The Student Room Group

M1 a level maths help

A particle is constrained to move along a straight line through O. it starts initially at D, which is a fixed distance from O in the positive direction and moves at a constant velocity of 4m/s for 15 seconds until it is 100m from O. It remains 100m from O for a further 25 seconds, after which it travels in the opposite direction for 20 seconds. the total distance traveled is 180m.

i) What is the velocity in the final stage of the journey? (2)
ii) What is the final displacement of the particle from its initial position? (2)
Reply 1
bump
Original post by Nels98
bump

1. Put you question in the maths forum where other mathematicians are likely to see it.

2. Show some attempt at the question as the maths forum frowns on please do my homework for me postings.

3. This question is about understanding that velocity and displacement are similar to but different from speed and distance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Nels98
A particle is constrained to move along a straight line through O. it starts initially at D, which is a fixed distance from O in the positive direction and moves at a constant velocity of 4m/s for 15 seconds until it is 100m from O. It remains 100m from O for a further 25 seconds, after which it travels in the opposite direction for 20 seconds. the total distance traveled is 180m.

i) What is the velocity in the final stage of the journey? (2)
ii) What is the final displacement of the particle from its initial position? (2)

might be a bit late now, but both questions are two-markers so a simple application of the SUVAT equations should suffice
Reply 4
Original post by Gax
might be a bit late now, but both questions are two-markers so a simple application of the SUVAT equations should suffice

ok cheers

Quick Reply