The Student Room Group

What made you want to lose weight?

I was just chatting with my mum about weight. We're both on Slimming World which is working out really well for us.

But she asked me what my turning point was, i.e when did I think "jesus, I need to lose three stone" and mine was when I was on the tube and a bunch of lads started shouting "ey fatty fatty fatty" "Piggy" "She's fat but I'd f**k her" and made pig noises (charming but it gave me a kick up the backside!)

I'd love to know what made any of you guys lose weight?:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by chlobofro
I'd love to know what made any of you guys lose weight?:smile:

Finally sobered up enough to realise I hated myself :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Reue
Finally sobered up enough to realise I hated myself :biggrin:

I see! (Congrats on doing the Dryathlon!)
Reply 3
omg that sounds like a horrible experience! :frown:
I'm a sw member too since november and I'd have to say I noticed I had to lose weight when I was running out of clothing options in my wardrobe and also looking at photos of myself.
inability to see my willy without exhaling (or using cleverly located mirror)
the mirror?
I'm on sw aswell! Knowing how much weight I'd put on and looking at the health risks spurred me on to lose weight
Reply 7
I'm on SW too, second time around for me, first time was when I realised that my clothes were just not fitting right and the size kept creeping up.
Now, I've just realised that losing a bit of weight will make it easier for me to be more active and do things that I've wanted to do for ages but have been worried about being "too fat" to do them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by x kat x
I'm on SW too, second time around for me, first time was when I realised that my clothes were just not fitting right and the size kept creeping up.
Now, I've just realised that losing a bit of weight will make it easier for me to be more active and do things that I've wanted to do for ages but have been worried about being "too fat" to do them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's actually really accurate, I've lost a stone since uni and now I feel like I could go swimming without being embarrassed

Posted from TSR Mobile
bullying, subsequent childhood-present depression, co-morbid social anxiety, general self-loathing, seeing how other fat kids were treated in school, increasingly more intense observation of how people were characterised in the media and in reality early adolescence e.g. 'hot guys' 'hot girls', reading up on the halo effect causes and consequences in middle-late adolescence, Manosphere truths/'attraction is amoral' Redpill theory early adulthood-present
My mum told me that I was looking a bit 'pudgy' and I always felt self-conscious about my body, especially in summer. I was never massively overweight (heaviest was about 11st 5lbs) but I've managed to get down to around 10st now. :smile:
My blood pressure was high and my IBS was flaring up regularly. I think I was finally able I get out of the trap of self denial and stop pretending I was happy when I wasn't. Still have a way to go but I am over the half way mark and much happier. The longer I go the easier it gets :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Claros
My mum told me that I was looking a bit 'pudgy' and I always felt self-conscious about my body, especially in summer. I was never massively overweight (heaviest was about 11st 5lbs) but I've managed to get down to around 10st now. :smile:

My heaviest weight was 11 stone 8, now down to 10 stone 9 (getting there) so I know what you mean

Quick Reply

Latest