The Student Room Group

Changing courses.

I'm in my second semester of Architecture (first year) and decided that i want to do business management. I haven't applied for my maintenance grant yet and i live at home so no accommodation costs. If i carry on with this course and change at the end of the year will it waste money, or would it be better to withdraw?(will i save money)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

It's entirely up to you what you would rather do at this point.

As long as this is your first year studying, this will have just used your gift year funding, so you will still have enough funding left to cover your full business management degree.

If you withdraw at this point then you may not have to pay the third installment to the University, which means you would owe less tuition fee loan for this year, but as it is quite late in the year, the Uni may still request this payment (as they won't be able to fill your place on the course at this point), so it might be worth asking the Uni if they will need the full tuition fee for the year if you withdraw.

If they don't request it then you could withdraw now and that will mean your student loan is less for this year than if you continue and finish the year.

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hello,

It's entirely up to you what you would rather do at this point.

As long as this is your first year studying, this will have just used your gift year funding, so you will still have enough funding left to cover your full business management degree.

If you withdraw at this point then you may not have to pay the third installment to the University, which means you would owe less tuition fee loan for this year, but as it is quite late in the year, the Uni may still request this payment (as they won't be able to fill your place on the course at this point), so it might be worth asking the Uni if they will need the full tuition fee for the year if you withdraw.

If they don't request it then you could withdraw now and that will mean your student loan is less for this year than if you continue and finish the year.

Thanks

Thanks for that. Can you explain the 'gift year' to me please? And do you know what department in my uni i will need to speak to about whether i need to pay fukl tuition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

So the gift year is just the one extra year of funding that each student has if they need to change course or repeat a year for any reason. It means that each student has funding for the ordinary duration of their course (usually 3 years) plus this 1 gift year available to them.

This year doing architecture will use your gift year up, but you will still have the funding left for the ordinary duration of a new course, providing you don't need to repeat any years.

I'm not sure who you would speak to, I would start with your student services department and they should be able to direct you.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending