The Student Room Group

gcse medicine requirements

Hi, I plan to study medicine and at the moment i now study 10 gcses,which are the following
target grades
1.maths B
2.biology A*
3.chemistry A*
4.physics A*
5.history A*
6.geography B
7.citizenship B
8.drama B
9.english language A
10. English literature B

Hypothetically if i got these grades at gcse which I plan to get would i be able to study medicine at say 3/4 years time after my a-levels as i am in yr 11 now,could someone please tell me what advantages i have,what do i need to improve on and HOW!

Any other advice would be grateful,literally anything! also i have about 4 months till exams so how much revision should i be doing and no one please say"oh i didn't do any till April or may" because that's not me.

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Uni's don't really pay much attention to GCSEs; for any course. So long as you have the pass in English, Maths and maybe the sciences (for medicine), you should be fine. It's only really Oxbridge and the top uni's who I've heard put much stock in GCSEs.
Also, individual requirements can be found on uni websites.
Original post by crozibear96
Uni's don't really pay much attention to GCSEs; for any course. So long as you have the pass in English, Maths and maybe the sciences (for medicine), you should be fine. It's only really Oxbridge and the top uni's who I've heard put much stock in GCSEs.

Only top units do offer medicine...

Not true that Unis don't pay attention to GCSEs:

St George's - 8A equivalent
http://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/medicine-mbbs/entry-criteria
Oxford "a potential Oxford applicant has a GCSE profile which is strong overall (ie contains a large majority of A and A* grades)." http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements

Others:
Some Medical Schools require a
minimum number of GCSE s atspecific grades eg
Birmingham 8 A *
Bristol 5 A*/A
East Anglia 6 A s
Leeds at least 6 Bs• Keele 4-5 As
Nottingham 6 As
Southampton 7 A-Bs

Cambridge "here is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses." http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/thefacts.html
[QUOTE="mazzletazzle;53054413"]

Only top units do offer medicine...

Not true that Unis don't pay attention to GCSEs:

St George's - 8A equivalent
http://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/medicine-mbbs/entry-criteria
Oxford "a potential Oxford applicant has a GCSE profile which is strong overall (ie contains a large majority of A and A* grades)." http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements

Others:
Some Medical Schools require a
minimum number of GCSE s atspecific grades eg
Birmingham 8 A *
Bristol 5 A*/A
East Anglia 6 A s
Leeds at least 6 Bs• Keele 4-5 As
Nottingham 6 As
Southampton 7 A-Bs

Cambridge "here is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses." http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/thefacts.html

That's why I added the "individual requirements can be found on uni websites".
[QUOTE="crozibear96;53054503"]
Original post by mazzletazzle

That's why I added the "individual requirements can be found on uni websites".

Okay.. "Uni's" = grammatically incorrect (wrong use of apostrophe in case you are confused) Also... should be singular not plural as this is only true for one - Cambridge

"maybe the sciences" ... "maybe" ?????????? this is your advice to a potential med student...

Be careful offering advice that is overly-simplistic, misleading or simply ill-informed. This is his/her life you are messing with
Original post by johney37
Hi, I plan to study medicine and at the moment i now study 10 gcses,which are the following
target grades
1.maths B
2.biology A*
3.chemistry A*
4.physics A*
5.history A*
6.geography B
7.citizenship B
8.drama B
9.english language A
10. English literature B

Hypothetically if i got these grades at gcse which I plan to get would i be able to study medicine at say 3/4 years time after my a-levels as i am in yr 11 now,could someone please tell me what advantages i have,what do i need to improve on and HOW!

Any other advice would be grateful,literally anything! also i have about 4 months till exams so how much revision should i be doing and no one please say"oh i didn't do any till April or may" because that's not me.

thanks

You need to get them up to a 6A*/A average minimum. Maths is critical. You will need to study it / Physics at A Level (as most of your competitors will - even if the med school does not specify both...) They are a really good set of results... one last push until you get to June!!

Revision:

1. Break each subject into tasks and create a timetable that is specific for each free session
2. Aim to do 2 45m sessions per evening with a 15m break at least between them
3. Download all past papers that you can and time yourself taking the questions - be brutal... don't allow yourself extra time.
4. Ask the teachers for specific feedback and if possible, rewrite EACH piece of marked work (especially in the Humanities subjects) to improve
5. Improve Maths by revising systematically using MathsWatch (Mymaths is a bit basic beyond B Grade), - ask for additional material and CRUCIALLY, a good teacher to mark it

Good luck
[QUOTE="mazzletazzle;53054635"]

Okay.. "Uni's" = grammatically incorrect (wrong use of apostrophe in case you are confused) Also... should be singular not plural as this is only true for one - Cambridge

"maybe the sciences" ... "maybe" ?????????? this is your advice to a potential med student...

Be careful offering advice that is overly-simplistic, misleading or simply ill-informed. This is his/her life you are messing with

1) I didn't ask for an English lesson, thanks.
2) Anyone would know to look at the individual course websites, and especially a "potential med student" would know that they would need to check the websites because their course is simply so specific and competitive.
[QUOTE="crozibear96;53054907"]

1) I didn't ask for an English lesson, thanks.
2) Anyone would know to look at the individual course websites, and especially a "potential med student" would know that they would need to check the websites because their course is simply so specific and competitive.

1. doing you a favour... if you misuse grammar you'll be a little limited in life come UCAS apps etc
2. Then perhaps you shouldn't state the obvious but rather specific information that is useful

Relax... it's okay to be wrong
You need to get them up to a 6A*/A average minimum. Maths is critical. You will need to study it / Physics at A Level (as most of your competitors will - even if the med school does not specify both...) They are a really good set of results... one last push until you get to June!!
Good luck

Most medical schools do not ask for maths or physics at A-level. The main requirement is chemistry taken to A2 and biology at AS-level at least. Most universities require two sciences at A-level which for the majority of applicants comes in the form of chemistry and biology, but can include maths.
Original post by johney37
target grades
1.maths B
2.biology A*
3.chemistry A*
4.physics A*
5.history A*
6.geography B
7.citizenship B
8.drama B
9.english language A
10. English literature B

thanks

I heard that you had to achieve all A* at GCSE to even consider medicine.. (Or at least 10A*)
I'm currently considering medicine- and am doing 13 GCSE's.

My advice for you is to start making small notes now. If you don't understand something, ask the teacher- and read a lot about subject outside, to gain interest.
To be honest, I have a keen interest for science, and really want to do medicine, but I know how difficult it is to get into med school.

Hope I helped in some way. I'm in year 11 also!!
Reply 10
Original post by Examstuffxoxo
I heard that you had to achieve all A* at GCSE to even consider medicine.. (Or at least 10A*)

My advice for you is to start making small notes now. If you don't understand something, ask the teacher- and read a lot about subject outside, to gain interest.
To be honest, I have a keen interest for science, and really want to do medicine, but I know how difficult it is to get into med school.

hey man what sort of revision are you doing and how much also what are you predicted?
Original post by TheStudent18
Most medical schools do not ask for maths or physics at A-level. The main requirement is chemistry taken to A2 and biology at AS-level at least. Most universities require two sciences at A-level which for the majority of applicants comes in the form of chemistry and biology, but can include maths.

Careful... not quite right "

Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level."

Cambridge (and St Georges to name but 2)

All ask for one or other

Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level."

All ask for one or other

I said most medical schools don't require maths/physics, I know that some do.

All ask for one or other

The bit I have made in bold is incorrect. Not all medical schools require maths or physics. Chemistry is a must, though.
The bit I have made in bold is incorrect. Not all medical schools require maths or physics. Chemistry is a must, though.

Evidence?
Evidence?

I've applied to four medical schools and got three interviews so far. I don't have an A-level in maths or physics.

Make sure you research information before you advise people. They may struggle with physics (for example), take it at A-level and end up getting a grade that isn't quite up to standard for medicine.
Why do these threads turn into arguments, chill out
I've applied to four medical schools and got three interviews so far. I don't have an A-level in maths or physics.

Make sure you research information before you advise people. They may struggle with physics (for example), take it at A-level and end up getting a grade that isn't quite up to standard for medicine.

You've done well... most applicants have three science/2+maths

"(as most of your competitors will - even if the med school does not specify both...)"

He messaged and asked about a Cambridge application so I gave him my honest and informed opinion (with 5 friends with Oxbridge medical offers) - the Cambridge statistics show most applicants have 5 AS Levels of which 4 are carried through. In over 80% of applicants this included a set of 3... realism is important if he is to get there.

(edited 9 years ago)
I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm in Yr 11 and want to do medicine.

My grades are:

Maths - A/A*
Chemistry - A/A*
Biology - A/A*
Physics - A/A*
E Lit - A
E Lang - A
Business Studies - A*
Drama - B
Geography - A
Health & Social Care (B-Tec) - Distinction*
Urdu - A*

Do you guys think i stand a chance of getting into a decent uni for medicine
Original post by Examstuffxoxo

Absolute nonsense. 10 A*s or over would mean you needn't worry which medical school you apply to but no way on Earth is it a prerequisite for being in any position to even apply medicine, not even top universities (aka Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL) ask for that.

Quick Reply

Latest