The Student Room Group

My friend is a compulsive liar...what do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kokomi-Chan
That's the trouble, the past few times I've spoken to her about it, she's just gone crazy, shouted at me and told me I'm a horrible friend, and then she kinda just walks away

Oh no, it's a shame when people are like that, because you could genuinely help them if they would listen. Good for you for trying the mature approach though - I lot of people would just distance themselves without saying anything.

If you wanted to help her, I suppose you could write a letter (positive tone, but explaining your problem like you have on this thread), and leave it at that. Alternatively, you could try to get to the root of her problems (as above, it probably relates to insecurity, so you could find a way to give her a confidence boost). It's an interesting lesson in human psychology if nothing else.

However, I'm way too nice. It's not really your job to sort her life out, and this friendship clearly isn't making you happy, so jumping ship is entirely within your rights. In fact, I would probably say it's the best option - you don't need her issues at your age.

Either way, you are absolutely not the one who is a bad friend. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Octohedral
Oh no, it's a shame when people are like that, because you could genuinely help them if they would listen. Good for you for trying the mature approach though - I lot of people would just distance themselves without saying anything.

If you wanted to help her, I suppose you could write a letter (positive tone, but explaining your problem like you have on this thread), and leave it at that. Alternatively, you could try to get to the root of her problems (as above, it probably relates to insecurity, so you could find a way to give her a confidence boost). However, I'm way too nice. It's not really your job to sort her life out, and this friendship clearly isn't making you happy, so jumping ship is entirely within your rights.

Either way, you are absolutely not the one who is a bad friend. :smile:

Thanks - I appreciate the advice, and I just don't know what to do anymore
Original post by Kokomi-Chan
Well, every time I ask her, she tells me she isn't lying and walks away

It's up to you and how you feel about the friendship. Is it worth trying to talk to her again and sort out? If it isn't, then just stick to your other friends.
I mean don't forget your young and you have a future ahead of you, always when you feel down think of that. Don't bother talking to someone who's just a complete waste of your time.
I really appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks guys
Can't you stay friends but put some more distance between you two? Like you can still meet from time to time if you enjoy her company but make it clears you're not BFFs and you don't owe her so much (like her controlling you, what you do).
Ultimately it's your choice, just think wisely :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol a controlling friend? First time ever...

Either tell her she's putting the strain on the friendship or just ditch her

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending