The Student Room Group

Math necessary for Economics?

I understand that as a university course a good degree of maths is involved in Economics, but at the A level, erm, level, is maths essential? I am a highly humanities (and math idiot) person but at the same time the topics of econs really appeals to me. Just don't know if I should risk tuition fees and the exam with that subject.....
Original post by grivoise
I understand that as a university course a good degree of maths is involved in Economics, but at the A level, erm, level, is maths essential? I am a highly humanities (and math idiot) person but at the same time the topics of econs really appeals to me. Just don't know if I should risk tuition fees and the exam with that subject.....

Id check on universities websites to see what they say and if they want it or not.
Id take it though, as it will come in useful.
I did OCR economics A-level and the mathematics was very limited. only a few basic questions like percentages. Lots of diagrams and essay writing though.
At uni level it is mostly maths (at least for the module I am doing)
Reply 3

If you're a "math:undefined: idiot", perhaps an Economics degree is not the best choice. Perhaps something more suited to your ability in humanities would bode well. Geography or history, for instance.
Reply 4
Hi, I think I was unclear. I meant I am considering taking Economics for A levels, not as a university degree course.

So far I've had mixed advice - some have told me it is necessary, some have the same option as aliman65s.

Would I be right to say that being math is not dead essential for A level Economics but someone who is good at math is likelier to excel in it?
Hi, I think I was unclear. I meant I am considering taking Economics for A levels, not as a university degree course.

So far I've had mixed advice - some have told me it is necessary, some have the same option as aliman65s.

Would I be right to say that being math is not dead essential for A level Economics but someone who is good at math is likelier to excel in it?

If you want I can give you examples of questions you can expect from A-level economics and university level to give you a sample of what is expected.
Although, if you really don't understand maths then I am not sure you would understand how the diagrams work in economics. Take a look at a demand and supply diagram and see if you can make sense of it first, because that will be what most of your micro AS unit will be based on.
Reply 6
Original post by aliman65
If you want I can give you examples of questions you can expect from A-level economics and university level to give you a sample of what is expected.
Although, if you really don't understand maths then I am not sure you would understand how the diagrams work in economics. Take a look at a demand and supply diagram and see if you can make sense of it first, because that will be what most of your micro AS unit will be based on.

If would be helpful if you could do so, thank you!!!

:smile:
Reply 7
Also, the reason why I am considering Econs is because as a private student, my choices for A level subjects are very much bound to location and whether schools out there are willing to mark my coursework and in the case of languages, whether they can provide a tester for the spoken components. Just to put it out there.....
Also, the reason why I am considering Econs is because as a private student, my choices for A level subjects are very much bound to location and whether schools out there are willing to mark my coursework and in the case of languages, whether they can provide a tester for the spoken components. Just to put it out there.....

Well an AS question from OCR unit 1 is: "Discuss the extent to which a subsidy given to producers might encourage an increase in the consumption of a product such as pu'er tea which generates positive externalities". (18 marks). There will be smaller mark definition questions, drawing diagram questions and explain questions. Maybe a couple of marks on simple calculations.

At university level we get difficult calculation questions. I would put one up but they are all really long and won't copy and paste. A shortened example would be: if a price ceiling is introduced on a monopolist, will there be excess demand? Or given the demand function and a cost function, will the imposition of a tax, t, raise equilibrium price by more than t?
Reply 9
Original post by aliman65
Well an AS question from OCR unit 1 is: "Discuss the extent to which a subsidy given to producers might encourage an increase in the consumption of a product such as pu'er tea which generates positive externalities". (18 marks). There will be smaller mark definition questions, drawing diagram questions and explain questions. Maybe a couple of marks on simple calculations.

At university level we get difficult calculation questions. I would put one up but they are all really long and won't copy and paste. A shortened example would be: if a price ceiling is introduced on a monopolist, will there be excess demand? Or given the demand function and a cost function, will the imposition of a tax, t, raise equilibrium price by more than t?

Hello, thank you for the response. I may be forced to take A Level Economics after all (again, am NOT looking at University level economics).

Quick Reply

Latest