The Student Room Group

Is £100k a year really that much of a salary nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen Cersei
I certainly wouldn't say no to a £100k salary but it is interesting to think that being a millionaire these days in no way means you are as rich as it would have say 20 years ago!

You must be on at least £99k, Queen :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by Balloon Baboon
I wouldn't know. I don't live in London.

where do you live and what do you consider high?
Reply 22
I certainly wouldn't say no to a £100k salary but it is interesting to think that being a millionaire these days in no way means you are as rich as it would have say 20 years ago!

But that's the joy of inflation. You that warm fuzzy feeling of a tiny payrise each year without realising it actually doesnt make you any richer :biggrin:
It's an excellent salary. Yes, London is extremely expensive but you can afford a good lifestyle in London with that salary.
Original post by HarryDn
where do you live and what do you consider high?

I live in Newcastle upon Tyne.

£100k
Reply 25
Original post by Baron Keynes
It's an excellent salary. Yes, London is extremely expensive but you can afford a good lifestyle in London with that salary.

To upper middle class Londoners is it excellent?

Balloon Baboon
x

so 90k is poverty time to you?
Original post by HarryDn
so 90k is poverty time to you?

No? You asked me what I felt is a high salary and I said, £100k. I'm just answering your thread question. :smile:
You must be on at least £99k, Queen :tongue:

Queen's don't have salaries... I just pop down to the royal treasury when I fancy going shopping :tongue:
Reply 28
No? You asked me what I felt is a high salary and I said, £100k. I'm just answering your thread question. :smile:

ik - what do you consider

-poverty time
-manverage salary?

ty :smile:
Original post by HarryDn
ik - what do you consider

-poverty time
-manverage salary?

ty :smile:

That would depend on personally circumstances - if you have outstanding debt, kids and such.

Outside of London you can easily live a good life on £30k+ in my opinion.
Reply 30
That would depend on personally circumstances - if you have outstanding debt, kids and such.

Outside of London you can easily live a good life on £30k+ in my opinion.

For a single guy

So 25k is poverty time even outside London? :s-smilie:
Queen's don't have salaries... I just pop down to the royal treasury when I fancy going shopping :tongue:

I fancy going shopping!...:biggrin:
Original post by HarryDn
For a single guy

So 25k is poverty time even outside London? :s-smilie:

I don't understand where you're going with this? Are you wanting to know what a low salary is, or?
I fancy going shopping!...:biggrin:

So do I... but unfortunately the treasury is looking a bit dry after Christmas :frown: (I bought a VERY big turkey)
So do I... but unfortunately the treasury is looking a bit dry after Christmas :frown: (I bought a VERY big turkey)

I do hope ones Turkey wasn't dry when you cooked it!
Reply 35
I don't understand where you're going with this? Are you wanting to know what a low salary is, or?

Yes, is 25k poverty time even outside London basically? :s-smilie:
Original post by HarryDn
Yes, is 25k poverty time even outside London basically? :s-smilie:

No, not really. It's a good salary. Although, I believe you would struggle living in London?
If you offered me a 100k job for the rest of my life I would tear your arm off, even if I had to shovel poop for the next 45 years of my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
No, not really. It's a good salary. Although, I believe you would struggle living in London?

But you said 30k + was a good salary outside it... :confused: :redface:

How can 25k be that bad for London? Rents there are around 500 - 800 a month according to friends
Original post by lewif002
If you offered me a 100k job for the rest of my life I would tear your arm off, even if I had to shovel poop for the next 45 years of my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One armed poop shoveler on £100k. You've done well! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending