The Student Room Group

want to start dating but am Muslim

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kaiwid23
Sure, I'll back up 'my' interpretation - in Saudi Arabia, Muslims do not date, as is the case in many other Muslim countries in the Middle-East. As the majority of Muslims live in those countries, it is logical to assume that it's a majority view that dating is wrong in Islam.

Your cocky and dismissive attitude is quite offensive. My religious beliefs do not affect my knowledge of faiths, especially if I was brought up in the religion I'm talking about.

You don't seem very knowledgable dear, especially when you decide to bring up Saudi Arabia where women can't even drive, that country is a disgrace to islam..try harder. Just because the majority of the people in one specific place have a backward mentality it doesn't mean you could accuse islam, in Allahs eyes you could perfectly date as long as the parents approve, there is no physical contact and the intention is sincere. A lot of people may not approve because of cultural reasons but at the end of the day we are here to please Allah and not the people.
Original post by Iqbal007
Just to let you know I'm talking from an Islamic point of view and not cultural, in Islam there are no difference of opinion generally when it comes to meeting potential spouses.

A Mahram is needed, who must observe such meetings, a female relative do not count including your mother nor are you two allowed to be left alone without the mahram.

Well I am aware what the Islamic teachings are, I was not left alone. My father decided not to intervene. I met him in a safe public place, near my home it was perfectly fine. Infact because I got to know him without people intervening much, his true colours showed which wouldn't have happened if he was constantly observed. Btw I'm not cultural in any sense of the word, we are liberal but also religious.
Reply 22
Original post by RosyPearl
You don't seem very knowledgable dear, especially when you decide to bring up Saudi Arabia where women can't even drive, that country is a disgrace to islam..try harder. Just because the majority of the people in one specific place have a backward mentality it doesn't mean you could accuse islam, in Allahs eyes you could perfectly date as long as the parents approve, there is no physical contact and the intention is sincere. A lot of people may not approve because of cultural reasons but at the end of the day we are here to please Allah and not the people.

Back off.

He's saying the majority of Muslims hold that view. He's not justifying it so stop trying to create mountain from a mow hill.
Original post by Ahwab
Back off.

He's saying the majority of Muslims hold that view. He's not justifying it so stop trying to create mountain from a mow hill.

Well Saudi Arabia isn't a reliable source and you need to chillax
Reply 24
Well Saudi Arabia isn't a reliable source and you need to chillax

Sorry mom
Well I am aware what the Islamic teachings are, I was not left alone. My father decided not to intervene. I met him in a safe public place, near my home it was perfectly fine. Infact because I got to know him without people intervening much, his true colours showed which wouldn't have happened if he was constantly observed. Btw I'm not cultural in any sense of the word, we are liberal but also religious.

I'm just letting you know, if a mahram is not present observing the meeting than the meeting isn't halal. There's no way around this from an Islamic view point.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm just letting you know, if a mahram is not present observing the meeting than the meeting isn't halal. There's no way around this from an Islamic view point.

So if you went to an interview or a meeting to speak to a man, would you take a mahram with you? I believe its better to have a marram present but its not a must, especially if the girl lives far away from home and met the guy at uni. As long as people can see them and what they are discussing is relevant and halal, its fine.
Reply 27
If you want to date then date, nothing wrong with it at all (you dont need to have sexual relationships if you dont want to)

Whats worrying me is why you are not staying true to your religion? I am not muslim and i dont believe any of islams rules are necessary. And you clearly feel that some of islam's rules are out dated because "times change".
I suggest if you really care a lot about your religion then follow it properly, however if you see these little flaws then you need to have a think about whats more important to you. Being yourself? or following something you dont fully believe in to please other people?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Yes I agree, but since he's in uni I think what's more important is that they're not alone together because Shaytan is always the third :smile: it would be better if a mahram was there aswell

Lol wat
Original post by CJKay
Lol wat

When a man and woman are alone together, shaitaan is the third being present :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No you don't have to tell your parents. If you're asking about whether it's islamically permissible...weeeeellll...it's not really, though I'm not saying you're going to hell or anything (I'm an atheist). I guess you could say that dating allows you get to know someone better, which is very important for something like marriage so you don't end up divorcing a year later. But of course, you're not interested in marriage at the moment.

Dunno op...it's pretty hard to rationalise it. Even if you had hadiths and surahs to back you up, your parents wouldn't think dating is acceptable.

Ultimately, if you want to date, go on. But don't do mental gymnastics to make stuff fit into Islam, just do leave Islam. If that's what you want.

If you're talking about courtship, or getting to know someone before marriage, google Malcolm X's marriage. I'm pretty sure the Nation of Islam used to have social events specifically for that purpose, Betty Sanders and Malcolm got to know each other better at various dinners, social events etc. There must be some old documents outlining procedures and what not...
Stop being religious.

Saudi Arabia is a country where almost 100% of citizens are Muslim. Who are you to tell 30,000,000 people that they are a disgrace to Islam? They pray, they fast, they pay the Zakaat and, due to their location, they probably go on Hajj a lot more than you, too. These people would tell you that YOU are the disgrace to Islam for justifying dating through various loopholes and intricate paths.

In my eyes, neither of you are a disgrace to Islam - I wouldn't even care if you were - but I do think you're quite rude for talking down my attitudes as if they're invalid or stupid just because we don't have the same religious beliefs.
(edited 9 years ago)
So if you went to an interview or a meeting to speak to a man, would you take a mahram with you? I believe its better to have a marram present but its not a must, especially if the girl lives far away from home and met the guy at uni. As long as people can see them and what they are discussing is relevant and halal, its fine.

I'm a guy so I don't have to.
Professional relation/interviews come with different opinions.

I'm sorry to inform you, but on the matter of meeting to get to know a guy for marriage, a Mahram(imam if there is no mahram) is a must. There is absolutely no difference of opinion on this matter.

The scenario of open discussion where one can be seen is, etc I have heard it before, however in situations of having to do school work together.

http://daruliftaa.com/node/5749?txt_QuestionID=
http://islamqa.info/en/13791
I'm a guy so I don't have to.
Professional relation/interviews come with different opinions.

I'm sorry to inform you, but on the matter of meeting to get to know a guy for marriage, a Mahram(imam if there is no mahram) is a must. There is absolutely no difference of opinion on this matter.

The scenario of open discussion where one can be seen is, etc I have heard it before, however in situations of having to do school work together.

http://daruliftaa.com/node/5749?txt_QuestionID=
http://islamqa.info/en/13791

Who puts the rules that in a professional relationship, a woman doesn't need a mahram but when it comes to discussing marriage you do? It doesn't really make a difference a female speaking to a man is interacting the same way under both circumstances, it comes back to culture. The more conservative a culture is the more restriction is placed. Anyway you don't need to bother anymore, the issue doesn't affect you.
Original post by kaiwid23
Saudi Arabia is a country where almost 100% of citizens are Muslim. Who are you to tell 30,000,000 people that they are a disgrace to Islam? They pray, they fast, they pay the Zakaat and, due to their location, they probably go on Hajj a lot more than you, too. These people would tell you that YOU are the disgrace to Islam for justifying dating through various loopholes and intricate paths.

In my eyes, neither of you are a disgrace to Islam - I wouldn't even care if you were - but I do think you're quite rude for talking down my attitudes as if they're invalid or stupid just because we don't have the same religious beliefs.

Let's just agree to disagree
Reply 37
Rather than asking people whether it is right or wrong, do you think, with the way you practice your religion, it is right or wrong? If you don't think it wrong, then go ahead, but if you think it is wrong and would go against the way you interpret your religion, then don't do it. We can't really tell you how to practice your religion including what is right or wrong because different people interpret their own religions differently. It seems to be like your conflicted more out of guilt of doing something wrong in itself rather than questioning whether such deed would be wrong in terms of the religion.
Who puts the rules that in a professional relationship, a woman doesn't need a mahram but when it comes to discussing marriage you do? It doesn't really make a difference a female speaking to a man is interacting the same way under both circumstances, it comes back to culture. The more conservative a culture is the more restriction is placed. Anyway you don't need to bother anymore, the issue doesn't affect you.

These are the opinions of Islamic scholars.......work place is different and with it comes different set of rules depending on which opinion you follow. However, there are certain things which are clear cut and has consensus across the board on matters. Again this isn't about culture, this is the Islamic view points on such matter, even by "Western" scholars.
Wrong.
You should reconsider.
You should reconsider, and eventually you'll clearly see why you are wrong.
You'll realize that you don't want to date, that you never wanted to date, it was a mistake, you never really considered it, or if you did it was only in a brief second , these thoughts aren't your true feelings because you know better, Maybe these thoughts were placed in your mind by outside malevolent forces.

In any case,you could do with some re-education.
Follow me to room 101, comrade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending