The Student Room Group

Narrowing down my options to four...

I am in Year 11 and am currently deciding what to do for my A Levels. I have an idea of five:
English Literature
History
Creative Writing
Religious Studies
Psychology
I am planning on going to university to study English Literature and maybe a combined course of English Literature and Creative Writing (this course is offered at universities such as UEA and Warwick). I have been achieving A*s in English, and I have a passion for it. However, I would like to narrow my options down to four in the first year and three in the second year. English Literature and History are my two definite options, so it is really a question of which two do I choose between Creative Writing, Religious Studies and Psychology.
There are pros and cons to each of these three subjects. Creative Writing is a possible university course / career path for me, however it is a relatively new subject at A Level and nobody has been really very clear to me about how credible it is in the eyes of the top / Russell Group universities (and this also goes for Religious Studies and Psychology). Also, some may argue that it is less varied (in that you only study, develop and practice writing skills in workshops) than, say, Religious Studies, which involves essay writing, understanding society and interrogating and analyzing arguments, therefore tying in well with English Literature. Also, I have recently had a lecture in Religious Studies (although we call it Philosophy and Ethics, it is the same thing) and have really gotten into it. On the other hand, I really like Psychology and have been interested in it for a long time now. With Psychology and Creative Writing I have not been able to do them at GCSE level, whereas Religious Studies / Philosophy and Ethics, I have been doing it and achieving A/A*s. Also, my school would only allow me to do Psychology to AS level and no further due to the nature of how my school is offering it.
My main objective is to study subjects that will support English Literature to the fullest potential. If anyone out there has any advice which could help me choose my final options (baring in mind that I think I get my options form soon - so please reply to this post ASAP) keeping this objective in mind it would be most appreciated.

Thank you to anyone who replies,
Stephanie.
Reply 1
Original post by stepha99
x

By the sounds of it you're looking to apply to a top university. As both psychology and creative writing could be considered "soft", I would personally say you shouldn't take both. I believe most uni's happily accept one soft subject, though.

Another thing to perhaps note is how narrow taking English lit and creative writing your options would be. I believe a number of Uni's do not accept people doing language and literature, and there is a chance lit and creative writing would be the same.

Have you tried emailing some uni's your interested in for advice on subjects, what they don't accept and do accept? That could work too.

Personally, I'd take English lit, history, religious studies and psychology. But as the cliché saying goes, pick what you think you'll enjoy the most and do the best in.
I have an idea of five:
However, I would like to narrow my options down to four in the first year and three in the second year.

Why?
I am in Year 11 and am currently deciding what to do for my A Levels. I have an idea of five:
English Literature
History
Creative Writing
Religious Studies
Psychology
I am planning on going to university to study English Literature and maybe a combined course of English Literature and Creative Writing (this course is offered at universities such as UEA and Warwick). I have been achieving A*s in English, and I have a passion for it. However, I would like to narrow my options down to four in the first year and three in the second year. English Literature and History are my two definite options, so it is really a question of which two do I choose between Creative Writing, Religious Studies and Psychology.
There are pros and cons to each of these three subjects. Creative Writing is a possible university course / career path for me, however it is a relatively new subject at A Level and nobody has been really very clear to me about how credible it is in the eyes of the top / Russell Group universities (and this also goes for Religious Studies and Psychology). Also, some may argue that it is less varied (in that you only study, develop and practice writing skills in workshops) than, say, Religious Studies, which involves essay writing, understanding society and interrogating and analyzing arguments, therefore tying in well with English Literature. Also, I have recently had a lecture in Religious Studies (although we call it Philosophy and Ethics, it is the same thing) and have really gotten into it. On the other hand, I really like Psychology and have been interested in it for a long time now. With Psychology and Creative Writing I have not been able to do them at GCSE level, whereas Religious Studies / Philosophy and Ethics, I have been doing it and achieving A/A*s. Also, my school would only allow me to do Psychology to AS level and no further due to the nature of how my school is offering it.
My main objective is to study subjects that will support English Literature to the fullest potential. If anyone out there has any advice which could help me choose my final options (baring in mind that I think I get my options form soon - so please reply to this post ASAP) keeping this objective in mind it would be most appreciated.

Thank you to anyone who replies,
Stephanie.

I was under the impression that Creative Writing is a kind of "extra" A-Level - like Critical Thinking, General Studies or an EPQ - which are worth taking but generally for academically strong pupils who are taking them as a supplement to their core A Levels, e.g. as a fifth AS, maybe doing it after school (that's what they did in my school). Objectively speaking, as long as you're fulfilling the entry requirements you'll be fine and if you want to take AS Creative Writing then that's fine probably, but it might be seen as better if you didn't have that as one of your main subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by morgan8002
Why?

Because I would like to focus on three in the second year in order to not spread my concentration too thin. And in the first year, because subjects like Creative Writing and/or Psychology would be new to me, I wouldn't want to do five so that I don't suffer too much in the jump from GCSE to A Levels.
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
I was under the impression that Creative Writing is a kind of "extra" A-Level - like Critical Thinking, General Studies or an EPQ - which are worth taking but generally for academically strong pupils who are taking them as a supplement to their core A Levels, e.g. as a fifth AS, maybe doing it after school (that's what they did in my school). Objectively speaking, as long as you're fulfilling the entry requirements you'll be fine and if you want to take AS Creative Writing then that's fine probably, but it might be seen as better if you didn't have that as one of your main subjects.

Yes I see where you're coming from there - it is a relatively new subject to the A Level curriculum and therefore maybe not as traditionally valued. Thank you for your reply and I shall consider this when choosing my options.
Reply 6
Original post by AdamCee
By the sounds of it you're looking to apply to a top university. As both psychology and creative writing could be considered "soft", I would personally say you shouldn't take both. I believe most uni's happily accept one soft subject, though.

Another thing to perhaps note is how narrow taking English lit and creative writing your options would be. I believe a number of Uni's do not accept people doing language and literature, and there is a chance lit and creative writing would be the same.

Have you tried emailing some uni's your interested in for advice on subjects, what they don't accept and do accept? That could work too.

Personally, I'd take English lit, history, religious studies and psychology. But as the cliché saying goes, pick what you think you'll enjoy the most and do the best in.

Thank you for your response. Originally I was going to do English Literature, History, Creative Writing and Psychology however more recently I have been considering Religious Studies. Yeah, I had heard that lang and lit wasn't as well regarded as lit. And alongside the other reply to this post I'm no longer sure whether lit and CW would be any better than lit and lang.
And your point about emailing unis...I think I might just do that! I've been a bit unsure of where I would email to, but I guess its just the admissions office.
Thank you very much again and I will consider your information when making my decisions in a few weeks.
Reply 7
Thank you for your response. Originally I was going to do English Literature, History, Creative Writing and Psychology however more recently I have been considering Religious Studies. Yeah, I had heard that lang and lit wasn't as well regarded as lit. And alongside the other reply to this post I'm no longer sure whether lit and CW would be any better than lit and lang.
And your point about emailing unis...I think I might just do that! I've been a bit unsure of where I would email to, but I guess its just the admissions office.
Thank you very much again and I will consider your information when making my decisions in a few weeks.

I've done it a couple of times before, go onto the Uni's website and then on the course somewhere it will have contact details to the department, iirc.

And no problem :smile:
If you want to do an English Lit and Creative Writing combined course, they won't think creative writing is a 'soft' subject. In most places, particularly UEA and Warwick, you have to submit a portfolio of creative writing work, which means it is really helpful to do creative writing as an A-Level as in the class they teach you how to prepare portfolios and will help you select your strongest work for submission.
The Russell Group's list of 'facilitating' subjects is very small: it is sciences, maths, geography, history, languages and English lit. Trinity College Cambridge publish a list of subjects that include the above as well as RS, Philosophy, Economics and Art History as their 'preferred', with Psychology and Creative Writing on a 'less preferred' list alongside Politics, Law, a Sociology etc.
First things first I'd just make 100% sure that creative writing is accepted by potential universities you're interested in (I think it probably will be for the course you want to do.)

In that case I would personally do Lit, History, RS and creative writing in your situation as AS results can shock a lot of people, and I think it would be a potential concern if you (I hope you don't!!) got an unfavourable grade in one of your other subjects but had to keep it due to taking psychology.

This would be my thought process, but as I said, just make 100% sure that creative writing is seen as a sufficient 4th subject
What jobs can you get with a creative writing degree? :confused:
don't do creative writing

Quick Reply

Latest