The Student Room Group

Page 3 topless models

After 44 years of page 3 topless models, The Sun have announced that they are being scrapped from the newspaper. Rupert Murdoch supposedly hinted that this was going to happen and later went on to describe the page 3 part of the paper "old-fashioned". Here you can read the full story..

So what do you think? Was this a good decision/ not a good decision? Is page 3 really not an issue to the crowd of today?

I'd love to hear what you think :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the mammaries
Reply 2
Great decision! What a firm and objective action in a week where freedom of press is at the forefront! What a brave and courageous move for the Sun to buckle to an incredibly loud and incredibly annoying minority, and remove a staple of its newspaper! I am so happy that, in a week where the world is in shock after a radical group tried to impose their own moral laws upon the press and force them to remove images from their publications, the Sun respond by taking a stance, and removing images from their publication after a radical group try to impose their own moral laws upon the press.
Original post by Arkasia
Great decision! What a firm and objective action in a week where freedom of press is at the forefront! What a brave and courageous move for the Sun to buckle to an incredibly loud and incredibly annoying minority, and remove a staple of its newspaper! I am so happy that, in a week where the world is in shock after a radical group tried to impose their own moral laws upon the press and force them to remove images from their publications, the Sun respond by taking a stance, and removing images from their publication after a radical group try to impose their own moral laws upon the press.

Ridiculous comparison. The Sun have a right to print those pictures, but campaign groups also have the right to object to them and pressure them into getting rid of them. No More Page 3 never sought to ban The Sun from printing those images - they campaigned tirelessly and they have been successful in their aim of making The Sun chose to remove them. Companies bow down to outside pressure all the time because their image is important to the success of their business. It's not anti-free speech to draw attention to aspects of a companies behaviour that you don't like.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Gutted!!
Reply 5
Original post by ArtGoblin
Ridiculous comparison. The Sun have a right to print those pictures, but campaign groups also have the right to object to them and pressure them into getting rid of them. No More Page 3 never sought to ban The Sun from printing those images - they campaigned tirelessly and they have been successful in their aims. Companies bow down to outside pressure all the time because their image is important to the success of their business. It's not anti-free speech to draw attention to aspects of a companies behaviour that you don't like.

It is a loud but small minority group who campaigned in forcing a company to accept their views on what it is 'acceptable' to publish, and to reflect it by removing page 3. The fact their campaign was successful does not validate not authenticate their aims, it just means a large company bowed to lobbying and those who shouted the loudest.
So happy :smile: will no longer have to sit next to people in the bus or tube leering over tits.

Sucks feeling objectified every day.
Great decision, however I was concerned when I read that it could be reinstated if sales fall dramatically. :doh:
Original post by Arkasia
It is a loud but small minority group who campaigned in forcing a company to accept their views on what it is 'acceptable' to publish, and to reflect it by removing page 3. The fact their campaign was successful does not validate not authenticate their aims, it just means a large company bowed to lobbying and those who shouted the loudest.

And what would have happened if The Sun hadn't made the decision to remove page 3? Would any of their staff have been killed? Would their business have been severely damaged? Would they have faced legal action? Nope, they made this decision because they thought it would make their business look good. The Sun have much more power than No More Page 3 and everyone else who was involved in the campaign - they were not silenced. The Sun were completely free to make a decision about their business. I would suggest that it is you who is anti-free speech if you think that people shouldn't be able to organise to criticise organisations.
Reply 9
And what would have happened if The Sun hadn't made the decision to remove page 3? Would any of their staff have been killed? Would their business have been severely damaged? Would they have faced legal action? Nope, they made this decision because they thought it would make their business look good. The Sun have much more power than No More Page 3 and everyone else who was involved in the campaign - they were not silenced. The Sun were completely free to make a decision about their business. I would suggest that it is you who is anti-free speech if you think that people shouldn't be able to organise to criticise organisations.

You don't seem to understand the concept of a comparison. I am stating the situations are alike, with the parameters being stated (a minority group attempting to impose their views on a publication). I am not stating that No More Page 3 went into the offices of News UK and shot 12 people, nor am I stating that this group are actively murdering anyone who shows topless images. Further, I believe people should be free to criticize organisations (for example, CH should have been free to criticize the organisation that is Islam without fear of being murdered). I don't, however, believe that the minority should get to dictate what is and isn't acceptable, and most polls I have seen (both on here and in wider circles) suggest that the majority of the country do not think Page 3 should have been banned.
This is great news, many congratulations to all the very many people who have campaigned against it for years, including many men.

It's a little depressing to note that News International say they will review it if sales suffer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30891939

However, at least we now know beyond doubt that the policy behind it is entirely cynical and one of money-making, which they have sometimes denied in the past.

Attention now needs to go more onto newspapers like the Daily Mail which routinely objectify women, feature papps of very young girls and focus on their sexual features, whilst at the same time condemning paedophilia. We should also ban lads mags from prominent supermarket shelves and so on.
I know the male victimisation squad won't be happy, but maybe they are simply responding to economic demand. It might be the case that the white van man stereotype Sun reader is no longer excited by a pair of bare titties with his morning Greggs. he wants his breasts covered with a bra.
Original post by Arkasia
You don't seem to understand the concept of a comparison. I am stating the situations are alike, with the parameters being stated (a minority group attempting to impose their views on a publication). I am not stating that No More Page 3 went into the offices of News UK and shot 12 people, nor am I stating that this group are actively murdering anyone who shows topless images. Further, I believe people should be free to criticize organisations (for example, CH should have been free to criticize the organisation that is Islam without fear of being murdered). I don't, however, believe that the minority should get to dictate what is and isn't acceptable, and most polls I have seen (both on here and in wider circles) suggest that the majority of the country do not think Page 3 should have been banned.

I understand your comparison perfectly, thanks. I am saying that The Sun were in no way forced to make this decision. No More Page 3 have no power to dictate what is acceptable so The Sun must have thought that axing it was in some way beneficial to them. It is fundamental to free speech that we are allowed to criticise others (individuals and organisations) when we disagree with something they have done or said. Doing so is not an infringement of their free speech as they are entitled to accept the criticism or disregard it. I have noticed that the idea of free speech is often used as a way to divert criticism away from something - yes, you are entitled to say offensive things but if you do you have to accept that a lot of people are going to think you're a dick for it.
Original post by Arkasia

It isn't a ban. It's a voluntary decision by a very rich and powerful global corporation to drop part of the way it built that power up (preying on the sexual fantasies of working class men) as it has realised that majority public opinion has shifted against such a blatant piece of sexist exploitation being displayed in a 'family' newspaper day in, day out.

And speaking of minorities, Rupert Murdoch is a minority of one in a planet of 7 billion. Other than money and power, is there a good reason why he should be free to push this stuff like a drug because he wants to make even more money, regardless of the messages it sends to women and young children in the households where it is received?
I would rather they banned everything else except for maybe the spots results instead.
I understand your comparison perfectly, thanks. I am saying that The Sun were in no way forced to make this decision. No More Page 3 have no power to dictate what is acceptable so The Sun must have thought that axing it was in some way beneficial to them.It is fundamental to free speech that we are allowed to criticise others (individuals and organisations) when we disagree with something they have done or said. Doing so is not an infringement of their free speech as they are entitled to accept the criticism or disregard it. I have noticed that the idea of free speech is often used as a way to divert criticism away from something - yes, you are entitled to say offensive things but if you do you have to accept that a lot of people are going to think you're a dick for it.

The Sun were not forced, but NMP3 still campaigned heavily against the majority for only their views to be seen as acceptable. Just because the Sun wasn't forced, does not mean that everything is fine. Like saying emotionally blackmailing someone to have sex is fine because 'they made the decision' (note: again, I said 'like', thus comparing within the aforementioned parameters, so please don't claim I am a rape apologist or claiming NMP3 are blackmailing the Sun into anything etc). Bolded: I said that. As for 'accepting people will think you are a dick', that is utterly different to violent retaliation, so not applicable to the CH situation.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It isn't a ban. It's a voluntary decision by a very rich and powerful global corporation to drop part of the way it built that power up (preying on the sexual fantasies of working class men) as it has realised that majority public opinion has shifted against such a blatant piece of sexist exploitation being displayed in a 'family' newspaper day in, day out.

And speaking of minorities, Rupert Murdoch is a minority of one in a planet of 7 billion. Other than money and power, is there a good reason why he should be free to push this stuff like a drug because he wants to make even more money, regardless of the messages it sends to women and young children in the households where it is received?

Has it? I thought most polls had the majority of people opposing the removal?
Reply 17
It's all good & true about the whole "objectifying women" argument but what you need to realise is that there are a LOT of women that fuel this.

In a sense, someone women are other women's own enemies. It's not like they're being forced to stand butt naked for a picture - and if this was the case then I would have thought there would be an uprise.

This whole disgust etc should be directed as equally to the women that make these industries expand in the first place.
Cant say im bothered tbh.
i do find this countrys attitude to stuff like this childish though.
Just seems like its only ok when it suits fattys who have a homer simpson mid section
It certainly is a sad day.

The feminists may have one this battle, but they won't win the war at least.

Makes you wonder how unfulfilled someone's life must be to actually campaign to stop people looking at a pair of Babylons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending