The Student Room Group

Engineering without physics A Level?

Hello,

I've recently developed a keen interest in studying engineering at university. I'm coming to the end of AS year and I've always had a passion for maths - however I did not take physics.

I'm taking maths and further maths (two mechanics modules included). Do universities ever accept students without physics, even though I have mechanics modules which, really, is the part of physics that relates to engineering?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends which kind of engineering from what I can gather
like civil engineering likes the maths element of things and some unis actually say they prefer maths and physics, but others like Birmingham only asks for maths, but maybe students who do physics have a higher advantage
Im interested in civil atm, but when i chose my option i chose subjects i was good at and enjoyed- english, history geography and maths :s what kind of chance do you think i have whilst you have both maths and f.Maths
and my gcse science is a C :s
Original post by stupefy!
Hello,

I've recently developed a keen interest in studying engineering at university. I'm coming to the end of AS year and I've always had a passion for maths - however I did not take physics.

I'm taking maths and further maths (two mechanics modules included). Do universities ever accept students without physics, even though I have mechanics modules which, really, is the part of physics that relates to engineering?

Thanks in advance.

As long as you get at least AAB in your alevels you can really get in to any Russell group uni. If you show your enthusiasm for engineering through your personal statement and through work experience (any science type of experience, mine was actually in biology! but try and go for engineering based wrkexperience) you're bound to get in. Also most uni's are looking for maths which you have! Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by king0vdarkness
As long as you get at least AAB in your alevels you can really get in to any Russell group uni. If you show your enthusiasm for engineering through your personal statement and through work experience (any science type of experience, mine was actually in biology! but try and go for engineering based wrkexperience) you're bound to get in. Also most uni's are looking for maths which you have! Hope this helps! :smile:

what would you say to my combo? maths geography history and english
everyone I know who is going into civil engineering is all about bio,chem, physics and further maths
Reply 4
Original post by LOUDLOUD
what would you say to my combo? maths geography history and english
everyone I know who is going into civil engineering is all about bio,chem, physics and further maths

Hi, I just commented on your other post.
Don't be put of by your choice of subjects, you have maths which is the critical one and a sort of science in geography. I took Maths, Physics, History, Geography and Russian so I wasnt straight down the mathsy route either. Like you I took what I enjoyed, which I think is the best thing to do. I would advise trying to do as much extra curricular science as possible to try and show your interest in it, as well as bigging up the maths! Put a positive spin on it, ie "I can do the maths/science at uni so I am broadning my skill set whist I can" sort of thing.
At an interview the interviewer said the best candidates are often ones which don't come from the usual maths, FM, Physics, Science route.
In short you need to work to try and show your interest in maths/science as they will want to know why you didn't take them but it is NOT the end of the world. (except if you want to go to Imperial or Cambridge because they require FM and Physics...)
This is a bit of an essay and I apologise but I want to try and encourage annother potential Civil Engineer. (Bath is good for Civ Eng btw... hint hint :P)
Reply 5
Original post by Cpt_Oppius
Hi, I just commented on your other post.
Don't be put of by your choice of subjects, you have maths which is the critical one and a sort of science in geography. I took Maths, Physics, History, Geography and Russian so I wasnt straight down the mathsy route either. Like you I took what I enjoyed, which I think is the best thing to do. I would advise trying to do as much extra curricular science as possible to try and show your interest in it, as well as bigging up the maths! Put a positive spin on it, ie "I can do the maths/science at uni so I am broadning my skill set whist I can" sort of thing.
At an interview the interviewer said the best candidates are often ones which don't come from the usual maths, FM, Physics, Science route.
In short you need to work to try and show your interest in maths/science as they will want to know why you didn't take them but it is NOT the end of the world. (except if you want to go to Imperial or Cambridge because they require FM and Physics...)
This is a bit of an essay and I apologise but I want to try and encourage annother potential Civil Engineer. (Bath is good for Civ Eng btw... hint hint :P)

Oh bless u, I didn't realise because I don't really look at user names lool
yeah I understand what your saying, but I feel like im going to be at a disadvantage without physics or maybe if i get on the course I would totally be lost when they bring in all the sciency stuff...I dont mind maths but science is eekk lool

Wow 5 Alevels- how did you manage, I literally suffocated with this workload at AS
and what did you get if you dont mind me asking as in A level grades
Oh a bath student :wink: I like the look of the uni myself, but too far from home. What year are you in into your degree?
Reply 6
Oh bless u, I didn't realise because I don't really look at user names lool
yeah I understand what your saying, but I feel like im going to be at a disadvantage without physics or maybe if i get on the course I would totally be lost when they bring in all the sciency stuff...I dont mind maths but science is eekk lool

Wow 5 Alevels- how did you manage, I literally suffocated with this workload at AS
and what did you get if you dont mind me asking as in A level grades
Oh a bath student :wink: I like the look of the uni myself, but too far from home. What year are you in into your degree?

year 0! I start in september, providing maths doesnt kill me first.
I should probably have mentioned that before offering advice on Civil Engineering...
Reply 7
Original post by Cpt_Oppius
year 0! I start in september, providing maths doesnt kill me first.
I should probably have mentioned that before offering advice on Civil Engineering...

Oh dont worry, Im sure you have done well.
and from what iv heard/seen physics is the real killer everyone i know has flunked it- major flop :s but thats blamed on teaching
Lool ofcourse not, you have honestly provided useful info :wink:
so you are in your second year - A2 then?
from what iv heard/seen physics is the real killer everyone i know has flunked it- major flop :s but thats blamed on teaching

So true! The only good physics teacher that taught me went to colombia :confused: for a fresh start!(he was an aussie surfer! lol! You gotta love the aussies!)

Yh I'd agree completely with Cpt_Oppius.

You're on the right track! Good Luck :smile:
I've looked into this. For some unis, they require 3 Mechanics Modules in Maths, without either Physics or Further Maths. I've emailed a couple and offered 4 Mechanics units and still many require Physics. Many reply with Study Computer Science or Chemical Engineering instead (as I take Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science). CompSci could be a good option if you choose a BEng or MEng course, as it requires only Maths.

All take Maths and Physics. Few take Maths and Further Maths and even fewer, with just Maths.

An alternative route would be a foundation year or resitting a year and taking A level Physics.
Original post by stupefy!
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Engineering courses that want Physics or Physics highly recommended;

-Aerospace or Aeronautical
-Automotive or Motorsport
-Mechanical
-Biomedical
-Electrical and Electronic
-Acoustical
-Architectural
-Marine
-Nuclear
-Energy

Engineering courses that don't require Physics or little emphasis on Physics;

-Chemical
-Biochemical
-Material
-Mining
-Computer or Computer Systems
-Environmental
-Civil (doesn't require specific subjects except for some unis)
(edited 9 years ago)
Raymat - you've left out Automotive Engineering and Motorsport Engineering ...

Both like Physics A level.
You don't reLly need physics for engineering but it's preferred at most unis. I've applied this year for mech eng and have no physics but I took a science subject which was Design and Technology: Product Design. Which is very useful towards engineering
Original post by Muttley79
Raymat - you've left out Automotive Engineering and Motorsport Engineering ...

Both like Physics A level.

Lol edited, I was thinking about those but I thought they both come under mechanical.
Original post by Raymat
Engineering courses that want Physics or Physics highly recommended;

-Aerospace or Aeronautical
-Automotive or Motorsport
-Mechanical
-Biomedical
-Electrical and Electronic
-Acoustical
-Architectural
-Marine
-Nuclear
-Energy

Engineering courses that don't require Physics or little emphasis on Physics;

-Chemical
-Biochemical
-Material
-Mining
-Computer or Computer Systems
-Environmental
-Civil (doesn't require specific subjects except for some unis)

Do you know which types of Engineering would be advisable if you only took M1 module in terms of the A Level Maths side?
Reply 15
Original post by LucentDoughnut98
Do you know which types of Engineering would be advisable if you only took M1 module in terms of the A Level Maths side?

CompSci if you're into that?
Original post by TVIO
CompSci if you're into that?

Not really into compsci, what about Civil Engineering? Ive got the Physics but just unable to do M2, however i would like to do Engineering, am i screwed??
This thread is seven months old . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by LucentDoughnut98
Not really into compsci, what about Civil Engineering? Ive got the Physics but just unable to do M2, however i would like to do Engineering, am i screwed??

Ah if you've got physics, then you're eligible to get into any branch you want! M2 is not really that much more difficult than M1 as long as you found M1 relatively easy by the end of it.
Reply 19
Original post by Edminzodo
This thread is seven months old . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Over 2 years actually :P

Quick Reply

Latest