The Student Room Group

RVC Transfer

Hi,

This is my first post, so I don't know if this is the right place to publish it. But basically, I was wondering whether anyone knows whether RVC accept transfers from other UK vet schools? I'm in my 1st year somewhere else, but I'm thinking of transferring for 2nd year as I'm struggling being so far from home. Would I be able to apply for this? Or is this not something they do?

Thank you!
Original post by musicalsgirl
Hi,

This is my first post, so I don't know if this is the right place to publish it. But basically, I was wondering whether anyone knows whether RVC accept transfers from other UK vet schools? I'm in my 1st year somewhere else, but I'm thinking of transferring for 2nd year as I'm struggling being so far from home. Would I be able to apply for this? Or is this not something they do?

Thank you!

You would need to speak to them directly. I know of one case of someone moving into 2nd year to another vet school (not sure about circumstances and they didn't move to/from RVC) but generally this is something incredible rare and up to the RVC's discretion. If you did this then you might need to sit their 1st year exams when you join 2nd year depending on how much overlap there is.

Another thing I would say is that feeling homesick is normal and affects a lot of uni students. I only really properly settled into uni from 2nd year onwards. What made it better for me was meeting the right people, joining different societies which enjoyed, and visiting home every so often but not too often. If it's really getting you down, then you might want to try the uni counselling service - they are used to people like yourself who may be struggling to settle in and might be able to help you in some way.
Reply 2
Original post by SilverstarDJ
You would need to speak to them directly. I know of one case of someone moving into 2nd year to another vet school (not sure about circumstances and they didn't move to/from RVC) but generally this is something incredible rare and up to the RVC's discretion. If you did this then you might need to sit their 1st year exams when you join 2nd year depending on how much overlap there is.

Another thing I would say is that feeling homesick is normal and affects a lot of uni students. I only really properly settled into uni from 2nd year onwards. What made it better for me was meeting the right people, joining different societies which enjoyed, and visiting home every so often but not too often. If it's really getting you down, then you might want to try the uni counselling service - they are used to people like yourself who may be struggling to settle in and might be able to help you in some way.

Thank you, as I said, I am currently working on an email to them. I'd be happy to take 1st year exams or even resit first year there. I know that being homesick is normal, but I've been really bad since day 1 and it hasn't got a lot better, I still cry almost every day after 3-4 months here. I have a few friends, I have joined 4 or 5 different societies and I go home every 3-4 weeks currently, but none of that seems to help at all. I might go to a drop in session at the uni counselling service tomorrow, I'm just looking at options currently :smile:
Original post by musicalsgirl
Thank you, as I said, I am currently working on an email to them. I'd be happy to take 1st year exams or even resit first year there. I know that being homesick is normal, but I've been really bad since day 1 and it hasn't got a lot better, I still cry almost every day after 3-4 months here. I have a few friends, I have joined 4 or 5 different societies and I go home every 3-4 weeks currently, but none of that seems to help at all. I might go to a drop in session at the uni counselling service tomorrow, I'm just looking at options currently :smile:

I am sorry you are finding things difficult. It can sometimes take a long time to settle in but it sounds you are doing a lot of the right things which is good. You probably won't believe me but things do generally get easier with time, you haven't been at uni for very long so far in the grand scheme of things.

Quick Reply

Latest