The Student Room Group

Is £100k a year really that much of a salary nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by lewif002
If you offered me a 100k job for the rest of my life I would tear your arm off, even if I had to shovel poop for the next 45 years of my life.

What is your expected salary? :smile:
Where I live, people would feel like they'd made it if they were offered a wage of £25K! You'd be lucky to get £16 - 17K around here. Really lucky...

So yeah, £100K would be loads!
Original post by HarryDn
But you said 30k + was a good salary outside it... :confused: :redface:

How can 25k be that bad for London? Rents there are around 500 - 800 a month according to friends

You asked me what I thought a good salary is, which I replied - £30k.

£500 a month in London? I'd say it's more like £800+.
Reply 43
Original post by Balloon Baboon
You asked me what I thought a good salary is, which I replied - £30k.

£500 a month in London? I'd say it's more like £800+.

Exactly, under a good salary is poverty time

If you share. Studios seem 800 - 1200?
Original post by HarryDn
Exactly, under a good salary is poverty time

If you share. Studios seem 800 - 1200?

You said for a single guy lol.
Reply 45
Original post by Kittiara
Where I live, people would feel like they'd made it if they were offered a wage of £25K! You'd be lucky to get £16 - 17K around here. Really lucky...

So yeah, £100K would be loads!

Where do you live? :smile:
Original post by HarryDn
What is your expected salary? :smile:

My expected salary (in current job) will be slightly over 40k. With a few changes to life, jobs, qualifications etc, I would hope to (realistically) peak somewhere around the 65k mark when I'm older.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
You said for a single guy lol.

But if you share you will be only paying the rent for one person.. you dont have to know people before you flatshare with them, in London people often move into existing shares? :redface:
Reply 48
Original post by lewif002
My expected salary (in current job) will be slightly over 40k. With a few changes to life, jobs, qualifications etc, I would hope to (realistically) peak somewhere around the 65k mark when I'm older.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In which job?
I would cut my feet off for 100K a year
Original post by HarryDn
But if you share you will be only paying the rent for one person.. you dont have to know people before you flatshare with them, in London people often move into existing shares? :redface:

My point was you won't find a place for £500 a month in London as a single person, like you said. It's about £500 a month up here in Newcastle.
Original post by HarryDn
In which job?

Currently electrical engineering. In the future hopefully business management.
I do hope ones Turkey wasn't dry when you cooked it!

The turkey was moist and delicious in fact! (I have rather a talent for cooking if I do say so myself :tongue:)
Original post by Queen Cersei
The turkey was moist and delicious in fact! (I have rather a talent for cooking if I do say so myself :tongue:)

One cooks herself? Did you allow Jeeves to go on holiday? :biggrin:
One cooks herself? Did you allow Jeeves to go on holiday? :biggrin:

Poor Jeeves isn't even allowed in the kitchen! I am rather a control freak when it comes to my food and god forbid I should ever be poisoned! Jeeves sticks to cleaning the toilet as is his duty.
Original post by HarryDn
Where do you live? :smile:

Countrysidey area on the Lancashire/West Yorkshire border. Leeds and Manchester are both about an hour away and I guess that wages will be a bit higher there, but around here most industry upped and left. In the nearest town its all market stalls, charity shops etc.
Yes. Any other completely fatuous questions?
Original post by HarryDn
Obv the average salary is much less, but still..

Or do you have to be a millionaire nowadays? esp in London?

I dunno if a lot of people would hear 100k and think "thats a lot" any more

£100,000 salary is a very good salary under the following conditions:
- You own a house
- You live outside London & the South East

Otherwise, you'll be horrified at how a salary like that effectively goes nowhere, even worse if you decide to have kids.

Unfortunately £100,000 salary would only get you an exceptionally small and modest house in London and the South East.

I worked out recently where I live in Surrey I'd need to earn a minimum £55,000 a year to get a mortgage for an entry level property (1 bedroom). So you can imagine how much you have to earn for a family home - it's well into six figures.

Problem is, what jobs pay that outside that area? You also have to remember that after tax, £100,000 is more like less than £65,000.

However, according to statistics it does place you in the top 2-3% of earners in the country and solidly in the top 1% globally.

If someone said to me they earn £100,000 I'd think good for you but I wouldn't consider them well off or rich, far from it. I know people in London who genuinely struggle with a family on that salary and it scares me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by Profesh
Yes. Any other completely fatuous questions?

what should i say to the girl i dun goofed when I met her with on Saturday?
Original post by Queen Cersei
Poor Jeeves isn't even allowed in the kitchen! I am rather a control freak when it comes to my food and god forbid I should ever be poisoned! Jeeves sticks to cleaning the toilet as is his duty.

Bahahaha!

Let's hope Jeeves receives a good salary! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending