The Student Room Group

Which unis are best for students with anxiety?

I'm currently doing my AS levels, and am only really just starting to think about which university I would like to go to.

I have struggled with anxiety and various other mental health issues for a number of years, and I was wondering which universities would be most supportive?

Of course, I'll be going to open days later on in the year, but it would be useful to know anyone's honest experiences and recommendations. Are there any unis with a particularly relaxed atmosphere? :smile:

I'm looking into doing a degree in history, so one with a good history department would be good, and also I'm not sure how I'd cope in an inner city university, so more rural or out of town ones would be nice too. I'm not fussed about it having good nightlife anyway, as I'm not really into that. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Royal Holloway.
Reply 2
You could try emailing suitable (e.g. right grades, good location) universities about their provisions for students with mental health problems such as long-term counselling and frequent tutor sessions.
I hear keele is very good, I'm not sure though, look it up!
I was actually looking at Royal Holloway and Keele, haha :smile: I absolutely adore the surroundings and the Founders Building. Can anyone give me any information on their history department? Is it any good?
Original post by suirrel
You could try emailing suitable (e.g. right grades, good location) universities about their provisions for students with mental health problems such as long-term counselling and frequent tutor sessions.

I called Cardiff, and they seemed to be pretty on the ball about my kind of issues. Also my brother lives in the area, so that'd be an extra plus really. But I wasn't too sure of the history course, though I haven't looked into it too much
Thanks everyone :smile:
I don't know about any specific ones but I'd go into one with "collegiate" tradition, some small, friendly halls etc - I've heard in London and big cities you've got accommodation spread all over a huge area and it's very difficult to make friends or have supportive people around you. In a small town where you live with people with problems and interests similar to yours all around you it must be easier to feel included :smile:
Original post by Viridiana
I don't know about any specific ones but I'd go into one with "collegiate" tradition, some small, friendly halls etc - I've heard in London and big cities you've got accommodation spread all over a huge area and it's very difficult to make friends or have supportive people around you. In a small town where you live with people with problems and interests similar to yours all around you it must be easier to feel included :smile:

Have you any suggestions as to which unis are like this? :smile:

Yeah, I thought cities could be like that! I liked the look of the history course at Queen Mary, but London just feels so daunting!
Original post by FreyaGreaves
Have you any suggestions as to which unis are like this? :smile:

Yeah, I thought cities could be like that! I liked the look of the history course at Queen Mary, but London just feels so daunting!

I don't know what your grades are etc., personally I'm so in love with Oxford but I know I won't probably be able to get in haha!
Personally I've visited Brighton and Exeter (not unis, towns) and they both seemed really nice to me - small, beautiful, with some stuff to do, but not overwhelming. According to rankings they are also quite good academically. :smile: Also, I've heard St Andrews is good & located in a painfully small, quiet area :biggrin:
Reply 10
The Open Univiersity
I don't know what your grades are etc., personally I'm so in love with Oxford but I know I won't probably be able to get in haha!
Personally I've visited Brighton and Exeter (not unis, towns) and they both seemed really nice to me - small, beautiful, with some stuff to do, but not overwhelming. According to rankings they are also quite good academically. :smile: Also, I've heard St Andrews is good & located in a painfully small, quiet area :biggrin:

I'm not sure what my grades are either because I'm only halfway through AS, haha. But as an indicator, I got high As and one B in my first mocks last week :smile:

Yeah, one of my cousins went to Exeter, and it seemed nice. St Andrews would probably be good location-wise for me, but I get put off by the high entry requirements! I tend to underestimate myself and aim low, so the A*AA requirement for history completely rules it out for me, haha
I'm not sure what my grades are either because I'm only halfway through AS, haha. But as an indicator, I got high As and one B in my first mocks last week :smile:

Yeah, one of my cousins went to Exeter, and it seemed nice. St Andrews would probably be good location-wise for me, but I get put off by the high entry requirements! I tend to underestimate myself and aim low, so the A*AA requirement for history completely rules it out for me, haha

Why would you say that!? You've got 5 choices - you can have one which aims high, one lower than your expectations to be safe, and in the middle three decent choices. You can even have 3 ambitious choices if you've got one left you're sure you'll get into :wink: It's always better to aim higher! You're still in your AS, you have a lot of time. It's better to plan to go to your dream uni and get into the 3rd best than to plan on the 3rd best and get into the 5th :wink: [example haha]
Why would you say that!? You've got 5 choices - you can have one which aims high, one lower than your expectations to be safe, and in the middle three decent choices. You can even have 3 ambitious choices if you've got one left you're sure you'll get into :wink: It's always better to aim higher! You're still in your AS, you have a lot of time. It's better to plan to go to your dream uni and get into the 3rd best than to plan on the 3rd best and get into the 5th :wink: [example haha]

Yes, that's very true, haha. I'll definitely bear that in mind when applying! :smile:
Hi Everyone,

Just noticed your thread and wanted to let you know what support Keele University has to offer for students with anxiety:

Our Mental Health Coordinators are qualified mental health nurses who have many years experience of working within various fields of mental health. They are available to give confidential advice, information and professional support to anyone who is concerned about their own, or someone else's mental health.

Our Counselling and Mental Health team run workshops throughout the year, our next one is running tomorrow and is titled Managing Stress & Anxiety. It aims to equip students with techniques to manage stress and anxiety.

We also have a Student Support team who are there to listen and offer help whether pastoral or academic.

Keele University offers the option of special exam arrangements for students with recognised conditions and students may also be eligible for Disabled Students Allowance which can be used to pay for additional support.

Keele University has 24/7 security which gives a safe feel to our campus based university. We also have support in Halls with trained Resident Support Assistants who live in halls and can be called for out of hours support.

There is also help from other students with Nightline; a confidential information and listening service, run by trained volunteers which can be accessed between 9pm-3am.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Jodie

Student support
That is all very useful information, thank you very much, Keele! Your support network sounds excellent! I'll definitely be looking more into Keele University :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Exceptional
Royal Holloway.

Why Royal Holloway? Just wondering.
That is all very useful information, thank you very much, Keele! Your support network sounds excellent! I'll definitely be looking more into Keele University :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keele is lovely, I went there myself. Very calming and a relaxed campus. I never felt unsafe or on edge there.

Not trying to bash Keele because it really was a fantastic uni and has good prospects at the moment. Although I found the support and counseling services very old fashioned and not very helpful. I wouldn't recommend them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's useful to know, thank you very much for your honesty :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently doing my AS levels, and am only really just starting to think about which university I would like to go to.

I have struggled with anxiety and various other mental health issues for a number of years, and I was wondering which universities would be most supportive?

Of course, I'll be going to open days later on in the year, but it would be useful to know anyone's honest experiences and recommendations. Are there any unis with a particularly relaxed atmosphere? :smile:

I'm looking into doing a degree in history, so one with a good history department would be good, and also I'm not sure how I'd cope in an inner city university, so more rural or out of town ones would be nice too. I'm not fussed about it having good nightlife anyway, as I'm not really into that. :smile:

I was actually looking at Royal Holloway and Keele, haha :smile: I absolutely adore the surroundings and the Founders Building. Can anyone give me any information on their history department? Is it any good?

Hi there!

I came across your post and thought I might be able to help by providing you with some information about Royal Holloway's history department, and to let you know about what support we offer our students.

Our History department is one of the largest in the UK, which means we offer a wide range of historical subjects but, as we have a relatively small-medium sized campus, we still prioritise treating our students as individuals. History ranked 7th (out of 99 departments) in the UK for overall student satisfaction, and 99% of our students thought our staff were good at explaining things, and gave us a total score of 96% for the quality of our teaching (National Student Survey, 2014).

Also, the Department of History ranked joint first among other UK history departments for its research with impact (REF 2014). This means that the research and work generated by the department has been judged to have a real benefit to greater society. You can find more information about this here.

Statistics aside, Royal Holloway is only 40 minutes away from central London by train, but we are actually located in leafy Surrey (the campus even has its own wood, where I spotted a deer roaming around the other day!) So you'll definitely be able to find places to relax.

In terms of student support, our Support, health and welfare page might be a useful read. We also have the Disability and Dyslexia Services, who are there to provide support to students with additional learning needs, and this includes students with anxiety. If you wanted to find out what they do in more detail, you can get in touch with the DDS team and they'll be more than happy to have a chat. Their contact details are here.

I hope this information is helpful - please let me know if you need anything else!

Best wishes,

Emily

Quick Reply

Latest