The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minerva
Then your college must be unusually accommodating - most won't provide feedback for successful candidates, on the basis that there's no need.

Fair enough, I didn't think anything of it I suppose :tongue: I'm surprised that they "won't" to be honest, it is your right under the freedom of information act.. Although they're probably trying to discourage it to avoid the masses of admin :lol:
Original post by This Is My Swamp
Fair enough, I didn't think anything of it I suppose :tongue: I'm surprised that they "won't" to be honest, it is your right under the freedom of information act.. Although they're probably trying to discourage it to avoid the masses of admin :lol:

St John's for the win! :wink:
Who did you contact for it out of curiosity? I'm probably just going to wait for the informal feedback in October (provided I get the grades etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4982
FOI doesn't apply. Data Protection might, in the sense of you being allowed to ask for a copy of all data held about you - but the university would be entitled to charge you for providing it to you.

There is no 'right' to feedback, as such.
Original post by Minerva
FOI doesn't apply. Data Protection might, in the sense of you being allowed to ask for a copy of all data held about you - but the university would be entitled to charge you for providing it to you.

i swear there is, to be able to access anything with your name on it or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4984
Original post by physicsmaths
i swear there is, to be able to access anything with your name on it or something?
That's the 'right of subject access' provision in the Data Protection Act.

FOI is quite different.
Original post by aersh8
St John's for the win! :wink:
Who did you contact for it out of curiosity? I'm probably just going to wait for the informal feedback in October (provided I get the grades etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yes! They posted it on the applicants' website, and asked for requests to be sent by the UCAS referee to the address '[email protected]'. They will only send it to our referees :smile:

Original post by Minerva

Ah, yes I meant Data Protection :tongue: lucky I didn't apply for a law course hehe, seems like a pretty fundamental one. It would be harsh indeed if they charged people for it huh :redface:
Reply 4986
I have been asked to provide evidence of my exam results by 13th of Feb - should I photocopy and post my certificates or can I scan and email them as an image file?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

[INDENT]Hey I have an offer from St. Johns. Do you know whether we have to reply to both the college AND UCAS??? Because I thought all you had to do was just respond on UCAS. Do I have to reply to the college directly too??[/INDENT]

Original post by subject1

[INDENT]Hey I have an offer from St. Johns. Do you know whether we have to reply to both the college AND UCAS??? Because I thought all you had to do was just respond on UCAS. Do I have to reply to the college directly too??[/INDENT]

I don't think it's compulsory to reply to the college but I guess it just shows good manners :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha yes! They posted it on the applicants' website, and asked for requests to be sent by the UCAS referee to the address '[email protected]'. They will only send it to our referees :smile:

Ah yes, I've seen that post :smile: I just thought that maybe since its not for rejects you'd email the secretary who sent you the offer letter (was it Mr Stangroom for you??)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Ah yes, I've seen that post :smile: I just thought that maybe since its not for rejects you'd email the secretary who sent you the offer letter (was it Mr Stangroom for you??)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine was Dr Colwell! I donno, it just seem like its an effort. If its not necessary then I don't really see the point in it. After all I would just say I accept the offer blah blah etc.
Mine was Dr Colwell! I donno, it just seem like its an effort. If its not necessary then I don't really see the point in it. After all I would just say I accept the offer blah blah etc.

Lol that's what I said pretty much and also took the opportunity to ask for clarification regarding the second condition (the weird one with the paperwork), although they haven't replied yet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

It didn't specify whether the requests sent to that address should be for unsuccessful or successful applicants, so I just went for it to be honest :tongue: nope I got my letter from the lady who did my general interview, but I got a reply to my response to her (accepting the offer) from Mr Stangroom! All very confusing :lol:

What do you mean by "since it's not for rejects"? Sorry! :biggrin:
It didn't specify whether the requests sent to that address should be for unsuccessful or successful applicants, so I just went for it to be honest :tongue: nope I got my letter from the lady who did my general interview, but I got a reply to my response to her (accepting the offer) from Mr Stangroom! All very confusing :lol:

What do you mean by "since it's not for rejects"? Sorry! :biggrin:

Mr Stangroom is one of the tutorial secretaries so I wanted to know whether he's in charge of both bio and phys natscis :P but my letter was also from the tutor who did my general interview - he was really awesome!!

Lol I just meant that maybe offer holders have to ask for feedback elsewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Mr Stangroom is one of the tutorial secretaries so I wanted to know whether he's in charge of both bio and phys natscis :P but my letter was also from the tutor who did my general interview - he was really awesome!!

Lol I just meant that maybe offer holders have to ask for feedback elsewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, so that is the case, then? :tongue: nice, mine was nice but she didn't give too much away :lol:

Ah I see- well I didn't see anything else, anyway. :smile:

Confirming on UCAS is obviously compulsory by the usual deadline. If you firm on UCAS the university will get it electronically the same day. Some people don't like to firm on UCAS to see from curiosity what other offers they get, a few are also looking at US universities and a very small number are in doubt whether to go elsewhere. Although the college won't offer a declined place to somebody who has been rejected, they may do so to somebody who was given a differed entry offer but had originally applied for 2015 as first choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
Confirming on UCAS is obviously compulsory by the usual deadline. If you firm on UCAS the university will get it electronically the same day. Some people don't like to firm on UCAS to see from curiosity what other offers they get, a few are also looking at US universities and a very small number are in doubt whether to go elsewhere. Although the college won't offer a declined place to somebody who has been rejected, they may do so to somebody who was given a differed entry offer but had originally applied for 2015 as first choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok. So since i've already confirmed cambridge as my firm on UCAS, I don't think I need to reply to the college directly as well then?
Oh ok. So since i've already confirmed cambridge as my firm on UCAS, I don't think I need to reply to the college directly as well then?

In the time you've taken to debate this you could have just sent your College a quick "thank you for your offer which I'm delighted to accept" email... they asked for one - why not just send it...

I wouldn't say so, from what I can gather from my letter...

Original post by jneill
In the time you've taken to debate this you could have just sent your College a quick "thank you for your offer which I'm delighted to accept" email... they asked for one - why not just send it...

... but it is true, they won't retract your offer for sending them an email, and it might leave a good impression for your potential future tutor :smile:
Original post by jneill

Good point :P will send one tomorrow.