The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The UCL PPE thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Maestori
In the email they make you choose choice of stream and if you want q-step or not, what's interesting about it however is that the decision seems to be irreversible at least according to the wording in the email. I strongly believe it has to do with offers and reqs, since econ & pol requires A* Maths while PP doesn't. They also said that you could consider yourself rejected if you didn't respond within a week.

Why would they send the email out to only a few people then? Unless they're sending it out in a cycles. Then the ones who got the email now will probably be the ones to hear first.
Ahhh, who knows what they're thinking :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Rid
Why would they send the email out to only a few people then? Unless they're sending it out in a cycles. Then the ones who got the email now will probably be the ones to hear first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats what I thought! That the people getting these emails are a part of the first batch of applications they are looking at - but who knows?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rid

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only have AAA and thus am only qualified for the Politics & Philosophy stream, so this might be why I personally didn't receive the e-mail. Doesn't make me feel any better though haha!
Original post by Dprince
I only have AAA and thus am only qualified for the Politics & Philosophy stream, so this might be why I personally didn't receive the e-mail. Doesn't make me feel any better though haha!

I'm predicted an A* in maths and didn't get the email though, so I don't think that's it. Who knows, I guess the idea of them doing it in cycles is the best guess we have. 😞😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly, I believe we with e-mails will be the first to hear from UCL, since they have to take your choice of stream into account for a potential offer.
Original post by Teddysmith123
Thats what I thought! That the people getting these emails are a part of the first batch of applications they are looking at - but who knows?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long will it take for UCL to reply to everyone?
I'm international, so I don't know the dates for when all the schools are required to reply.
Original post by Dprince
How are your academic credentials, if you don't mind me asking?:colondollar:

GCSE: 10A* 1B
AS-level: 3A 1B (Maths, Economics, History and Latin ( the B)
A2-level predictions: 3A* 1A (A in Latin)

Mixture of extracurricular things, Head Boy, etc

Might have been my PS, don't know :frown:
Guys, I have a question. Is an a* in maths required if you choose to do Phil and econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by inclop4.5
Guys, I have a question. Is an a* in maths required if you choose to do Phil and econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think philosophy and economics is an option 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can switch to Phil and Econ after the first year according to UCL's website.
Original post by ooftar
I'm predicted an A* in maths and didn't get the email though, so I don't think that's it. Who knows, I guess the idea of them doing it in cycles is the best guess we have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think cycles is a good suggestion. It helps me to sleep at night anyway:biggrin:

Original post by Haza2012
GCSE: 10A* 1B
AS-level: 3A 1B (Maths, Economics, History and Latin ( the B)
A2-level predictions: 3A* 1A (A in Latin)

Mixture of extracurricular things, Head Boy, etc

Might have been my PS, don't know :frown:

I wouldn't worry about LSE tbh. It's such a lottery there and they like their international students because of Fee paying etc. I once heard a story that they rejected 1 in 100 applicants on the basis that they were unlucky. They found the grounds to warrant them unlucky based on the fact that they were picked as the 1 in 100. lmfao. You will definitely get into UCL which is depressing to say because that means there's one less place for someone like me with only AAA achieved. :redface:
Original post by Dprince
I think cycles is a good suggestion. It helps me to sleep at night anyway:biggrin:

I wouldn't worry about LSE tbh. It's such a lottery there and they like their international students because of Fee paying etc. I once heard a story that they rejected 1 in 100 applicants on the basis that they were unlucky. They found the grounds to warrant them unlucky based on the fact that they were picked as the 1 in 100. lmfao. You will definitely get into UCL which is depressing to say because that means there's one less place for someone like me with only AAA achieved. :redface:

haha, thats so stupid, well at least you have confidence I will get in, thats something - Good Luck, Im sure you will be fine :smile:
I assume it's also an A* requirement. That's so much pressure, I hate it. You mess up one question and it's gone..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by inclop4.5
I assume it's also an A* requirement. That's so much pressure, I hate it. You mess up one question and it's gone..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something I completely agree with. The difference between an A and A* is merely a matter of luck with one mistake (that doesn't have to do with your ability in the subject) costing you a university place. What you gonna do though eh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we think your more likely to get a place if you choose Politics and Philosophy or Econ and Politics? Predicted A* in maths, but do we think there are more people for econ and pol or phil and pol?
Do we think your more likely to get a place if you choose Politics and Philosophy or Econ and Politics? Predicted A* in maths, but do we think there are more people for econ and pol or phil and pol?

Dunno. You're asking us to predict the preferences of the entire applicant pool.
You have a predicted A*, so you should be fine entering either one.
haha, thats so stupid, well at least you have confidence I will get in, thats something - Good Luck, Im sure you will be fine :smile:

We will both be put out of our misery soon, I'm sure!

I expect them both to be similarly competitive given that on balance the preference of each group will be fragmented by those trying to apply for the 'easier' pool to get in to. Almost guaranteed to be 50/50 haha!
I'm new here, but it's 2 AM and I've just scrolled through the whole thread. The wait is getting pretty unbearable.
Original post by zuzannag
I'm new here, but it's 2 AM and I've just scrolled through the whole thread. The wait is getting pretty unbearable.

Do you have offers from other universities? That helps me. UCL is the only one that hasn't replied back yet. If you have offers from other unis, you should take the time to REALLY look into every aspect of it. It helps me pass the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending