competency interview?

Also, with the policy recommendation should you start by saying which project you are recommending (i.e. an introduction)

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi Sara,

No, you're not allowed to take notes into the competency interview.
I don't think there's a set structure for the policy recommendation but it seems a good idea to say which project you'll be recommending as an intro before moving on to the pros/cons for each option and then concluding. That's my plan anyway :-) Everything I've read says that this exercise is really tight on time so planning the structure in advance should hopefully help!

When is your FSAC? Mine is on Monday...!
Failed the FSAC. Oh well. Think this is my cue to sign off, wish everyone the best for their civil service applications, and thank everyone for the support through the process.

Onto next year.
Reply 1765
Hi Everyone,

I took my FSAC on 9th Jan. I flew out on holiday the following morning and just got back to a message that I've passed the FSAC (hooray!) and my DS status is now "Awaiting Invitation", which I guess means that I've got through to the DS assessment day. Anyone else in the same situation? Slightly paranoid that I'm misreading / misunderstanding it, that "awaiting invitation" actually means "awaiting decision" and I'll have to tell my friends that I haven't got to the DS assessment day after all!

For anyone who hasn't done the FSAC yet - I don't think that there's much that anyone can tell you to help you prepare: there's not much I could have done in advance. For what it's worth, the group of candidates on my assessment day were lovely - we started with the group exercise and there were a few people in that group that I really got on with and then chatted to over lunch. It really helped me relax.

My top tip would be to read the instructions carefully - in one exercise I missed that the instructions carried on on the other side of the page. Luckily, I took the right approach anyway, but that could have gone very wrong! For the interview, I had a lovely interviewer who made a point of telling me at the start to remember to use examples from all my career and times in the past, and not just rely on my most recent job.

Good luck to everyone going through it over the next few weeks. It's a long day, but genuinely really interesting - I felt like I learned a lot about my own strengths (and weaknesses!).

Liz
Awaiting invitation means you've made it to the next step.
Original post by liz28
Hi Everyone,

I took my FSAC on 9th Jan. I flew out on holiday the following morning and just got back to a message that I've passed the FSAC (hooray!) and my DS status is now "Awaiting Invitation", which I guess means that I've got through to the DS assessment day. Anyone else in the same situation? Slightly paranoid that I'm misreading / misunderstanding it, that "awaiting invitation" actually means "awaiting decision" and I'll have to tell my friends that I haven't got to the DS assessment day after all!

For anyone who hasn't done the FSAC yet - I don't think that there's much that anyone can tell you to help you prepare: there's not much I could have done in advance. For what it's worth, the group of candidates on my assessment day were lovely - we started with the group exercise and there were a few people in that group that I really got on with and then chatted to over lunch. It really helped me relax.

My top tip would be to read the instructions carefully - in one exercise I missed that the instructions carried on on the other side of the page. Luckily, I took the right approach anyway, but that could have gone very wrong! For the interview, I had a lovely interviewer who made a point of telling me at the start to remember to use examples from all my career and times in the past, and not just rely on my most recent job.

Good luck to everyone going through it over the next few weeks. It's a long day, but genuinely really interesting - I felt like I learned a lot about my own strengths (and weaknesses!).

Liz

Thanks so much, Liz - this is really helpful! I'm just setting off for the Big Smoke now...

Congratulations on passing FSAC and good luck for the final stage! x
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1768
Original post by GManTheGMan
Awaiting invitation means you've made it to the next step.

Thanks - that's reassuring!

L
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows at what stage you give your preferences for which department(s) you would prefer to work in on the Central Departments GFS Scheme...?

I've got the FSAC coming up soon and haven't heard or read anything about it yet... I'm guessing maybe it is at the FSAC itself or soon after if you are successful?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!
Reply 1770
Hey everyone, a little late to the party because I've had my application delayed at different stages for various reasons I.e. my competency questionnaire crashed and submitted itself and was having wisdom teeth out when scheduled for etray. Anyway, completed etray today and passed.

What I absolutely need to know now is how much weighting roughly is given to the written excerise? I really, really want someone to say minimal because I think mine was terrible.... I suppose what I'm getting at is, if it is teerrible , do I have a decent chance of making it up with a strong performance at fsac?

Thanks.
Reply 1771
Hi, Does anyone have FSAC on the 21st of Jan?
Reply 1772
Original post by lucy_sky
Don't panic when working on your police exercise - you're going to have to skim through many pages and with the clock ticking it's easy to start panicking. Be aware that your answer will not be polished (I reserved last 5 minutes to read over it and run a spell check) but do spend some some time to think about the structure and make sure you addressed all the questions.

Ah many thanks!
Reply 1773
Original post by wizman
Obviously not going to go too much into detail as like others have said it would give you an undfair advantage.

I didnt really prepare for the FSAC other than thinking of examples for the various competencies assessed in the interview and even that was just on the train to the assesment centre. There is no point in my opinon over thinking what competencies you wish to display in each of the exercises as it is a long day and you will get caught out if you pretend to be soone you are not (plus if you lie about yourself to get the job I don't see how you will perform well at it).

Many thanks!
Original post by Lauws
What I absolutely need to know now is how much weighting roughly is given to the written excerise? I really, really want someone to say minimal because I think mine was terrible.... I suppose what I'm getting at is, if it is teerrible , do I have a decent chance of making it up with a strong performance at fsac?

Thanks.

I don't think it's weighted per se. It's more that it's an opportunity to show off the competencies it is testing for, and you will have other opportunities to show those competencies at FSAC. If you aced the written exercise you may have more room for error in the day, in those competencies, but I look it more as a case of, all you can do is your best, and you have multiple opportunities to show it, and that has to be a good thing.

Also you may have done better than you think.
I had my FSAC on 14th January and have today heard that I have passed Digital and Technology but I’m still awaiting results for Parliament and GFS, so I presume I am amber banded. I’m obviously disappointed not to make the initial cut, but relieved that my mark is at least good enough to be considered for next stage of DAT.

Does anyone know the approximate marks you have to get at FSAC to pass Parliament or GFS at this stage (i.e. immediately after FSAC)?

Is anyone else in the same boat? I’m not particularly looking forward to the prospect of weeks, or even months, of waiting for the bands to narrow.
I'm still awaiting results for general/diplomatic after my FSAC on Thurs 8th, I assume I'm amber banded (although Parity said I would hear last week or early this week so who knows).

Not sure if this means that those amber banded for DS/HoP are fairly likely to get offered a place on the central departments scheme?

Either way, the refresh key on my keyboard is starting to wear out! Has anyone else had a definitive yes other than Liz? (congrats by the way!)
Reply 1777
I have just been through most of the stages so I thought I'd post my experiences to give you all some insight. I am on the analyst fast stream and had my FSAC on the 26th Nov. I then found out that I had been successful by the first week of December. I returned all the pre-appointment checks form the same week I found out my FSAC results and the checks were done by the week before Christmas. As others have commented Parity are really efficient with things they are handling themselves, it is the things being done out of their offices (e.g. the Disclosure Scotland form) that take a bit longer - but mine was back within 10 days. Once the checks were all complete the status of the pre-appointment checks stayed as 'in progress' until I found out where I had been allocated to (last week), when it changed to 'successful'. At the moment all I have is a confirmation of where I will be allocated to, I am now waiting for an invitation to meet with the team to discuss the role and start dates. In terms of preparing for FSAC - look at the material they give on the application webpage, it is really comprehensive and I found that the way things were on the day matched up to what I had been led to expect. The tasks are very scenario specific - the main things you can revise in advance are the competencies that they are looking for you to demonstrate. I found that keeping these in mind help to shape how I did the tasks. Time is the biggest pressure on the day - so don't let yourself get bogged down in one part of an assignment, remember to keen an eye on the clock. Best of luck to everyone about to do their FSACs or waiting to hear their results!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by d41k57
I have just been through most of the stages so I thought I'd post my experiences to give you all some insight. I am on the analyst fast stream and had my FSAC on the 26th Nov. I then found out that I had been successful by the first week of December. I returned all the pre-appointment checks form the same week I found out my FSAC results and the checks were done by the the week before Christmas. As others have commented Parity are really efficient with things they are handling themselves, it is the things being done out of their offices (e.g. the Disclosure Scotland form) that take a bit longer - but mine was back within 10 days. Once the checks were all complete the status of the pre-appointment checks stayed as 'in progress' until I found out where I had been allocated to (last week), when it changed to 'successful'. At the moment all I have is a confirmation of where I will be allocated to, I am now waiting for an invitation to meet with the team to discuss the role and start dates. In terms of preparing for FSAC - look at the material they give on the application webpage, it is really comprehensive and I found that they way things were on the day matched up to what I had been led to expect. The tasks are very scenario specific - the main things you can revise in advance are the competencies that they are looking for you to demonstrate. I found that keeping these in mind help to shape how I did the tasks. Time is the biggest pressure on the day - so don't let yourself get bogged down in one part of an assignment, remember to keen an eye on the clock. Best of luck to everyone about to do their FSACs or waiting to hear their results!

I'm in broad agreement, eg for partnering and collaborating that goes a little beyond "don't be a prick" look to mention other briefs in your proposal and build on theirs, or ensuring quality assurance procedures are in place when needed. I wrote down which I had to demonstrate in each and worked from there.

In the interview they know nothing about you so no assumptions made, which has its benefits. I also had examples ready for any potential questions (wrote down outlines I read beforehand, kept my answers structured and flowing).

FYI I passed for commercial (finance specifically). Parity a're rapid once they get your documents in, just sent all my reference requests off the day they got my forms back.
From my own experience I think there is one more thing you can prepare for (at least to some extent) apart from the competency interview - quick reading. The interview is the only exercise where you won't need to read and comprehend information quickly. I think trying to read everything (news, a book etc.) at a quick pace one day before the assessment centre would help. I felt I had improved at reading quickly by the end of the day and could feel I was trying to read everything quickly even for the next few days! Time pressure and a huge amount of information is one of the key things you'll face during the day, so this could be something to focus on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending