The Student Room Group

Pansexual? Is it a real thing or just attention-seeking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Niassuh
I agree that some people use these labels incorrectly but in the end people identify closer with some words. I am a woman attracted to women and non-binary people but I identify more with lesbian than Polysexual, for example. Words change meaning all the tine, that's English for you.

I'm more of a prescriptivist when it comes to language. Sometimes people just use words incorrectly and do not follow grammatical rules. I don't adhere to this wishy-washy idea of being wholly illiterate and changing the definitions of words for no apparent reason, or to suit your social or political agenda.
Reply 81
Original post by tomfailinghelp
You didn't include tri-gender, poly-gender and meta-gender you disgusting bigot. Have you ever considered that there are other people in the world with feelings? You don't get to define them. Take your 9 genders and go and live with all the other reactionaries. How are we tri-genders ever going to be accepted in such an oppressive climate?

Nice try but reading comprehension would suggest that that list was not exclusive.
Reading about the different genders is incredibly confusing. What happened to the good ol' days were people didn't get offended and boys were boys and girls were girls? I can't deal.
Original post by Master Jack
Reading about the different genders is incredibly confusing. What happened to the good ol' days were people didn't get offended and boys were boys and girls were girls? I can't deal.

We've moved on. We're not as primitive anymore. Well, some of us aren't.
Original post by Asexual Demigod

Well I'm going to call it how I see it. And this shouldn't offend you because you've moved on.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Nice try but reading comprehension would suggest that that list was not exclusive.

You aren't one for irony, are you?

I guess how advanced we are is directly related to how much post-modernist nonsense we're willing to drink up, eh?

I guess you're dreaming of a day where we can accept that some people identify as ghosts and/or televisions etc..?
Original post by Master Jack

People began to confuse gender with feelings is what happened. Unfortunately for them, there is no necessary relationship between gender and personal feeling.
Honestly can't believe why you'd be called 'attention seeking' for answering a question put to you.

"What would you say your sexuality was?"

"Pan."

"Lawd really? You attention seeker."

Doesn't really make sense.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
You aren't one for irony, are you?

I guess how advanced we are is directly related to how much post-modernist nonsense we're willing to drink up, eh?

I guess you're dreaming of a day where we can accept that some people identify as ghosts and/or televisions etc..?

No, I'm not some liberal retard who gets moist over political correctness. I just think things are often more complicated than simple dichotomies. Like how people classify others racially as either black or white when each term includes many varied races.
(edited 9 years ago)
Im not an expert on the subject but if youre bisexual you would date either sex, pansexual it depends on how you get on with them and what they like (character and looks) so you would date either sex.

Bisexual = Pansexual ??
Reply 90
I like to be broad when it comes to maths and sexuality.

I ignore percentages (it either happens or it doesn't).
You're either straight or gay. (Bisexuality counts as gay)

/Flame Retardant Suit On.
I don't really get the whole sexuality/gender thing but, yanno. Whatever floats their goats.
Original post by heavyhandscott
Im not an expert on the subject but if youre bisexual you would date either sex, pansexual it depends on how you get on with them and what they like (character and looks) so you would date either sex.

Bisexual = Pansexual ??

Bisexual means you are attracted to two sexes/genders i.e. agender and women, for instance. Pan- just means all. So you can potentially be attracted to anyone regardless of their sex/gender.
Original post by crozibear96
I don't really get the whole sexuality/gender thing but, yanno. Whatever floats their goats.

Sex is biological and typically corresponds to your genitals or chromosomes whereas gender is what you identify as. Gender is a social construct and some people identify outside of its binary gender roles which are assigned to men and women. It's pretty simple if you think about it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sex is biologically and typically corresponds to your genitals or chromosomes whereas gender is what you identify as. Gender is a social construct and some people identify outside of its binary gender roles which are assigned to men and women. It's pretty simple if you think about it.

I said that I don't get it, not that I don't understand the concepts.
Original post by crozibear96
I said that I don't get it, not that I don't understand the concepts.

If you understand the concepts, then what is there left to get? :rolleyes:
Original post by A5ko
I like to be broad when it comes to maths and sexuality.

I ignore percentages (it either happens or it doesn't).
You're either straight or gay. (Bisexuality counts as gay)

/Flame Retardant Suit On.

And asexuals?
Reply 97
And asexuals?

It's a myth, like global warming.
If you understand the concepts, then what is there left to get? :rolleyes:

I don't get why society or humanity or whatever felt the need to create new genders, and why people feel the need to "rebel" against gender. I respect someone if their gender is different from their biological sex, but I don't get why they feel the need to shove it in my face all the time. I mean, I'm always like "I get it, you're different, can we please move on? Life isn't all about your/my/anyone's gender" and then I get called out for being disrespectful or hateful or trans-phobic or whatever.

I seem to have had bad experiences with other-gendered (can't think of another word for it, I hope that one isn't disrespectful) people, but anyone I've encountered simply won't shut up about gender identity and pronouns and stuff.

And then if you mix gender with sexuality and who's attracted to who, my brain just decides to implode. Like, non binary people, for example. Can only pansexual people be attracted to them? If they (let's say this person was born a girl) are attracted to girls and then start dating someone who identifies as a lesbian; isn't that disrespectful? I just don't get it. I prefer not to think about it, if I can help it (please don't take that as being transphobic/whatever).
Original post by A5ko
It's a myth, like global warming.

Yes, I'm a mythical creature. Much like a unicorn. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest