The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rauraidh
From their page this is the information from last year :

As guidance, below are the approximate lowest scores for those who were invited to a selection day.
BM4 3000
BM5 School Leavers/Graduates/Overseas 2800
BM5 Mature Non-Graduates 2500

Averages have dropped by about 200 points overall this year. So if you are a graduate applying to BM4 then 2800 (700) would seem to give you a shot. For BM5 then 2600 (650) would put you just on the edge. So 672 should give you a fighting chance, the cutoff is likely to be around 650-660.

As per the website though:

Tuesday 24 February 2015 BM5/A100 Graduate applicants

And its looking like 14-16 days before you get your interview offer. I wouldn't expect to hear from them till the 10th or so of February.

Good luck!

Wonderful reply - thank you!
Hey!! I have a question. I live in France (so I would be paying the same fees as UK/EU applicants) but does this mean that the only possible date I could be invited for interview is the overseas one (10/02)?? Or could I also be invited for any of the other BM5 school leavers dates?? Starting to worry now because I haven't heard anything yet... :/
Reply 242
Original post by dana.low
Hey!! I have a question. I live in France (so I would be paying the same fees as UK/EU applicants) but does this mean that the only possible date I could be invited for interview is the overseas one (10/02)?? Or could I also be invited for any of the other BM5 school leavers dates?? Starting to worry now because I haven't heard anything yet... :/

I'm in the same position as you (I live in Sweden). I haven't heard anything yet and when I called them a month or so ago they said that people would find out 2 weeks prior (so for us I'm guessing that's around the 27th considering the overseas is on the 10th). My UKCAT score was 722.5 which I'm pretty sure should cut it. So rest assured, I think we'll be fine!
Original post by addews
I'm in the same position as you (I live in Sweden). I haven't heard anything yet and when I called them a month or so ago they said that people would find out 2 weeks prior (so for us I'm guessing that's around the 27th considering the overseas is on the 10th). My UKCAT score was 722.5 which I'm pretty sure should cut it. So rest assured, I think we'll be fine!

Its reassuring to know I'm not the only one!! My UKCAT score was 795!!! I also called them and they gave me the same answer... Let me know when you find out! :wink:
Heya
Does anyone know if the individual interview will be mmi or panel? Thanks
Original post by rendellm1
Heya
Does anyone know if the individual interview will be mmi or panel? Thanks

Hi, its panel with a group task. I have mine on 29th. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by unitopayfor
Hi, its panel with a group task. I have mine on 29th. Good luck! :smile:
Thanks mine is the 27 th, good luck!
Just to confirm from what I've heard before. Southampton medical school teaching is more traditional in the sense that's its mostly 9-5 lectures? And there is no pbl whatsoever?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 248
Just got an interview invite through now! 29th January, ukcat is 747.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the A* guy
Just to confirm from what I've heard before. Southampton medical school teaching is more traditional in the sense that's its mostly 9-5 lectures? And there is no pbl whatsoever?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not quite 9-5 lectures - it's 9-5 teaching be it small group, lectures, anatomy practical, tutorials, etc etc. But there is no pbl.
Original post by Neostigmine
It's not quite 9-5 lectures - it's 9-5 teaching be it small group, lectures, anatomy practical, tutorials, etc etc. But there is no pbl.

Thanks for the info. Would you say the majority of time its lectures? Also is there a break(s) in the 9-5 or is it non stop?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview over! Can't give any details of course but the panel were very friendly. Not intimidating at all.

Good luck everyone else!
Reply 252
Is there anyone here who is an EU student (so not UK but not international) who has gotten an interview yet?
Oh my god that's insane congrats!! When was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
FIrstly, please ignore the trolls. There is no BMAT used at Soton and no-one would get an unconditional offer for their UKCAT. No one has an offer yet

Original post by the A* guy
Thanks for the info. Would you say the majority of time its lectures? Also is there a break(s) in the 9-5 or is it non stop?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the day really. Some days it can be (you're given lots of breaks). Rarely will it run until 5, somedays will have a late start etc etc. You're in every day, but not all the time. And lots of people don't go to everything :ninja:.
Large images!

These are two upcoming timetable weeks for BM5 year 1. Remember that years 3 4 and 5 are very different. But see how some weeks are quite full and others aren't?

Hope this helps.

Spoiler

Anyone got an interview on the 6th feb? :smile:
Original post by you-only-live-once
Anyone got an interview on the 6th feb? :smile:

Hehe nooo! Still waiting, hate it.

I take it you have? If so congrats! What was your UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Who's coming down to Southampton on the 29th?:biggrin:
Reply 259
Do Southampton do dissection?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply