The Student Room Group

No more breasts :'(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by macromicro
The content of the magazines is run by the editors. And do you think it's any different for men's magazines? Have you ever read Men's Health or GQ or looked at the covers? Everything you have said applies to men, yet your only concern is women when apparently you believe in gender equality. Moreover, you groundlessly blame everything in women's magazines on men - that is the definition of misandrist.

There is no such thing as looking good for yourself. Your self-worth in terms of physical appearance is absolutely defined by other people's opinion of your appearance. Every item of clothing you choose, every time you put on make-up, every time you go to the hair salon, you are trying to look good to impress others which in turn makes you feel good. Our confidence in how we look can only ever be attained within a community of people who acknowledge how we look. If you were the only person to have ever lived on Earth you would not ever wear make-up or care about your hair or what clothes you wear - "looking good" would have no inherent meaning, you wouldn't understand what that concept is.

I'll look good for myself if I want to, thank you very much. It's not my fault that you don't understand the concept of someone being pleased with their own reflection in the mirror regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I'll say it again - I'm not a misandrist. Men aren't systematically oppressed anyway, whereas women are. Feminism is about gender equality, not the superiority of any gender. If I hated men, I wouldn't be upset with the fact that there are very few men's toilets with baby changing facilities. As far as I understand it, "men's magazines" don't pressure their readers to do anything to earn the approval of a woman. I do think it's sad that men and women are both asked to conform to unrealistic standards, but I tend to focus more on women as we are currently in a socially disadvantaged position compared to men. Does that clear things up for you?
The 'men are objectified too argument' is incredibly weak. Men just aren't objectified as much as women. Men in media are portrayed as the ideal. They aren't there to be fantasised about, but to be fantasised as. Huge difference. Watch any action movie or advertisement involving topless men. They are there most times for men to wish they were the muscular and powerful man that Is being portrayed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Feminist logic. Promote freedom by taking it away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Blazar
As far as I understand it, "men's magazines" don't pressure their readers to do anything to earn the approval of a woman. I do think it's sad that men and women are both asked to conform to unrealistic standards, but I tend to focus more on women as we are currently in a socially disadvantaged position compared to men. Does that clear things up for you?

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Page three is going to stop showing topless models :frown:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/19/has-the-sun-axed-page-3-topless-pictures

As someone who can't for the life of them get a girlfriend this is the only way I can possibly see them.

But I hear there is this thing called Google images. Apparently there is a huge supply of boobs on there.

I will report my findings.

Edit: Disclaimer, I feel the need to point out that I have never bought a copy of the Sun. I'm not actually personally upset there is no more page 3. :redface:

You can now find your daily dose of breasts where they belong, on Page 3 of the Daily Mail from tomorrow. :wink:
Original post by Snagprophet
I love how people call it sexist but will continue to show topless male models in all sorts of magazines anyway.

On the third page of a newspaper? Where?

It's not sexist because of the tits, it's sexist because of where it is.

If you want to see bouncy tits on a <23 year old, there are places you can go... on the internet... if you get my drift.
Original post by datpiff
The 'men are objectified too argument' is incredibly weak. Men just aren't objectified as much as women. Men in media are portrayed as the ideal. They aren't there to be fantasised about, but to be fantasised as. Huge difference. Watch any action movie or advertisement involving topless men. They are there most times for men to wish they were the muscular and powerful man that Is being portrayed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Women in the media are portrayed as the ideal. They aren't there to be fantasised about, but to be fantasised as. Huge difference. Watch any rom com or make up advertisement. They are there most times for women to wish the were the pretty and slim woman that is being portrayed.
Original post by datpiff
There's a difference. Men aren't sexualised. Men are idealised and not portrayed as objects the reader wants to own. Sexualisation and being portrayed as an ideal aren't the same. Sure there are exceptions, but often enough men are idealised and females are sexualised. That's why women argue there's little empowering about things like Page 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

perfect, thank you
Reply 68
No you won't because it's logically impossible. The concept itself of "looking good" can only be defined within a society or community of people. On your own there is no such concept. Our concept of looking good is synonymous with attractiveness. What I am confused about is why you are so against this, almost arrogantly, that such thinking is beneath you and you only do it for yourself. It's self-delusion to a quite alarming degree.

Regardless of whether you are a misandrist, your posts in this thread have been baseless and sexist towards men. I really had to laugh at the bit in bold - it just shows your complete lack of understanding and one-sided mentality. Men's Health and GQ has one aim: look good for women and compete with men. The shelves are filled with bodybuilding magazines and men's fashion. You are displaying your very clear bias and lack of support for gender equality by ignoring everything except women's concerns, despite the fact they are no different to men's. Women are not socially disadvantaged; you seem to have got your dates mixed up, this is 2015 not 1915.

It seems there's nothing I can do to draw your attention to the fact that gender inequality is a very real problem. I've already demonstrated that I do care about things other that "women's concerns", or did you not read the part where I said that it's a problem that men's toilets usually don't have baby changing facilities? I said "as far as I understand it" with regards to the men's magazines because I've only seen the front covers of them occasionally, and I'm aware that I don't know as much about them as a regular reader would. If they're unfairly pressuring men, then yes, that is a problem, but it's certainly not women who are advocating it.

It speaks volumes to me that you regard my confidence in my own appearance as arrogance. Does a painting need to be observed by an entire community before it can be judged as aesthetically pleasing? No, and neither does the appearance of a human being. If I'm happy with the way I look, then that's all that matters. I don't care if someone else doesn't like my outfit; I'm not going to let them stop me from dressing the way I like.
It's not a chicken and egg scenario...

Yes it is.
Reply 70
Original post by Snagprophet
I dunno I was thinking about trying to ban topless picture of men.
:eek: Homophobe! Ban him! Ban him!

:rolleyes:
Original post by Jebedee
Feminist logic. Promote freedom by taking it away.

Whose 'freedom' is being taken away exactly? Is it now illegal to sell topless pictures of yourself?
Original post by datpiff
There's a difference. Men aren't sexualised. Men are idealised and not portrayed as objects the reader wants to own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whenever I see an attractive model in a magazine I don't want to own her. Sure I may find her sexually attractive and want to have sex with her. That isn't the same as wanting to own her...
Sad day for all boobie lovers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blazar
Yeah, and who do you think is behind the fact that magazines are targeted that way?

(Hint: it's men.)

How so?
Reply 75
Original post by молодой гений
On the third page of a newspaper? Where?

It's not sexist because of the tits, it's sexist because of where it is.

If you want to see bouncy tits on a <23 year old, there are places you can go... on the internet... if you get my drift.

I don't think the Sun itself has ever wanted to be a news-paper.
Original post by молодой гений
Whose 'freedom' is being taken away exactly? Is it now illegal to sell topless pictures of yourself?

The Sun never to my knowledge had a basement of hot girls shackled to the walls. They go on page 3 because they want to and now because of some loudmouth feminazi ramblers they no longer can.
Reply 77
Original post by BitWindy
Don't be a dolt.

I presume by that you mean don't question the staggering level of hypocrisy in your post.

You have a problem with this if the decision was in any way influenced by feminists, why?

Ultimately the decision was made by the Sun, you are now putting pressure on them to reverse it, how are you any different to the feminists? Shouldn't you really do as you preach and simply shut up and stop buying it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't read The Sun and I have in fact never bought a copy, I find it crass and and vulgar.

However, the campaign against page 3 represents my hatred of much of the modern left, it celebrates failure, it celebrates mediocrity. This isn't about protecting women, it's about unattractive girls and their seething jealousy of beautiful ones. A similar thing is when guys who never get girls, complain that women are sluts, they are not angry that women are sluts, they are angry that women don't want to be sluts for them.

If you want equality, put a man with a muscular body on a different page - something for the women to enjoy
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by yo radical one
If you want equality, put a man with an aesthetic body on a different page - something for the women to enjoy
I think they did, on page 7. Or it may have been The Star that did that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending