The Student Room Group

Living with coursemates - will we get sick of each other?

I'm most likely living with five coursemates next year. Nobody in my flat even considers living together so it isn't an option, and the coursemates I'm living with are pretty much all my friends here. Now don't get me wrong they're very nice people and I enjoy spending time with them, but I'm afraid of this leading to a stuffy living space next year. No matter how much I like them, if I spend all my day time with them on top of living under the same roof, I'll probably get bored of seeing the same faces after a while. How can I prevent this from happening, without offending anyone? Is returning to uni accommodation worth it?
I'm currently living with 3 of my coursemates (and one other). It's fine, we mostly stick to our own rooms but quite frequently all end up in the kitchen/lounge chatting. I was nervous when we arranged it about what it would be like but it's been great and I'm so much happier this year than I was last year (didn't really get on with my flatmates).

I think it depends on what kind of person you are, we're all physics students, so we're all a bit introverted and like staying in our rooms (plus we have a fair bit of work to do!), we have a tv in the lounge but 4 of us also have our own tvs in our rooms, it's not uncommon in our house for 3 people to be watching the same simpsons episode in separate rooms! I did think it might get a bit much but it's been over 3 months now and we still get along great.

EDIT: Probably also worth mentioning, I'm a girl and the other 4 are boys which also made me a bit nervous, particularly the 'RugbyLAD' but again it's been fine, they're all very respectful, the kitchen and bathrooms are reasonably clean and we all knock and wait for an answer before going in anyone's rooms. I had to scramble for my dressing gown yesterday when one of the boys knocked for help with an exam question right after I'd got out of the shower!
(edited 9 years ago)
It'd been nothing but trouble this year, don't do it.
Reply 3
Original post by hrbrox
I'm currently living with 3 of my coursemates (and one other). It's fine, we mostly stick to our own rooms but quite frequently all end up in the kitchen/lounge chatting. I was nervous when we arranged it about what it would be like but it's been great and I'm so much happier this year than I was last year (didn't really get on with my flatmates).

I think it depends on what kind of person you are, we're all physics students, so we're all a bit introverted and like staying in our rooms (plus we have a fair bit of work to do!), we have a tv in the lounge but 4 of us also have our own tvs in our rooms, it's not uncommon in our house for 3 people to be watching the same simpsons episode in separate rooms! I did think it might get a bit much but it's been over 3 months now and we still get along great.

EDIT: Probably also worth mentioning, I'm a girl and the other 4 are boys which also made me a bit nervous, particularly the 'RugbyLAD' but again it's been fine, they're all very respectful, the kitchen and bathrooms are reasonably clean and we all knock and wait for an answer before going in anyone's rooms. I had to scramble for my dressing gown yesterday when one of the boys knocked for help with an exam question right after I'd got out of the shower!

It's very similar with our group - all introverted engineering students. One other thing that's putting me off is I'm the only girl in this arrangement, but still I have no other choice and the last thing I want is living with a randomised group of strangers for another year.
I didn't like living with a coursemate but it was more to do with a clash of work style - she liked to think and talk about work all the time and was constantly working in the living room and asking me course-questions whereas I liked to work in the library and then have my home space as a break and time away... she also worked a lot harder than me and it was constantly stressful feeling like I should be doing more
Original post by Anonymous
It's very similar with our group - all introverted engineering students. One other thing that's putting me off is I'm the only girl in this arrangement, but still I have no other choice and the last thing I want is living with a randomised group of strangers for another year.

You'll probably be fine then, honestly this year has made me realise how unhappy I was last year. You'll probably fall into the same pattern as us really, go to uni in the morning, spend all day in lectures/labs with each other and a few others then come home and disappear into our rooms until we get hungry. I usually have dinner around the same time as one of the boys and we watch tv together while eating then go back to our rooms. Sounds kind of antisocial but it's perfect really, everyone works in their own room unless we've planned to work together on something but no one minds if you're stuck on something and want help.

I was worried that I would feel insecure about how much work I was doing, like there'd be pressure to look like I was doing more work because of living with coursemates but I've found I actually seem to do more work than the rest of them and because we stick to our rooms mostly anyway they can't tell when I'm working or not. Plus the other benefit, when you have coursework/deadlines, so do they! So they'll be considerate, unlike my flatmates from last year.
We have a two week exam period and last summer they had 2 exams each, 1 at the start and one at the end. Whereas I had 4 in 11 days. They knew I had more exams in less time but that didn't stop them staying up until 2-3am every night shrieking in the corridor outside my room. It was driving me insane and I was so glad to be leaving. I put my music on loud while I was packing as payback as I finished 3 days before they did so they were still revising.:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending