The Student Room Group

I'm from France Guys !!

Hi Guys !!
My name is Virginia, I'm now 19. I live in France next to Paris. I made 1st year of medicine but I fail because here, in France there is a enormous exam, which select only 313 students over 2400 to pass in 2nde year. I arrived in 690 rank. As i'm not in 313 people, doors of medicine in France are closed for me.
To be a doctor is a passion, a vocation that I had when I was 5 years old. So imagine my mental situation when I heard that I never could be a doctor !!

But i hear that we can study medicine in England and it is more efficient than in France, regarding the course's programm and the way that is teached.

The only problem is tuitions fees. I'm a middle class family and pay $9000 could be hard but it's ok.

So I want your help guys :
- Which medical Uni can you advice to me ?
-Is there any scholarship for abroad students
- How is medical study there ?
- If tuitions fees is less than another uni, is that mean that the teaching is not good ?
- In which Uni fees are less ?

I have so many questions but if you answer to these questions, It could be a big help for me to make my plan.
I'm sorry if I made some language mistake

See you soon
Virginie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Virginmobile
Hi Guys !!
My name is Virginia, I'm now 19. I live in France next to Paris. I made 1st year of medicine but I fail because here, in France there is a enormous exam, which select only 313 students over 2400 to pass in 2nde year. I arrived in 690 rank. As i'm not in 313 people, doors of medicine in France are closed for me.
To be a doctor is a passion, a vocation that I had when I was 5 years old. So imagine my mental situation when I heard that I never could be a doctor !!

But i hear that we can study medicine in England and it is more efficient than in France, regarding the course's programm and the way that is teached.

The only problem is tuitions fees. I'm a middle class family and pay $9000 could be hard but it's ok.

- If tuitions fees is less than another uni, is that mean that the teaching is not good ?

I have so many questions but if you answer to these questions, It could be a big help for me to make my plan.

See you soon
Virginie

You are unlikely to be admitted to a medical school in the UK if you've previously been on a medical course. You'll need to email some university admissions departments directly to find out whether they'd consider you.

As an EU citizen you should at least be entitled to UK tuition fee loans.

All medical courses in England and Wales will have the £9000 fees. Those in Scotland will have lower fees for Scottish and EU citizens (but not English/Welsh students, who pay £9000 there as well).
Welcome to TSR. I am reasonably familiar with the French system, as I spent several years working in a French-speaking African country which still follows the French medical school system. I was under the impression that most people expect to have to do first year at least twice, before having a high enough ranking to be able to proceed to second year? Would it not be better to try doing first year again? It sounds like you got a very respectable score the first time, and maybe you would be able to improve on this if you tried again? You have my respect though, I would struggle to motivate myself to work hard for first year, knowing that there was a very low chance of being selected for second year. Bon courage pour la suite!
Merci pour votre encouragement
But the results is my repeated year results. So I can't try again. That's why I think to do medicine in England.
Original post by Ronove
You are unlikely to be admitted to a medical school in the UK if you've previously been on a medical course. You'll need to email some university admissions departments directly to find out whether they'd consider you.

As an EU citizen you should at least be entitled to UK tuition fee loans.

All medical courses in England and Wales will have the £9000 fees. Those in Scotland will have lower fees for Scottish and EU citizens (but not English/Welsh students, who pay £9000 there as well).

Thank you Ronovo for your information. I was in a special English class when I was in Highschool. I attend also cambridge certification in English and I have B2 level. Do you think there is any little chance ?
I'm going to made some research
thank you so much:smile:
Reply 5
Thank you Ronovo for your information. I was in a special English class when I was in Highschool. I attend also cambridge certification in English and I have B2 level. Do you think there is any little chance ?
I'm going to made some research
thank you so much:smile:

You might require level C1 rather than B2, especially for Medicine.

I'm just starting in Denmark for example, and for any uni course in Danish you need to pass the four skills of C1, whereas for Medicine you need to get 7 or above (out of 12) in each of the four skills rather than just passing. You'll need to check on med school websites and if in doubt, ask admissions tutors at the med schools you're interested in.
Reply 6
Hi Guys !!

See you soon
Virginie

Check Malta - the course is in English and you wion't pay 9000 pounds.
Reply 7
Original post by Ronove
You are unlikely to be admitted to a medical school in the UK if you've previously been on a medical course. You'll need to email some university admissions departments directly to find out whether they'd consider you..

That's not necessarily true, French system is different and the first year could be considered as pre-med (to my best knowledge, it is common year for medicine, dentistry and pharmacy). So OP did not interrupted her medical course, and did not fail. She simply did not get in to medicine at the selection point.

Regardless, she should take the advice above and explain the situation to Admissions.

Scottish Universities will be free, but the recod of acceptance of EU students is dismal.
Have you tried getting into medical school in Belgium/Quebec? I spoke to someone the other day who was telling me a lot of French medical students end up studying in Belgium, plus it's a lot cheaper than the UK and you get all of that wonderful beer. :smile:
Original post by Ronove
You might require level C1 rather than B2, especially for Medicine.

I'm just starting in Denmark for example, and for any uni course in Danish you need to pass the four skills of C1, whereas for Medicine you need to get 7 or above (out of 12) in each of the four skills rather than just passing. You'll need to check on med school websites and if in doubt, ask admissions tutors at the med schools you're interested in.

Thanks Ronovo for this details
Original post by Iz08

Yeah but I have to pay $ 25000 for one year ! I made some research too :tongue:
Reply 11
Merci pour votre encouragement
But the results is my repeated year results. So I can't try again. That's why I think to do medicine in England.

Go in Romania or Portugal like the others.
Original post by WishIHadRevised
Have you tried getting into medical school in Belgium/Quebec? I spoke to someone the other day who was telling me a lot of French medical students end up studying in Belgium, plus it's a lot cheaper than the UK and you get all of that wonderful beer. :smile:

LoL for beer !!! :biggrin:
Yeah but the selection is made by drawing lots for Belgium !! And now they accept less and less abroad students !!
Original post by Josb
Go in Romania or Portugal like the others.

Yeah I saw Romania too but to make practices in Hospital You have to learn their languages !!
Reply 14
Yeah I saw Romania too but to make practices in Hospital You have to learn their languages !!

And the Portuguese one?
LoL for beer !!! :biggrin:
Yeah but the selection is made by drawing lots for Belgium !! And now they accept less and less abroad students !!

Is it the same for Luxembourg? :/ Failing that there's always Cyprus, and they have lower fees than here in the UK. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Iz08
Yeah but I have to pay $ 25000 for one year ! I made some research too

Not to my best knowledge. You are EU not international, and for EU and Maltese it is free.
See here
https://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/232858/UG15-1620141216.pdf
Reply 17
Original post by WishIHadRevised

Quebec?!!! You need a degree to get to any Canadian med school, and it is insanely competitive. As an international, you'd pay tuition $30k+.
Original post by Iz08
Original post by Iz08
Yeah but I have to pay $ 25000 for one year ! I made some research too

Not to my best knowledge. You are EU not international, and for EU and Maltese it is free.
See here
https://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/232858/UG15-1620141216.pdf

Malta have just imposed a 'medical Maltese' exam which costs 6000Euros (course + exam) PLUS rent/food/water bills/gas bills for the 3 month course. It's put off 90% of internationals that were going to apply there really not a good idea tbh.
Yeah but I have to pay $ 25000 for one year ! I made some research too :tongue:

Original post by Iz08

Hello, for those looking at lower fees with accredited courses there is also the option of studying in Spain, we have assisted many students through this route and there are still places available for medicine and dentistry.

With in Spain you can choose to study at a private university where fees are about 15,000 euro per year or you can study at a state university where the fees are at present only 4.500/5000 euros per year (considerably cheaper than that of the UK)- the difference is that with the state universities there are examinations along with prerequisits and at the private university just an entry exam.

The state option is favourable due to the cost however the tests can be tricky, this does not mean to say it is impossible, we have students who chose this pathway and are successfully progressing through the years and are very happy. We have also placed students in to the private route and they too are equally happy. We do assess students case by case so feel free to enquire to see how we can help you.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending