The Student Room Group

Please help with a level choices!!!

I am in year 11 and picking my a level subjects! I am thinking biology, chemistry, french and English literature but I'm worried they will be too difficult :frown:
For my mocks, I got a*s in those subjects except from biology, but previously I have achieved a*s. I am really keen to go into speech and language therapy too... Any advice would be muchly appreciated!
Reply 1
As I do not know much about speech and language therapy I can't really recommond any subjects, HOWEVER don't not choose a subject just because you think it is going to be "too hard". A Levels are going to be difficult regardless, and to get into a good university you need the good subjects, which tend to be difficult. Your subject choices are good, a good mix of science and humanities which go well together, shows you are versatile. Also, it doesn't matter if you get an A* in your mock, it's what you get in your exams is what matters, so don't base your subjects on your mock grades. I know someone who got a B in GCSE Biology and got an A at AS, so don't let that put you off.

Good Luck! :smile:
Original post by drowzee
As I do not know much about speech and language therapy I can't really recommond any subjects, HOWEVER don't not choose a subject just because you think it is going to be "too hard". A Levels are going to be difficult regardless, and to get into a good university you need the good subjects, which tend to be difficult. Your subject choices are good, a good mix of science and humanities which go well together, shows you are versatile. Also, it doesn't matter if you get an A* in your mock, it's what you get in your exams is what matters, so don't base your subjects on your mock grades. I know someone who got a B in GCSE Biology and got an A at AS, so don't let that put you off.

Good Luck! :smile:

Thank you for your reply! It has definitely put me at ease a bit about my own subject choices! What did you take and what do you think of them?
Original post by ruthie_nuggetty
I am in year 11 and picking my a level subjects! I am thinking biology, chemistry, french and English literature but I'm worried they will be too difficult :frown:
For my mocks, I got a*s in those subjects except from biology, but previously I have achieved a*s. I am really keen to go into speech and language therapy too... Any advice would be muchly appreciated!

If you revise well and put in enough work then no subjects are too hard in my opinion, but I would suggest doing English language instead of literature if you can.
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply! It has definitely put me at ease a bit about my own subject choices! What did you take and what do you think of them?

Your welcome, and if you need any advice at anytime, your welcome to PM me.
I'm in the lower sixth doing Maths, Furthter Maths, Physics and English Literature. I enjoy all my subjects, though English can be a tad ime consuming, it's actually not too difficult though. Maths isn't actually too bad, FM is difficult but doable and Physics is quite hard, definitely my hardest subject!
Original post by HistoryStudent1
If you revise well and put in enough work then no subjects are too hard in my opinion, but I would suggest doing English language instead of literature if you can.

Thank you, its really frustrating because my school don't offer english language! :frown: What subjects are you/did you take and what did you think of them?
Reply 6
Original post by HistoryStudent1

OP look at the universities you're interested and look at their subject requirements, don't pick English Language if it is not needed. If you change your mind, English Lit is a much better subject to have.
Thank you, its really frustrating because my school don't offer english language! :frown: What subjects are you/did you take and what did you think of them?

I took English language and literature, history, maths and photography but I'm hoping to do history at university. At the moment the only subject I didn't get an A in from mocks was photography so I would say that I'm enjoying them.
I am currently applying to do speech therapy as a mature student. It is a very competitive course. People often take A levels in biology and psychology alongside other A level (s). It is also important to get some voluntary work experience before applying to do the degree. If you look at the Forum for the 2015 speech and language it may give you some insights.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2751899&page=67&p=53069501&highlight=speech%20therapy#post53069501

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest