The Student Room Group

Tips on Nursing Uni interviews

Hi guys, I've recently done my ucas application to study adult nursing in September 2015.... My main one is Bangor university has anyone been interviewed by them? Or have Ny idea what sort of questions or even how many questions they ask you? Thanks in advAnce :smile:
Hi,

Big well done for getting an interview!
I wasn't interviewed at Bangor, however I can offer some general advice, which will apply.

For the questions themselves, make sure that your answers underpin the key values of the health system; i.e. non-judgemental, dignified etc

Here are some example questions:

1. Give an example of a time you have coped under pressure
2. Give an example of a time where you have worked hard to achieve something
3. Give an example of a time where you have showed dignity and respect to someone
4. Why adult nursing?
5. What is the role of an adult nurse? (KEY QUESTION! Make sure you have a good answer prepared; it may also manifest itself as something like "What is a normal day for an adult nurse?)
6. How would you calm someone down before routine surgery?
7. What has been happening in health recently? (News items etc)
8. How would you deal with a patient's death?
9. What do you think the top 3 qualities of a nurse are?
10. What are your weaknesses?

But have a Google and see if you can find more examples. These exact questions may not be asked, but certainly some of these 'themes' will be covered.

General advice:

- Make sure you fully understand the role of a nurse
- Research about the university and their facilities, and about the latest nursing news. (BBC Health News is a good place to look)
- Understand the basics of the NMC Code of Conduct (2008) and the NHS Constitution (2013) as you may be asked about these, or you may want to refer to them in your answers - which would come across very well
- Practice answers to questions you are likely to be asked
- Do some sample Maths and English tests (Papers can be found on Brighton and Birmingham City University's websites. Other universities may also provide their own)
- Maintain good posture and eye contact, and remember the tone of voice which you are speaking in. Speak clearly and slowly
- Remember that it's ok to ask to come back to a question at the end or ask for a minute to think about your answer. You are better to take your time and give a really good answer than blurt out something mediocre
- Actively listen as much as you talk

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Best Wishes
Joel
Reply 2
Thank you so much..... Very helpful advice there!!! 😃
Original post by Kezz1989
Thank you so much..... Very helpful advice there!!! ������

No worries. Just sorry it was such an essay! :K:
Reply 4
The more info the better.... I'm currently sat typing possible questions into my phone and answering them Haha then I'm going to freshen up on adult nurse roles on the nhs website, look up the 6c's and also take a look on the Nmc website too Are you a nurse?
Reply 5
I can't believe I just asked that after looking at your name hahaha Dear me, don't mind me Lol
Hahaha! Not to worry... In fairness the 'StN' could still mean "Staff Nurse" :P

I'm a 3rd year child branch student nurse. I have one placement left and a few essays/assessments... I'm due to qualify this September :smile:

It sounds like you're doing all the right things to prepare for your interviews! Really hope it goes well for you!
Reply 7
I originally wanted to apply for child nursing but I was really put off by how limited places are..... As I'd like to work on a scbu unit, however I've been told by nurse friends that you're able to work on a scbu unit from adult nursing!!! I'm currently volunteering on a childrens ward (nursery)
Original post by Kezz1989
I originally wanted to apply for child nursing but I was really put off by how limited places are..... As I'd like to work on a scbu unit, however I've been told by nurse friends that you're able to work on a scbu unit from adult nursing!!! I'm currently volunteering on a childrens ward (nursery)

Alot of people are put off by the competition for child :frown: Which saddens me a little bit, because I think if it's really what you want to do, then you should go for it.

But you're right, I did a NICU placement (Which includes SCBU) and plenty of the nurses I worked with were originally adult trained. The only downside is you won't get a NICU placement doing adult training, but that doesn't matter too much in the long run.

Your experience volunteering will really support your application! :smile:
Reply 9
Yes very true, however I haven't got years to wait around for a place at university, I'm a single mum to two children aged 4 and 1...! I really like the idea of working on a scbu unit...!
Original post by PaediatricStN
Alot of people are put off by the competition for child :frown: Which saddens me a little bit, because I think if it's really what you want to do, then you should go for it.

But you're right, I did a NICU placement (Which includes SCBU) and plenty of the nurses I worked with were originally adult trained. The only downside is you won't get a NICU placement doing adult training, but that doesn't matter too much in the long run.

Your experience volunteering will really support your application! :smile:

Hiya I have an interview this week for child branch at chester , I have 10 years ( mature 30 something!) experience of working fir the NHS within a HV team however I am still worried as my experiences do not directly relate to 'hands on ' care. Any tips on using my experiences to answer question in group interview on 6 c's and will they be looking for personal experiences or more knowledge based answers?
Sorry for long winded post 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
We just had to tell them about our experiences and which of the 6c's they represent, I don't know why I stressed about everything so much..... It wasn't as bad as I thought!!! 👍 Good luck honey!!! Hope everything goes well!!! Anything you wana ask about interview message me an ill try'n help :smile: xX
Original post by Pretty please
Hiya I have an interview this week for child branch at chester , I have 10 years ( mature 30 something!) experience of working fir the NHS within a HV team however I am still worried as my experiences do not directly relate to 'hands on ' care. Any tips on using my experiences to answer question in group interview on 6 c's and will they be looking for personal experiences or more knowledge based answers?
Sorry for long winded post ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya,

They're probably looking for a mixture of personal experience and knowledge based answers, I'm afraid. Neither particularly overrides the other.

Your experience within the HV team is a great asset to you. Examples off the top of my head of where you could apply the 6Cs to your role may be:

- Courage; You may have had to file a safeguarding concern on a baby or about suspected domestic violence in the home. To do this takes great courage.

- Commitment: You're arranging to meet mother and/or father and baby either at a clinic or at their home. It's as much a commitment for you, as it is to the parent.

- Compassion: You must have had a time where a Mum has got emotional talking about a difficult birth, or social situation. No doubt you've shown compassion in dealing with this, so while maintaining confidentiality, you can speak about that.

- Competence: There may have been a concern with a baby, perhaps about reflux or cholic or something, which you feel unable to handle. Therefore you have recognised your own competence and referred onto a GP or Health Visitor. Competence is as much about staying within your own knowledge and skills as much as it is about having loads of skills in the first place (If that makes sense!?)

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure if that's what you were asking. If it wasn't, please feel free to expand and I'll answer again.

Also remember to listen as much as you talk in a group interview, and involve people who are being really quiet. Also, without being argumentative, don't be afraid to offer another perspective on something that someone has said.

I hope that somewhat helps.
Best of luck
Joel
I know and I'm hoping come the weekend I'll think ohh that wasn't too bad it's the group interview format feel like it's a real dog eat dog environment and it just feels strange ! More worried about the maths !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know and I'm hoping come the weekend I'll think ohh that wasn't too bad it's the group interview format feel like it's a real dog eat dog environment and it just feels strange ! More worried about the maths !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are sample maths papers available from Brighton and Birmingham City universities' websites which are good to practice on :smile:
Thanks fir that Joel I don't actually know what I was asking myself! Just want to be prepared as it's so important to me ( as I'm sure it is to everyone) the examples you've gave are spot on I experience things like that daily but putting under each heading is helpful might try and do that myself, knowledge wise I'm going to discuss obesity/ sugar tax and link in with behaviour change eek! Thanks again to u and

Posted from TSR Mobile
And kezz1989 for ur replies xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks fir that Joel I don't actually know what I was asking myself! Just want to be prepared as it's so important to me ( as I'm sure it is to everyone) the examples you've gave are spot on I experience things like that daily but putting under each heading is helpful might try and do that myself, knowledge wise I'm going to discuss obesity/ sugar tax and link in with behaviour change eek! Thanks again to u and

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pleased to have helped! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more queries.

Wishing you the very best in your interview(s). I definitely understand how much it means to everyone! :smile:
Hi guys,

I just got a interview invitation for Adult Nursing @ Univeristy of Dundee for the Sept. 2015 intake.

Anyone else had or due to have an interview?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending