The Student Room Group

Down syndrome

Hello I have a question about down syndrome as it says that you can be only born with it but a distant family member had blood poisoning when he was a baby and it damaged his immune system severly and now he has down syndrome or something like he was born healthy though he goes to a special school and has learning disabilites is this down syndrome or what is it?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello I have a question about down syndrome as it says that you can be only born with it but a distant family member had blood poisoning when he was a baby and it damaged his immune system severly and now he has down syndrome or something like he was born healthy though he goes to a special school and has learning disabilites is this down syndrome or what is it?

If he wasn't born with it then it's not Down's. Down's is when you have a third copy of a particular chromosome. That's a genetic defect and it is congenital, it's not something you can develop after blood poisoning or a damaged immune system. I don't know what he's got, you've not really given us a lot of information ):

He will not have down syndrome as a result of blood poisoning. Down syndrome is caused by faulty genetics. It's more likely your family member's disability is a result of neurological injury whilst they were unwell as a baby, blood poisoning aka sepsis can cause all sorts of problems to other systems in the body.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
If he wasn't born with it then it's not Down's. Down's is when you have a third copy of a particular chromosome. That's a genetic defect and it is congenital, it's not something you can develop after blood poisoning or a damaged immune system. I don't know what he's got, you've not really given us a lot of information ):

Well he has learning disabilities and he wears diapers and cannot use the toilet on his own. But thank you for your information
Well he has learning disabilities and he wears diapers and cannot use the toilet on his own. But thank you for your information

There are literally thousands of disorders it could be!
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
There are literally thousands of disorders it could be!

Maybe if we meet some day I could ask but then it might be a bit unsensitive to ask this question.
I think the previous people posting on this thread are correct, I'm not a doctor however, Down syndrome is a chromosomal abnormality not something that can just develop. It is more than likely that it is neurological damage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Nikz.lewin
I think the previous people posting on this thread are correct, I'm not a doctor however, Down syndrome is a chromosomal abnormality not something that can just develop. It is more than likely that it is neurological damage

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are right guys thank you I am interested in Sepsis and medical things I will look into what types of neurological damages there are.

Quick Reply

Latest