The Student Room Group

Differential Equation using Separation of Variable

How would you solve this Differential Equation using separation of variable.

y=1 when x=0

solving

(2/e^x) - 4x = x + (4 dy/dx)

(4 dy/dx) is this one 4y?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mo-Student
How would you solve this Differential Equation using separation of variable.

y=1 when x=0

solving

(2/e^x) - 4x = x + (4 dy/dx)

(4 dy/dx) is this one 4y?

What do you mean by that? Before you can integrate the expression you need to make sure the side with the x terms is multiplied by dx and the side with the y terms (or in this case, the constant 4) multiplied by dy. You don't want dy/dx on one side.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
What do you mean by that? Before you can integrate the expression you need to make sure the side with the x terms is multiplied by dx and the side with the y terms (or in this case, the constant 4) multiplied by dy. You don't want dy/dx on one side.

from the rules I understand that separation variables says x should be on one side of the equal sign and all the y's on the other one but from the question I can really see a y term

hope this attach file work

from the rules I understand that separation variables says x should be on one side of the equal sign and all the y's on the other one but from the question I can really see a y term

hope this attach file work

You don't need a y term to integrate with respect to y, all you need is a constant. For instance, it's perfectly possible to integrate 1 with respect to x - you'll just get x. What you want to do is rearrange the equation so that you have all the x terms on one side and in this case, a constant on the right side. Then you integrate. Does that make sense?
Reply 4
You don't need a y term to integrate with respect to y, all you need is a constant. For instance, it's perfectly possible to integrate 1 with respect to x - you'll just get x. What you want to do is rearrange the equation so that you have all the x terms on one side and in this case, a constant on the right side. Then you integrate. Does that make sense?

4dy/dx is the only constant? but as for the second step straight after the question aren't the -4x and the x as well going to be constants because would be differentiating at this point?
later after this stage I would be starting with integration and as you said place all x's on one side and all the constants on the other side and integrate?
4dy/dx is the only constant? but as for the second step straight after the question aren't the -4x and the x as well going to be constants because would be differentiating at this point?
later after this stage I would be starting with integration and as you said place all x's on one side and all the constants on the other side and integrate?

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking. -4x and x are not constants because they have x terms in them.
Reply 6
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking. -4x and x are not constants because they have x terms in them.

when you differentiate -4x is going to be just 4 and you get rid of x that way? same with x.

As in an example 3x^2 would be 6x because (3)(2) = 6 and x is still there. so 3x^1 is same as 3x when it is differentiated it would be (3)(1) = 3 and x is gone because x is the ^1 which comes down?
when you differentiate -4x is going to be just 4 and you get rid of x that way? same with x.

As in an example 3x^2 would be 6x because (3)(2) = 6 and x is still there. so 3x^1 is same as 3x when it is differentiated it would be (3)(1) = 3 and x is gone because x is the ^1 which comes down?

Why are you differentiating? If you're trying to solve the differential equation you should be integrating...
Reply 8
Why are you differentiating? If you're trying to solve the differential equation you should be integrating...

ok nice one thanks mate just the wording got me confused :smile: they should call it something else like integral equation or something the wording sends you to the wrong direction :/

so to beautify it down i should integrate this?

(2e^-x) -4x= x + 4dy/dx?

integrate straight way?
ok nice one thanks mate just the wording got me confused :smile: they should call it something else like integral equation or something the wording sends you to the wrong direction :/

so to beautify it down i should integrate this?

(2e^-x) -4x= x + 4dy/dx?

integrate straight way?

Yeah I know, it's a bit confusing!

You can't integrate the expression you've given above. Firstly, you've still got x terms on both sides. Secondly, you've still got a dy/dx on one side. One side (with the x terms) needs to have dx, the other dy.
Reply 10
Yeah I know, it's a bit confusing!

You can't integrate the expression you've given above. Firstly, you've still got x terms on both sides. Secondly, you've still got a dy/dx on one side. One side (with the x terms) needs to have dx, the other dy.

This is something I haven't done before still struggling with breaking the dy/dx

this is how my separation for this expression I know it is wrong how should the correct way be?
2e^-x -4x -x = 4 dy/dx
This is something I haven't done before still struggling with breaking the dy/dx

this is how my separation for this expression I know it is wrong how should the correct way be?
2e^-x -4x -x = 4 dy/dx

Firstly, simplify the x terms on the LHS to get 2ex5x=4dydx2e^{-x}-5x=4\frac{dy}{dx}. You then want to multiply both sides by dx, giving you (2ex5x)dx=4dy(2e^{-x}-5x) dx=4 dy and then you can integrate both sides.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Firstly, simplify the x terms on the LHS to get 2ex5x=4dydx2e^{-x}-5x=4\frac{dy}{dx}. You then want to multiply both sides by dx, giving you (2ex5x)dx=4dy(2e^{-x}-5x) dx=4 dy and then you can integrate both sides.

I may be being dumb, but why not leave the dy/dx as it is and just integrate it to get y - there's no actual need to split it up in this example :smile:
Original post by davros
I may be being dumb, but why not leave the dy/dx as it is and just integrate it to get y - there's no actual need to split it up in this example :smile:

:confused::confused::confused:

How would you integrate without a dx
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by TenOfThem

Because you basically have:

dy/dx = f(x)

so you can integrate both sides directly with respect to x

(I think we're slightly talking semantics here - yes. when you write the integral out there is a 'dx' in the notation but the question as stated is a poor example of 'separation of variables' IMHO)

I think he means integrating both sides with respect to x (leaving the dy/dx on the RHS which integrates to y)? That should work, I'd have thought you'd get to the same result.
I think he means integrating both sides with respect to x (leaving the dy/dx on the RHS which integrates to y)? That should work, I'd have thought you'd get to the same result.

Yes dydxdx=1dy\int \frac{dy}{dx}dx = \int 1 dy
Original post by davros
Because you basically have:

dy/dx = f(x)

so you can integrate both sides directly with respect to x

(I think we're slightly talking semantics here - yes. when you write the integral out there is a 'dx' in the notation but the question as stated is a poor example of 'separation of variables' IMHO)

Perhaps we are talking semantics but I would not do this without correct notation any more than I would say "multiply by dx"

That is what we do when we use separation of variables ... We integrate both sides wrt x
Reply 19
Perhaps we are talking semantics but I would not do this without correct notation any more than I would say "multiply by dx"

Sorry, I got called away from the computer so my last post was a bit rushed.

What I was getting at was this - if I were given the equation

dydx=f(x)\dfrac{dy}{dx} = f(x)

then I would simply write down something like this:

Integrating both sides with respect to x, we obtain:

y=f(x)dxy = \int f(x) dx

because we know that integration reverses differentiation so we don't even need to think about manipulating the LHS,

What I would NOT do is write down an intermediate step like this:

dy = f(x) dx

- which is what seemed to be being suggested here -
and then write down the next step with an integral sign in front of each side, because dy/dx is not a fraction and quantities like 'dy' and 'dx' don't have any meaning on their own.

In a "more sensible" example of a separation of variables question you would have something like this:

g(y)dydx=f(x)g(y) \dfrac{dy}{dx} = f(x)

and it is common to see textbooks writing things like

g(y)dy = f(x)dx

although I try to avoid this sort of abuse of notation myself and go straight to the "final version" with integral signs on both sides:

g(y)dy=f(x)dx\int g(y) dy = \int f(x) dx

The end result is the same - I just try not to give people the impression that you can just move dx's and dy's around as if they were standalone algebraic quantities.

Hope that explains better what I was trying to say :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest