The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by excito
Thanks mrlufc3131 and mcrlawstudent. Impressed and delighted that they've started to send out the invites. Do you both happen to be 2nd year law students? Thanks

No worries mate. I am indeed also a 2nd-year law student!
Original post by dublin1
It doesn't always work like that - with the weil tests for example they sent out the tests to different people on different days. Fingers crossed!

Ah right - not sure why but I assumed since they were non-rolling they'd send out all their interview invites at one time. Hopefully I'm wrong. Cheers!
Guys does anyone know the protocol if I accept a vac scheme but then get a better one and I can't do both, can I just sack the first one off...what are the repercussions?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boing36
Guys does anyone know the protocol if I accept a vac scheme but then get a better one and I can't do both, can I just sack the first one off...what are the repercussions?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not too sure. I'd say first off read the vacation scheme contract they make you sign to see if it says anything. If it doesn't, I guess you can theoretically sack the first one off, however I think they will not like you very much after that so a TC application to that firm will be harder.
Original post by ScroogeHumbug
I am not too sure. I'd say first off read the vacation scheme contract they make you sign to see if it says anything. If it doesn't, I guess you can theoretically sack the first one off, however I think they will not like you very much after that so a TC application to that firm will be harder.

Okay well I haven't signed anything yet I just accepted via email but if I have to do it regardless no point of me going to my interview next week. I'll just make sure I don't sign anything then don't apply to that firm for a TC. Surely there isn't anything else that they can do?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1385
Applied for Freshfields on 6th.
Did my test on the 13th. No reply yet, so will be a week tomorrow.
Thoughts anyone?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
You just withdraw your acceptance. Some firms then might be able to offer the opportunity to someone else. There's no real repercussions, just don't expect to get a TC there!

If they like you, most firms will see if they can bring you in on alternative dates for their vacation schemes (if they have them).

My only advice is not to accept the offer in the first place unless there is a time limit on the offer. You can usually hold out on making a decision for a few weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks J-SP. unfortunately both firms gave me a week in which to respond! But Yeh of course if I get my preferred vac scheme I'll email straight away to let them know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which firms are you thinking of holding out from responding to?

Original post by boing36
Thanks J-SP. unfortunately both firms gave me a week in which to respond! But Yeh of course if I get my preferred vac scheme I'll email straight away to let them know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been googling my socks off to try and find out what sort of topic the Herbert Smith Freehills case study focuses on... does the fictitious client usually want to buy a company or set up a company etc...?

Any advice would be most appreciated as I am feeling extremely apprehensive about this stage of the interview...
Original post by cocolestrange
I've been googling my socks off to try and find out what sort of topic the Herbert Smith Freehills case study focuses on... does the fictitious client usually want to buy a company or set up a company etc...?

Any advice would be most appreciated as I am feeling extremely apprehensive about this stage of the interview...

I wouldn't necessarily google topics and narrow your scope. The case studies are designed so that both law and non-law students can complete them. Therefore, what you should be focused on is working your business acumen. They will be more interested in your thought process throughout the case study. I would make mind maps to show what aspects of the firm you can bring into certain deals and any due diligence issues that you would want to look for. They certainly don't expect you to whizz through it like 5 year PQ.

I hope this helps!
Reply 1390
Original post by lej21
I heard back at the end of last week! Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks very much. Good luck with the telephone interview!
Original post by boing36

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the very worst you will not receive a training contract interview. My friend turned down a Mishcon VS and was PFOd later come TC application time.

It makes sense. For many firms Vac schemes will be where they look for the bulk of prospective trainees. Why ought they consider you if you don't show commitment right from first base. I don't mean this to be a reflection on you, merely what their mindset would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
how long does it take to hear back from A&O?
Original post by givemegoodnews
how long does it take to hear back from A&O?

Post-application or post-interview?
Original post by mj43
Applied for Freshfields on 6th.
Did my test on the 13th. No reply yet, so will be a week tomorrow.
Thoughts anyone?

I submitted my application, and completed the tests, at the end of December. I'm currently waiting to hear back.
Original post by Horse273
Post-application or post-interview?

Sorry post interview?
Original post by NotMikeRoss
PMed you :smile:

Hi,

I have a video interview for Mishcon due this week. Any chance you could give me some insight into your experience?
Thanks
Reply 1397
Does anyone have any advice (other than the STAR technique) on how to answer competency questions well? I never know whether I'm hitting the right points or going into sufficient detail :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pp93
Does anyone have any advice (other than the STAR technique) on how to answer competency questions well? I never know whether I'm hitting the right points or going into sufficient detail :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my experience the STAR approach is used to ensure you go into sufficient depth. Perhaps add on at the end what you learnt from the experience and remember to have the majority of your words focused on the Action part and hit those key buzz words; organisation, teamwork, resilience, problem solving etc.
Freshfields interview for a training contract!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending