The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

definitely money, no second thought required
In what alternate reality is it likely to get a 250k salary after a couple of years? Kids on TSR are too deluded...

Plus tax and NI means you wouldn't be taking home 250k anyway.
Reply 162
Money obviously, you could buy a frickin house for that. Having a degree doesn't magically mean I am smarter if I haven't earned it, so what is the point? Respect I don't deserve and access to jobs I am not qualified for?
Original post by Adipoptosis
Which would you take and why?

The degree without any associated costs.

My take on it:

ANYONE can get £250k. There are spoilt, useless people who inherit that money and more.

To get that degree either you're really smart or ridiculously well-connected to the point where you're talking about a few individuals on the planet (buy the degree and the class).

So I don't think about it in terms what the money or degree could get me, but what it represents.

Take the money and start a business :h:
Original post by Onde
The OP says anyone can get £250K whereas the degree takes brains thus the degree is more prized...and yet the scenario is offering a situation precisely where no brains are needed! An Oxbridge 1st IS worth more than £250k, but really over a long period of time. Having £250k NOW and investing semi-wisely would be more valuable, especially if you keep getting sacked from jobs when your employer finds you don't quite match your credentials.

Guy went to oxbridge and had a first class so is just bragging about it. While I'm at it he's been sending me abusive PMs and called me an idiot.

Original post by Nomes89
In what alternate reality is it likely to get a 250k salary after a couple of years? Kids on TSR are too deluded...

Plus tax and NI means you wouldn't be taking home 250k anyway.

This
Original post by jam277
Guy went to oxbridge and had a first class so is just bragging about it. While I'm at it he's been sending me abusive PMs and called me an idiot.
Ah I see. I wonder if he has anything to show for it other than a piece of card? Millions of people have been to Oxford and Cambridge and Clapham Junction etc. and can say the same.
Original post by Onde
Ah I see. I wonder if he has anything to show for it other than a piece of card? Millions of people have been to Oxford and Cambridge and Clapham Junction etc. and can say the same.

Yes, and many more cannot say this because they're not capable of even going to Oxbridge, let alone getting a first!
I highly doubt the 1st Class Oxbridge degree would do me any good if I hadn't actually worked for it and learned the subject it claimed I was an expert on. Employers would hire me based on the degree, then just as quickly fire me when they worked out I didn't know half of what I claimed to.
Reply 168
Original post by jam277

This

He seriously called you an Idiot:eek:

What a fool, did it ever occur to him that you can buy 3/4 houses outright with that money! No mortgage no headache/burden :tongue:
The oxbridge degree would be great, and im guessing that the degree also means that we actually had to learn and work for it, it would also help you to network with people.
however, if it is just a piece of paper saying u hve a first frm oxbridge and u arent qualified go for the money :biggrin:
Original post by ubi1
He seriously called you an Idiot:eek:

What a fool, did it ever occur to him that you can buy 3/4 houses outright with that money! No mortgage no headache/burden :tongue:

3-4 houses?! For 250k? Not in any area worth having a house I wouldn't have thought...or the dreaded north :colone:
Reply 171
Original post by infairverona
3-4 houses?! For 250k? Not in any area worth having a house I wouldn't have thought...or the dreaded north :colone:

3 houses at the price of £83.3K Each well you can get a nice house for £250K a very nice house 6Bedroom plus, maybe in a area like london you can get a nice one but may have to renovate it though:redface:
250k without a shadow of a doubt, and use that to help my current business grow.

That's like Alan Sugar asking you, here's 250k - invest it in your business or whatever you want.. or here's a degree with Oxbridge, use it to get a good job.
Original post by SiminaM
I can't believe so many choose a posh degree at a prestigious uni. Like, you can't even be superficial? What is wrong with you?

I chose the degree, because I thought it meant studying at Oxford not just having a fake degree. I'd take the money now.
£250k. I'd buy a house near a university and then convert it so it has 4 bedrooms. I'd then rent out each room making about £1.5-2k per month. That will be more than what a lot of graduates earn. Once I had saved enough, easy with no mortgage, I'd do the same and then continue to rinse and repeat it.
Personally, tbh I don't really care that much about degrees, so I'd rather take the money.
:rolleyes: Naivety...
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Yup. He wanted to work at CERN but they declined him and he couldn't find any other job

Probably due to lack of experience I'm guessing.
Original post by Onde
The OP says anyone can get £250K whereas the degree takes brains thus the degree is more prized...and yet the scenario is offering a situation precisely where no brains are needed! An Oxbridge 1st IS worth more than £250k, but really over a long period of time. Having £250k NOW and investing semi-wisely would be more valuable, especially if you keep getting sacked from jobs when your employer finds you don't quite match your credentials.

No, it is not. A piece of paper saying you know X, whether validated by a university or a government will be worth nothing when your (absent) knowledge is tested on a work situation.
Money. Because I'll have that degree within 4 years anyway :awesome:

Latest