The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Hello onouse, I have my FSAC on the 21st!
Reply 1781
Does anyone know how long it takes from when your checks are complete to finding out which department/location you'll be placed in? Particularly the Finance Stream? Also, is this via email or phone, and by HR or directly by the department? Just waiting on my current employer's reference and very anxious to hear!

Original post by keksainis
From my own experience I think there is one more thing you can prepare for (at least to some extent) apart from the competency interview - quick reading. The interview is the only exercise where you won't need to read and comprehend information quickly. I think trying to read everything (news, a book etc.) at a quick pace one day before the assessment centre would help. I felt I had improved at reading quickly by the end of the day and could feel I was trying to read everything quickly even for the next few days! Time pressure and a huge amount of information is one of the key things you'll face during the day, so this could be something to focus on.

This is probably the single most useful advice I would give to someone. On pretty much all the exercises I was thrown by the sheer amount of data you're expected to assimilate in such a short space of time. I feel like if I had been quicker at skimming for important points my actual recommendation/leadership briefing would have been a lot more effective...
Reply 1783
Original post by ailss
Does anyone know how long it takes from when your checks are complete to finding out which department/location you'll be placed in? Particularly the Finance Stream? Also, is this via email or phone, and by HR or directly by the department? Just waiting on my current employer's reference and very anxious to hear!

Hi Ailss - it depends on the volume of allocations they are dealing with and how quickly the department responds once your file is passed onto them. I just had my allocation (from the statistician's stream) last week.

Parity told me that once all of the pre-appointment paperwork is complete, they contact the organisation handling your allocation (for me this was the ONS). Nothing will happen before the checks are satisfactorily completed. The person handling your allocation then looks at the available postings, against your preferred department/location and once they have selected a posting they will contact that department with your file. Once a department accepts your file, you will be contacted by the allocations officer to inform you of where you are going.

Once my checks were complete it took from the week before Christmas until last week to hear which department I had been allocated to and which location I would be in (I imagine the Christmas break slowed things down a bit). I found out in an email. The email wasn't very detailed, it didn't have any info on a start date or salary. It just told me that I would be contacted directly by the department to arrange a meeting in advance of them issuing a formal offer of employment. I think the pre-offer meeting is common throughout the Fast Stream and is just a chance to discuss the role on offer, start date and any particulars.

Hope this helps - I know the feeling of waiting for news - but it shouldn't take too long. The best way to speed things along is to gently prod your employers to send in their reference ASAP (it is done by email, so Parity will process it pretty much as soon as it comes in).
Reply 1784
Refresh... Refresh... Refresh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PJ07
Refresh... Refresh... Refresh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! And I only had mine yesterday :frown:
How long does it take to change to 'Awaiting Results'?

Good luck for your result x
Reply 1786
Original post by franca2830
Hello onouse, I have my FSAC on the 21st!

Great! See you tomorrow then!
Hello, I had my FSAC on the 17th Dec and am still " awaiting results" on my application page. I applied for GORS with the analytical stream so I've already passed my ORAC; this is the final stage for me. Does anyone know when I'm likely to find out? Everyone else seems to have heard within a week or two, mine's been over a month now and still no answer. Anyone in the same boat as me? Should I email to see if the messages are broken on my application page or something?
Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1788
Original post by worriedFSAC
Hello, I had my FSAC on the 17th Dec and am still " awaiting results" on my application page. I applied for GORS with the analytical stream so I've already passed my ORAC; this is the final stage for me. Does anyone know when I'm likely to find out? Everyone else seems to have heard within a week or two, mine's been over a month now and still no answer. Anyone in the same boat as me? Should I email to see if the messages are broken on my application page or something?
Thanks

I've contacted Parity a couple of times via the messages section of the application site. They reply really fast and are really helpful. I wouldn't worry too much though - it is the busiest time for the Fast Stream staff right now and I doubt you've been forgotten. Also the home pages gives this message: "...If you are still at a status of "Awaiting Results” for more than a week after attending FSAC, you possibly may not get your result until pass marks are reviewed in January". It is likely that they are still setting the pass marks for your service line. Hope you hear soon!
Hi guys

Just wondered if there is anyone who has been contacted by a department about an assignment without their current employment references having been received?

I'm in the position where all my other pre appointment checks are completed however I want to avoid requesting a reference from my current employer right now as they'd then know I'd been offered another job and I would really then need to give notice - but I don't have a firm offer of employment or start date or anything yet.

I asked parity whether my appointment would still progress without this reference and they said I should still hear from a department. However everything else I've read implies thus is not the case, so I'm a bit confused!
Thanks

I'm applying for stats, but emailed Parity last week and they said the final pass marks for analytical streams will be set "towards the end of January". So hopefully we should know by the end of next week. I've been waiting nearly two months now!
Original post by d41k57
I've contacted Parity a couple of times via the messages section of the application site. They reply really fast and are really helpful. I wouldn't worry too much though - it is the busiest time for the Fast Stream staff right now and I doubt you've been forgotten. Also the home pages gives this message: "...If you are still at a status of "Awaiting Results” for more than a week after attending FSAC, you possibly may not get your result until pass marks are reviewed in January". It is likely that they are still setting the pass marks for your service line. Hope you hear soon!

Thanks for your kind words! Patience is a virtue but I'm sure you can I understand it's quite frustrating! Thanks, I will wait.
Original post by nineteeneightynine
I'm applying for stats, but emailed Parity last week and they said the final pass marks for analytical streams will be set "towards the end of January". So hopefully we should know by the end of next week. I've been waiting nearly two months now!

Good to know I'm not alone, thanks for the reply. It's a relief to know it's just a waiting game - I'll admit I was worried I'd missed a message and lost my chance or something.

Do you know if this wait is a good or bad thing? Does it mean we are right on the pass line? Or can we just not tell?
Reply 1793
Original post by d41k57
Hi Ailss - it depends on the volume of allocations they are dealing with and how quickly the department responds once your file is passed onto them. I just had my allocation (from the statistician's stream) last week.

Parity told me that once all of the pre-appointment paperwork is complete, they contact the organisation handling your allocation (for me this was the ONS). Nothing will happen before the checks are satisfactorily completed. The person handling your allocation then looks at the available postings, against your preferred department/location and once they have selected a posting they will contact that department with your file. Once a department accepts your file, you will be contacted by the allocations officer to inform you of where you are going.

Once my checks were complete it took from the week before Christmas until last week to hear which department I had been allocated to and which location I would be in (I imagine the Christmas break slowed things down a bit). I found out in an email. The email wasn't very detailed, it didn't have any info on a start date or salary. It just told me that I would be contacted directly by the department to arrange a meeting in advance of them issuing a formal offer of employment. I think the pre-offer meeting is common throughout the Fast Stream and is just a chance to discuss the role on offer, start date and any particulars.

Hope this helps - I know the feeling of waiting for news - but it shouldn't take too long. The best way to speed things along is to gently prod your employers to send in their reference ASAP (it is done by email, so Parity will process it pretty much as soon as it comes in).

Thanks so much. I can't wait to find out! It will either be the one location in Scotland or a big move for me!
Good to know I'm not alone, thanks for the reply. It's a relief to know it's just a waiting game - I'll admit I was worried I'd missed a message and lost my chance or something.

Do you know if this wait is a good or bad thing? Does it mean we are right on the pass line? Or can we just not tell?

I've been keeping telling myself that it is a good thing - we haven't failed yet! Someone posted previously about how we might be 0.1 points under the current threshold or 0.1 above the final threshold, and it's impossible to tell how close we are. I hope it's good news for you when we find out!
Original post by nineteeneightynine
I've been keeping telling myself that it is a good thing - we haven't failed yet! Someone posted previously about how we might be 0.1 points under the current threshold or 0.1 above the final threshold, and it's impossible to tell how close we are. I hope it's good news for you when we find out!

Excellent sensible positive thinking mind set, I'll try to adopt the same.
Hope it's good news for you too - happy waiting.
Original post by frerejacques
Hi guys

Just wondered if there is anyone who has been contacted by a department about an assignment without their current employment references having been received?

I'm in the position where all my other pre appointment checks are completed however I want to avoid requesting a reference from my current employer right now as they'd then know I'd been offered another job and I would really then need to give notice - but I don't have a firm offer of employment or start date or anything yet.

I asked parity whether my appointment would still progress without this reference and they said I should still hear from a department. However everything else I've read implies thus is not the case, so I'm a bit confused!

I can confirm I have been contacted by a department about my assignment and I requested that my current employer not be contacted yet. All I have had is an email to confirm my department (Welsh Assembly- Social Research stream), with no formal offer or details. It says to expect contact within the next 4 weeks by the department to discuss specific role and offer. So, don't worry!
Reply 1797
Original post by meganfleur
Me too! And I only had mine yesterday :frown:
How long does it take to change to 'Awaiting Results'?

Good luck for your result x

What are you applying to? I did mine on the 13th and it only changed to `Awaiting Results' yesterday. Today will be one week since the FSAC so I guess if it's not updated today then I'm on the amber band. :frown:

Best of luck to you!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frerejacques
I want to avoid requesting a reference from my current employer right now as they'd then know I'd been offered another job and I would really then need to give notice - but I don't have a firm offer of employment or start date or anything yet.

I can understand why you might want to avoid that for personal reasons but you're under no obligation to give notice just because you ask for a reference. I was an in-service candidate so my managers were aware of the process all the way through and that I would be giving formal notice as early as I could.
Reply 1799
Hi All,

Congratulations to those who have passed the FSAC so far, and to those who weren't successful this time make sure you work hard this year and try again! It's definitely worth it.

So as some of you may know, a group of Fast Streamers, myself among them, have published a kindle book on how to pass the FSAC and FSBs. It was written by aggregating experience across a range of current and old fast streamers about how to approach the tasks at FSAC. All proceeds we receive from Amazon go directly to a UK based literacy charity.

We have sold almost 200 books so far with some great reviews! Have a look at the link and give it a go!

Here's the link: amzn.to
/1znVvTe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending