The Student Room Group

Warwick GEP (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Victoria Sponge
This is realllly late, sorry, but the third(?) experience dates were in the format MM/DD/YYYY for some reason, as opposed to DD/MM/YYYY for 1, 2, 4 and 5 :s-smilie:

This is so beautifully typical of Warwick admin.
Original post by Victoria Sponge
This is realllly late, sorry, but the third(?) experience dates were in the format MM/DD/YYYY for some reason, as opposed to DD/MM/YYYY for 1, 2, 4 and 5 :s-smilie:

Oh no I didn't realise! Thanks for letting me know. I might email them as otherwise it will make it look as though I'm claiming a much longer experience than I have :s-smilie:
One of my work exp. places didn't get back to me until today with how many hours I had done. To play it safe I thought I would put less hours on the warwick form than I had actually done. Turns out I put far less hours than I had actually done although it does meet the 70 hour mark. Is it worth just sending warwick a quick email? If I'm one of those "chosen at random" to supply evidence then it definitely won't match up.
Original post by santi_92
One of my work exp. places didn't get back to me until today with how many hours I had done. To play it safe I thought I would put less hours on the warwick form than I had actually done. Turns out I put far less hours than I had actually done although it does meet the 70 hour mark. Is it worth just sending warwick a quick email? If I'm one of those "chosen at random" to supply evidence then it definitely won't match up.

I don't imagine it is going to reflect badly on you if you have been conservative in your estimations? I did the same. They've put a 70 hour limit there for a reason, I think we're all worrying far too much - they've explicitly said we are welcome to talk about other experiences in the interview so you're not limiting yourself.

I think the only case in which it would look bad would be if there was some large discrepancy in terms of overestimation on your part, or if, after contacting all your referees, it appears you have done less than 70 hours, I don't think anything else would be an issue.

Of course if it is particularly stressing you out its worth sending an email to them but I don't think its anything worth losing sleep over.
I was a bit unsure about the work experience forms, so I decided to email Warwick...

"You will need to get proof from each of your placements which you can bring with you to the Selection Centre."

I was hoping they'd email us and only a selection would have to bring proof. Best get started!
Reply 425
Original post by Going_To_California
I was a bit unsure about the work experience forms, so I decided to email Warwick...

"You will need to get proof from each of your placements which you can bring with you to the Selection Centre."

I was hoping they'd email us and only a selection would have to bring proof. Best get started!

Really? Oh shucks. Like you, I thought it was a random selection that would be asked to provide this info...
Original post by Going_To_California

This sounds to me like they still may only ask a few ("which you can bring" rather than should bring). Either way though it's unclear, best to get proof either way probably, we don't know how late they'll notify people if they do a random selection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 427
I just had my "Invitation to Selection Centre" withdrawn because I didn't send in my work experience survey :frown:

My own fault obviously - was too wrapped up in frantically trying to book a selection centre slot

Rejected for admin reasons - I feel a bit sick to be honest
Reply 428
Original post by djbe
I just had my "Invitation to Selection Centre" withdrawn because I didn't send in my work experience survey :frown:

My own fault obviously - was too wrapped up in frantically trying to book a selection centre slot

Rejected for admin reasons - I feel a bit sick to be honest

Oh I'm so sorry, that's awful :frown:. Do you have interviews anywhere else?
Reply 429
Only Newcastle next week

However - If anyone has a copy of the Survey (or at least what info you had to put in) maybe I could send it to them manually before their meeting on January 19th

Not sure what difference that would make but I can at least try :smile:
Reply 430
Any current WMS students following this thread?

I know in previous years there were one or two - I'm just curious about this year's application process - I know they're changing things around, but things just seem not quite right (although obviously I'm a bit biased).

First, the fact that there weren't enough selection centre places for the applicants they offered interviews to and then (Just me I guess) actually cancelling / withdawing an interview place (which is 2 months away) because I didn't submit a work experience questionnaire on time. Couldn't they have sent a reminder?

I'm sure they have their reasons but it all feels a bit arbitrary. I hope this doesn't come across as angry or bitter - I'm not. I just feel a bit numb and don't really know what to do.
Original post by djbe

I know in previous years there were one or two - I'm just curious about this year's application process - I know they're changing things around, but things just seem not quite right (although obviously I'm a bit biased).

First, the fact that there weren't enough selection centre places for the applicants they offered interviews to and then (Just me I guess) actually cancelling / withdawing an interview place (which is 2 months away) because I didn't submit a work experience questionnaire on time. Couldn't they have sent a reminder?

I'm sure they have their reasons but it all feels a bit arbitrary. I hope this doesn't come across as angry or bitter - I'm not. I just feel a bit numb and don't really know what to do.

I'm not a current student but have you contacted the office and spoken to them about it? Maybe if you state your situation and have a good reason they will understand, and if not you haven't lost anything by trying

If not then unfortunately you have to look at it from their side - you are just one of many to them and their job is to cut that number down - by not doing something that was integral to the process you are simply making their jobs easier, and the office was closed over Christmas (I hope this doesn't sound harsh, its just I can also see it from their side if you get me)

Really sorry to hear about your situation, do you have interviews elsewhere?
Reply 432
Has anyone on the 'find out in mid-January' list heard anything yet?
I wonder if they will wait until Southampton/Kings give out their offers, to see if anyone withdraws their interview following this?
The waiting is driving me mad!
Reply 433
I'm still waiting too :frown: I've not heard anything at all from one of my other choices either.. I jump on my phone every time an email comes through and if I don't have it on me I start to get withdrawal symptoms haha
Original post by djbe

I'm a WMS student.

That does sound a bit harsh, but I'm not sure about the entire process this year. Sending in proof of work experience and associated dates was never anything I ever had to deal with nor anyone I know.

I don't know the details of your particular case or even what's required of your cohort, but it's worth giving them a ring and basically begging to be given another chance; it's not like you have anything to lose. How long of a period did you have to fill in the form? You might not get a lot of sympathy however, and I have to say that they're quite strict with students about submitting things by deadlines so this type of behaviour seems quite consistent and something that others would be well advised to get used to.
Reply 435
Original post by ranelagh75
I'm a WMS student.

That does sound a bit harsh, but I'm not sure about the entire process this year. Sending in proof of work experience and associated dates was never anything I ever had to deal with nor anyone I know.

I don't know the details of your particular case or even what's required of your cohort, but it's worth giving them a ring and basically begging to be given another chance; it's not like you have anything to lose. How long of a period did you have to fill in the form? You might not get a lot of sympathy however, and I have to say that they're quite strict with students about submitting things by deadlines so this type of behaviour seems quite consistent and something that others would be well advised to get used to.

Thanks for your reply. I replied straight back to the "interview withdrawn" email and received a response to that the next day. After phoning up I was told my email (and it sounded like there were a few others as well) would be given to the admissions tutors to consider.

There was (I was told last week) a meeting due to be held yesterday (Monday 19th) So now I'm just waiting to see if there's a decision in my favour...
Oh that's good. Best of luck. It must be really stressful. What a strange an arbitrary thing to reject your candidacy on.

If there's anything I can possibly do to help, let me know.
I'm withdrawing, I hope someone else gets my place at the selection centre - and gets in and becomes a good doctor. :smile:
Reply 438
Original post by yurilein93
I'm withdrawing, I hope someone else gets my place at the selection centre - and gets in and becomes a good doctor. :smile:

How come?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 439
Original post by yurilein93

Thank you for letting us know. I'm on the waiting list and it gives me a tiny bit of hope that there may still be a chance for me this year.
All the best for the future!

Quick Reply