The Student Room Group

How many times a day should I train to lose 3 stone? and any ideas on what excersise?

Hello, I'm a 17 year old male. I weigh 15.6 stone and I'm 6"3. I have wanted to lose weight for a while but never got round to doing it. I walk an average of 3 miles a day and consume around 2100 calories a day, I play football like once a week. After my 3rd Growth spurt i seemed to gain weight like crazy, starting at 12 stone and then in the space of a year finally reaching 15.6.

I just wanted advice on what exercise to do and any dietary advice anybody can give.

Thanks.
C

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cosworthf
Hello, I'm a 17 year old male. I weigh 15.6 stone and I'm 6"3. I have wanted to lose weight for a while but never got round to doing it. I walk an average of 3 miles a day and consume around 2100 calories a day, I play football like once a week. After my 3rd Growth spurt i seemed to gain weight like crazy, starting at 12 stone and then in the space of a year finally reaching 15.6.

I just wanted advice on what exercise to do and any dietary advice anybody can give.

Thanks.
C

Honestly I'd say you're fine. You don't sound fat, it sounds more like muscular weight to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Andy98
Honestly I'd say you're fine. You don't sound fat, it sounds more like muscular weight to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

My calf's are all muscle but then my arms and chest are just flab.:dice:
(edited 9 years ago)
I doubt you need to lose 3 stone

firstly unless you're already losing weight you are not eating 2100 calories, I can maintain my weight (without exercise) on more than that and I'm 5'5 and female so a lot lighter than you... your calorie intake will affect your weight more than exercise will as you can cut more out,... as far as exercise goes, just pick something you enjoy and can stick to and do as much as you can
Reply 4
My calf's are all muscle but then my arms and chest are just flab.:dice:

As said above, just eat a little less. You already do lots of exercise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by doodle_333
I doubt you need to lose 3 stone

firstly unless you're already losing weight you are not eating 2100 calories, I can maintain my weight (without exercise) on more than that and I'm 5'5 and female so a lot lighter than you... your calorie intake will affect your weight more than exercise will as you can cut more out,... as far as exercise goes, just pick something you enjoy and can stick to and do as much as you can

Woo! I feel tall!:tongue:

But seriously, I don't even count the calories or anything - I just eat till I'm full.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I eat till im full, but it seems like I eat way too much, my metabolism is fast, so I feel hungry again in like 1-2 hours so I eat again:holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I eat till im full, but it seems like I eat way too much, my metabolism is fast, so I feel hungry again in like 1-2 hours so I eat again:holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

maybe you should think about what you eat? if you're having a lot of sugar and processed junk you will crash and feel hungry again sooner
Original post by Andy98
As said above, just eat a little less. You already do lots of exercise

Walking 3 miles a day (maybe even less than that) and playing football once a week is nothing.

The NHS' most basic recommendations are to perform 10,000 steps per day (minimum) which equates to 3-5 miles a day, and to stress it again, that is the minimum.

1. Eat until you aren't hungry, not until you are full.

2. Eat better - more sources of lean protein, more vegetables, less processed food.

3. You do not have a fast metabolism, if you did you wouldn't be skinny fat and you wouldn't be here.

Thanks.
C

It depends on what look you're trying to achieve. 13.6st at 6"3 will make you look skinny, perhaps still even skinny fat (ie; very little muscle, still a bit of a belly, t-rex arms, etc), especially if you plan to do it with little or no exercise and a poor diet. If you want to get an athletic build you are going to have to weight train.

General Pointers:

1 Become a lot more active - the best thing to do is find something you enjoy and pursue that. If you really enjoy football join a club, train/play 3+ times a week (as opposed to just once), you will get a lot more from it that a prescribed gym routine that you aren't going to stick to for longer than a couple of weeks.

2. Eat/drink better - Do not consume any soft drinks, fruit juices, smoothies, alcohol, milk/cream/sugar in hot drinks, etc besides the odd "treat" (ie; 1-2x a week, not every day). Avoid processed foods (ie; ready meals, takeaways, biscuits, cakes, chocolate, puddings, etc). Eat as much non starch vegetables as you like. Drink as much green tea, water and black coffee as you like. Try to get a fist sized portion of lean protein into every meal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
Walking 3 miles a day (maybe even less than that) and playing football once a week is nothing.

The NHS' most basic recommendations are to perform 10,000 steps per day (minimum) which equates to 3-5 miles a day, and to stress it again, that is the minimum.

If I did that I'd be dead:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
If I did that I'd be dead:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

4% of your day is all it takes.
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21
4% of your day is all it takes.

Yeah it's not time thats an issue. Plus 3 or 4 miles takes more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Yeah it's not time thats an issue. Plus 3 or 4 miles takes more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm fat and i can walk about a mile every 15 minutes so you can walk that in an hour.
Reply 13
Original post by Rakas21
I'm fat and i can walk about a mile every 15 minutes so you can walk that in an hour.

I can't walk that far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I can't walk that far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh. How come?
Reply 15

Thanks.
C

3 stone sounds a bit much

But if you wanna lose weight, cut your calories to 1500. Lift 3 times a week and do cardio 2 times a week (one of that being your football)

Worked for me.
Original post by Andy98
I can't walk that far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't have to be in one go. You would be surprised how quickly you earn steps just going about your day to day activities. I'm often at around 8000 just from being at work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by myblueheaven339
Doesn't have to be in one go. You would be surprised how quickly you earn steps just going about your day to day activities. I'm often at around 8000 just from being at work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean I physically can't walk much more than 200m because otherwise my disability takes over and it ends badly.
Original post by Andy98
I mean I physically can't walk much more than 200m because otherwise my disability takes over and it ends badly.

I see. I had misunderstood your previous posts. Apologies.
Reply 19
Original post by myblueheaven339
I see. I had misunderstood your previous posts. Apologies.

No problem, it isn't even one of the obvious disabilities, just it gets obvious

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest