The Student Room Group

Does PMS actually exist, or is it a patriarchal myth?

You might have come across it many times on TSR: an OP asks why his GF, wife, fiancée or partner is acting irrationally and strangely. At least one person is going to say "She's on her period dude, it's PMS". But does it really exist? Do women act out-of-the-norm when on their periods, or is it sexist to claim so?

The way I see it, is that it's very possible. My GF acts very weirdly when on her period and even she, a woman, says things like "I'm on my period" as a reply to "What's wrong?".

So what does TSR think?

Please let me know your "signs" ... What are the obvious signs a woman is on her period?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
You might have come across it many times on TSR: an OP asks why his GF, wife, fiancée or partner is acting irrationally and strangely. At least one person is going to say "She's on her period dude, it's PMS". But does it really exist? Do women act out-of-the-norm when on their periods, or is it sexist to claim so?

The way I see it, is that it's very possible. My GF acts very weirdly when on her period and even she, a woman, says things like "I'm on my period" as a reply to "What's wrong?".

So what does TSR think?

Please let me know your "signs" ... What are the obvious signs a woman is on her period?

There's some science behind this. Because when a woman is coming on their period, their body starts releasing hormones on the double. One of these hormones are progesterone. This hormone is released to prepare the uterus for when it's lining sheds.

This hormone, mixed with all the others, causes some females to be more sensitive to stress, and other emotions.

There's an article all about this :smile:

http://brainblogger.com/2008/03/29/the-science-of-premenstrual-syndrome/
Reply 2
Original post by TimbukChu
There's some science behind this. Because when a woman is coming on their period, their body starts releasing hormones on the double. One of these hormones are progesterone. This hormone is released to prepare the uterus for when it's lining sheds.

This hormone, mixed with all the others, causes some females to be more sensitive to stress, and other emotions.

There's an article all about this :smile:

http://brainblogger.com/2008/03/29/the-science-of-premenstrual-syndrome/

Great blog right there ... I think there's a huge double standard here too.

Us men suffer from high levels of testosterone too, and hence an increase in irritability and anger ... yet women are fine with complaining about it, etc ... however when we bring up the PMS card, they get all annoyed etc ..
Reply 3
Great blog right there ... I think there's a huge double standard here too.

Us men suffer from high levels of testosterone too, and hence an increase in irritability and anger ... yet women are fine with complaining about it, etc ... however when we bring up the PMS card, they get all annoyed etc ..

You're right, some (Not all) women are just as sexist as men, especially the feminist extremists, who say they want equality, yet constantly refer to men as inferior. Obviously, not all women are like this, but there are some.

It's like that whole "Man flu" debate, where some women say "It's not that bad". But there is a whole lot of science to back up that men are affected more by some strains of the flu.
Reply 4
You're right, some (Not all) women are just as sexist as men, especially the feminist extremists, who say they want equality, yet constantly refer to men as inferior. Obviously, not all women are like this, but there are some.

It's like that whole "Man flu" debate, where some women say "It's not that bad". But there is a whole lot of science to back up that men are affected more by some strains of the flu.

Mornings are horrible for me, for example, and many men will be able to related with me. You know morning wood right? This happens because of bloodflow mainly, but hormones are a major thing too!

Of course not all women think this way - sure extreme feminists.

I wish something could be done about them, they give Feminism such a bad name.
Also there's different degrees of it. Some women are not affected by it at all, some are only very slightly affected, then you get some who are more severely affected by it. Also the effects themselves differ. Not all women who are affected by it get moody or angry. Some just get more sensitive and maybe weepy. Some are affected physically (outside of usual expected cramps), with nausea, vomiting, headaches and cravings being quite common on top of the PMS, which can exacerbate it.

I suspect another contributing factor is blood loss, especially for heavy bleeders as it can lead to anaemia if not properly supplemented with nutrients which can make you feel pretty crappy and moody amongst other symptoms.

My usual symptoms include general fatigue and feeling a bit emotionally sensitive (which I only really notice if I'm already unhappy about something). The physical effects are far stronger than the emotional effects. I don't tell people when I'm on my period and act completely normal, because the effects are weak, under control and don't need to be expressed.

I could understand some women wanting to warn someone they work/hang out with if they get bad enough periods. I've had a couple of bad ones in my high school years and was floored, it was like being proper ill and in agonizing pain, and you really do need some emotional as well as physical support. I don't think I could maintain composure in that state every month.
Reply 6
Morning wood is the worst :dry:
Reply 7
Morning wood is the worst :dry:

My GF likes it :biggrin:

I hate it too ... ****ing trying to pee with it is a nightmare.
Mornings are horrible for me, for example, and many men will be able to related with me. You know morning wood right? This happens because of bloodflow mainly, but hormones are a major thing too!

Of course not all women think this way - sure extreme feminists.

I wish something could be done about them, they give Feminism such a bad name.

How is 'morning wood' the same as altered emotional states due to hormone fluctuations?

And regarding your earlier post about high levels of testosterone, when do testosterone levels change substantially?
Reply 9
Original post by Twinpeaks
How is 'morning wood' the same as altered emotional states due to hormone fluctuations?

And regarding your earlier post about high levels of testosterone, when do testosterone levels change substantially?

As stated previously, during morning wood male hormones fluctuate.

Males have issues with emotional states changing because of hormones too you know.
Women: "I feel stressed out and in pain because there's blood coming out of my body."

Men: "Damn this boner!"

Not equivalent.
Women: "I feel stressed out and in pain because there's blood coming out of my body."

Men: "Damn this boner!"

Not equivalent.

You obviously have no clue :smile:
You obviously have no clue :smile:

Nor do you. Unless you've experienced being both genders. Is that what you're trying to tell us?
I believe some women have it but I also believe that despite your hormones, emotions like anger and stress can be controlled and you have no right to push it onto other people.
It's very noticeable to be honest. Others have mentioned the relevant science so just wanted to throw it in there that often even with people you dont know are on their period you can tell, then pretend to look surprised when their friend quietly says 'sorry she's on her period'
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
It's very noticeable to be honest. Others have mentioned the relevant science so just wanted to throw it in there that often even with people you dont know are on their period you can tell, then pretend to look surprised when their friend quietly says 'sorry she's on her period'

I can tell girls are on their period because of the smell, which is quite morbid I know ... I don't know if it's bad hygiene, but it's quite noticeable nonetheless. Blood has a very iron smell.

So what does TSR think?

Your hormones go wild during 'that time of the month' so emotions change a bit.

It's different for every female though. Personally I turn into a blubbery mess, and am more easily upset by things. I'd take that any day over the mood swings some girls get. Some become very aggressive, and even violent.

Women in America have got off with murder for being on their periods at the time, which personally I think is wrong - the change in mood isn't that extreme.

As for obvious signs:

- anger and aggression
- easily upset or crying a lot
- being clumsy
- feeling hotter than usual

I have never found I get angry but some girls do.
(edited 9 years ago)
PMS is basically 3 days where you have pretty much zero control over your emotions and seeing things like a baby elephant in a paddling pool make you want to cry. I totally lose my **** when I'm on my period.

So yeah, signs: she cries at videos of baby elephants.
Reply 18
When in a houseshare, one weekend the couple next door were rowing all weekend with her screaming and shouting as if he was bonking her sister in front of her.

When the landlord came in on Sunday night I mentioned it but he said nothing, he just pointed at the wall calendar. Every 28 days, two days were circled in red.

For the 8 months or so I was there, she was as regular as clockwork: ceaseless screaming and shouting every 4th weekend.

My wife says she hates it in the bad months when the red mist comes down, that she knows she is being unreasonable but has no way to control the emotion. I just keep my gob shut and keep washing up.
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
I believe some women have it but I also believe that despite your hormones, emotions like anger and stress can be controlled and you have no right to push it onto other people.

You obviously do t get it bad. I literally have no control at all at times, especially on the first day. Its really frustrating because you're crying but you have no idea why you are crying... Like awh a cute dog *breakdown* It is basically a three day depression for me. Or you get angry at like a sheet of paper or something. Its horrible. Once I got into a rage at my glasses because they were dirty and threw them across the room and broke them for no reason whatsoever, then spent about two hours crying about it... The only thing I can do is remove myself from people wherever possible :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending