The Student Room Group

Should I take 4 subjects onto A2 to make up for poor GCSE results?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh and STEP for CS depends. Anyone applying for CS with Maths has to do STEP, but you can also do CS with NatSci - this doesn't need STEP as standard (although some colleges may require it - I'm not sure...)
Reply 21
Original post by jneill
Oh and STEP for CS depends. Anyone applying for CS with Maths has to do STEP, but you can also do CS with NatSci - this doesn't need STEP as standard (although some colleges may require it - I'm not sure...)

Nothing is set in stone obviously but my thinking as of now is:

Apply for CS with NatSci (Physics) at Cambridge. This allows me to take the workload of STEP away and allow me to do the best I can in 4 A2s...

Then I apply for CS with Maths at my other Uni choices (Imperial is one so I will do MAT which seems okay when looking through past papers.)

My mind is frazzled. I still have a long time to think about it but still.

Thanks for the responses and the good luck! :smile:
Original post by jneill
Many schools expect pupils to take 2 additional A-Levels if they are doing Maths and FM. So MOST people applying to Camb will be offering 4 (or more) A-Levels. That's why 3 is relatively less common. BUT, and this is absolutely critical, it is NOT a Cambridge requirement. The Admissions Tutors posting on TSR have been very clear about this, and my son's personal experience bears this out.

It really is more important to do well in the A2s you take, than to try to take more than necessary.

Maybe ask the Christ's Admissions Tutor when he resumes his thread in the next few weeks to be sure.

Oh, and AS and A2 is much more important than GCSE - so don't worry about what's done, just focus on what's to come...

And good luck! :smile:

i have 3 aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
there is absolutely 0 point in doing 4 a levels.
for example, I got A*AAC when I did 4 a level subjects, but my uni only required 3 a levels
I could have taken away that 4th subject to probably get A*A*A*
Reply 24
Original post by JamieOH
Nothing is set in stone obviously but my thinking as of now is:

Apply for CS with NatSci (Physics) at Cambridge. This allows me to take the workload of STEP away and allow me to do the best I can in 4 A2s...

Then I apply for CS with Maths at my other Uni choices (Imperial is one so I will do MAT which seems okay when looking through past papers.)

My mind is frazzled. I still have a long time to think about it but still.

Thanks for the responses and the good luck! :smile:

be aware that Imperial can and do give STEP offers out. Hell, they gave me a STEP offer for pure CS (gah hate them so much). (Apply for churchill, it's the best for CS IMO and I'll be there (hopefully) which is always a plus)
Reply 25
Original post by TVIO
be aware that Imperial can and do give STEP offers out. Hell, they gave me a STEP offer for pure CS (gah hate them so much). (Apply for churchill, it's the best for CS IMO and I'll be there (hopefully) which is always a plus)

Would Imperial only offer STEP 1?
Reply 26
Original post by JamieOH
Would Imperial only offer STEP 1?

My offer was 1 in STEP II. I met some JMCs with 2 in STEP III offers
Reply 27
Original post by TVIO
My offer was 1 in STEP II. I met some JMCs with 2 in STEP III offers

Urghhh not having to do STEP was like a massive bonus of Imperial to me... :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by JamieOH
Urghhh not having to do STEP was like a massive bonus of Imperial to me... :frown:

Indeed, I really wanted to insurance it but I can't now. STEP is just too damn risky. UCL it is.
Reply 29
Original post by TVIO
Indeed, I really wanted to insurance it but I can't now. STEP is just too damn risky. UCL it is.

What are your 5 choices?
Reply 30
Original post by JamieOH
What are your 5 choices?

I've got a tough offer from Cambridge, and Imperial. And standard offers from UCL, B'Ham, and Bath for 4 year CS courses (only w/maths at Cambridge)
Reply 31
Original post by TVIO
I've got a tough offer from Cambridge, and Imperial. And standard offers from UCL, B'Ham, and Bath for 4 year CS courses (only w/maths at Cambridge)

Sweet. Best of luck!
Reply 32
Original post by JamieOH
Sweet. Best of luck!

You too! Have you picked a college?
Reply 33
Original post by TVIO
You too! Have you picked a college?

Nope and I can't say I've looked into them too much so far...
Reply 34
Original post by JamieOH
Nope and I can't say I've looked into them too much so far...

Fair enough, I didn't till August. If it helps: Churchill (which I've picked) has the best internet :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by TVIO
Fair enough, I didn't till August. If it helps: Churchill (which I've picked) has the best internet :biggrin:

Ooooh what speeds?
Reply 36
Original post by JamieOH
Ooooh what speeds?

I think everyone gets 100/10 down/up but churchill has the biggest data cap (20gb) and steam skype aren't blocked
Reply 37
Original post by TVIO
I think everyone gets 100/10 down/up but churchill has the biggest data cap (20gb) and steam skype aren't blocked

Im not sure they do. When I went down for interview I connected to WiFi and watched a few films but got disconnected after I used 1gb
Reply 38
Original post by raff97
Im not sure they do. When I went down for interview I connected to WiFi and watched a few films but got disconnected after I used 1gb

Nah that's the limit for ethernet. Presumably wifi (and guest wifi at that) has a lower limit.
Reply 39
Original post by TVIO
Nah that's the limit for ethernet. Presumably wifi (and guest wifi at that) has a lower limit.

Oh right that's a relief! Part of my Churchill decision was for the extremely good internet. Looks like I'll have no social life at Cambridge (if I get in...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending