The Student Room Group

How much do divorces cost?

I'm trying to work out if I need to start saving now or if I should wait til I'm married

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Well, they can sometimes cost an arm or a leg. Depending on your particular specimen, you may face the highly unusual threats of poisoning, strangulation by pillow, and general battery to death.
Reply 2
Original post by channies
I'm trying to work out if I need to start saving now or if I should wait til I'm married
:rofl:

My wife says "The more you save, the more it'll cost you!"
Are you male or female?
Reply 4
Original post by donutellme
Are you male or female?

Female

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
£19,500
Reply 6
Original post by naxiv
£19,500

Wow, should've started saving since birth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

In that case, your real task is to get as many babies as possible. Then you can get something called "aliments" from the dude. Of course, your partner might be bonkers and decide to just "end it" right there.
Reply 8
Original post by DerMann
In that case, your real task is to get as many babies as possible. Then you can get something called "aliments" from the dude. Of course, your partner might be bonkers and decide to just "end it" right there.

Would 5 be enough? With my low pain threshold I'm not sure I could deal with the childbirths of 6

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Would 5 be enough? With my low pain threshold I'm not sure I could deal with the childbirths of 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yes! Five is a sound number indeed! Not only do you get to bankrupt the guy, take over his house card etc., get all his income from work, but you also get a lot of benefit moneys. Then you can just give the kids to a cheap nanny and go on expensive holidays! Huehuehue
Reply 10
Original post by DerMann
Haha yes! Five is a sound number indeed! Not only do you get to bankrupt the guy, take over his house card etc., get all his income from work, but you also get a lot of benefit moneys. Then you can just give the kids to a cheap nanny and go on expensive holidays! Huehuehue

Aww! Cool! I'm looking forward to bankrupting him and getting all the benefits, then I'll be jetting off to Hawaii with my rebound

Posted from TSR Mobile
They'll cost you 1 marriage
^ :lol:

Not sure if OP's srs...
Reply 13
Original post by Drunk Punx
^ :lol:

Not sure if OP's srs...

Well 50% of marriages end in divorce and since I come from a family with multiple divorces, statistically speaking I am more likely than not to divorce. Therefore I am planning ahead

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's going to cost you 50% of all your assets and half of your total earnings. It's essentially a death sentence, best solution is either to declare bankruptcy or assume a false identity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Illegal Algebra
It's going to cost you 50% of all your assets and half of your total earnings. It's essentially a death sentence, best solution is either to declare bankruptcy or assume a false identity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would one assume a false identity? Where would I get the relevant documents?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To quote South Park, 5 Dowa
Well 50% of marriages end in divorce and since I come from a family with multiple divorces, statistically speaking I am more likely than not to divorce. Therefore I am planning ahead

Tell you what. How about you disregard statistics and your families' prevalent divorce record, and be with a guy for 5 years before marrying him. That way you've found out the most you're likely to know about someone in that time period, you'll probably be living together by that point and will know each others living habits, plus it has the added benefit of not rushing into marriage with someone.

Also, logically speaking (which is far more important than statistically speaking), if you go into a marriage expecting it to fail, it probably will. So there's that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

About £400 all in, if you're grown up about it.
Reply 19
Original post by Drunk Punx
Tell you what. How about you disregard statistics and your families' prevalent divorce record, and be with a guy for 5 years before marrying him. That way you've found out the most you're likely to know about someone in that time period, you'll probably be living together by that point and will know each others living habits, plus it has the added benefit of not rushing into marriage with someone.

Also, logically speaking (which is far more important than statistically speaking), if you go into a marriage expecting it to fail, it probably will. So there's that.

I'm not expecting my marriage to fail, I am just preparing. Just like people have fire alarms not because they expect their houses to go up in flames but because they want to prepare for the worst case scenario.
With that said I shall take into account the 5 year rule so I make the best choice for my marriage partner. Now just need to find someone who will date me for 5 years first or 5 days at least

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest