Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Changes for LSE IR?

So; I don't do A-levels, I do the IB. My first semester grades were:

HL: 665 SL: 654

My second semester and summative exam grades were:

HL: 666 SL: 666

I received 2 bonus points predicted and ended up being predicted 39 with 766 at higher level which is within the requirement of 38 and 766 at higher level.

LSE International Relations is my first choice if I receive an offer, and I sent out the application with (what I think) is a very strong personal statement on the 4th of December. Yet to hear back.

What chances do y'all think? I recognise my first semester was not good enough, but I kicked my ass, studied, and really improved for my second semester. The second semester also includes the exam grades of course which covers material from the first semester, so it is similar to AS. This allowed me to be predicted higher. :tongue:
Original post by flanham

I received 2 bonus points predicted and ended up being predicted 39 with 766 at higher level which is within the requirement of 38 and 766 at higher level.

LSE International Relations is my first choice if I receive an offer, and I sent out the application with (what I think) is a very strong personal statement on the 4th of December. Yet to hear back.

What chances do y'all think? I recognise my first semester was not good enough, but I kicked my ass, studied, and really improved for my second semester. The second semester also includes the exam grades of course which covers material from the first semester, so it is similar to AS. This allowed me to be predicted higher. :tongue:

Im looking at writing up a personal statement for my MS in IR (Political Economy), any advice on how I can write the winning statement? Anything would be worthwhile.
Feel free to PM me if you wish.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I have no idea why you're here to be honest mate... I haven't even been given an offer yet, so I don't know if I'm the best to ask. Personally though, I would make it personal, whilst always sticking to why you want to study Political Economy from an academic standpoint. Outline why you are best suited for a role studying that course because of x, y, and z and give them specifics.
Reply 3
Original post by flanham

To be perfectly honest, I think your prediction is not the most favourable prediction. Particularly with a course like IR which is extremely competitive (I did IB too) this may be negatively viewed upon. That being said you have met the requirements in your prediction and I think the most important element is your personal statement. You have little to lose applying, and if you are a motivated candidate (judging by the PS) it is likely to weigh more heavily than grades.
Reply 4
Original post by mr.tcbj
To be perfectly honest, I think your prediction is not the most favourable prediction. Particularly with a course like IR which is extremely competitive (I did IB too) this may be negatively viewed upon. That being said you have met the requirements in your prediction and I think the most important element is your personal statement. You have little to lose applying, and if you are a motivated candidate (judging by the PS) it is likely to weigh more heavily than grades.

Yeah I think this is an accurate assessment. Although it isn't 43 points or anything, I -have- hit the marks by a positive... I think it would only seriously hinder me if it came down to between me and another person, and we're equal on the personal statement, then they would take the person with the higher mark is my guess. I believe my personal statement to be strong, but we'll see.

I applied 4th of December and don't have any offers yet from LSE, Kings, SOAS, or Edinburgh. I do have an Interview with UCL on the 4th of February though.

What were your grades/predictions/offers/course?
Reply 5
Original post by flanham
Yeah I think this is an accurate assessment. Although it isn't 43 points or anything, I -have- hit the marks by a positive... I think it would only seriously hinder me if it came down to between me and another person, and we're equal on the personal statement, then they would take the person with the higher mark is my guess. I believe my personal statement to be strong, but we'll see.

I applied 4th of December and don't have any offers yet from LSE, Kings, SOAS, or Edinburgh. I do have an Interview with UCL on the 4th of February though.

What were your grades/predictions/offers/course?

Predicted: 43
Grades: 42 (3 bonus points/ 7,7,6)
Offers: only LSE BSc IR (38 and 7,6,6); got rejected by Warwick, Oxford, St.Andrews, Edinburgh

I entered LSE in 2012. It's been amazing!
Reply 6
Original post by mr.tcbj
Predicted: 43
Grades: 42 (3 bonus points/ 7,7,6)
Offers: only LSE BSc IR (38 and 7,6,6); got rejected by Warwick, Oxford, St.Andrews, Edinburgh

I entered LSE in 2012. It's been amazing!

Do you cite your personal statement as a reason for not achieving the other offers?

But great job at LSE! In my opinion, it's the best program you had on your list. :P
Reply 7
Original post by flanham
Do you cite your personal statement as a reason for not achieving the other offers?

But great job at LSE! In my opinion, it's the best program you had on your list. :P

I applied 2x PPE, 2x IR, 1x IR&Econ. So yeah I ascribe that to my personal statement being too broad to encompass all the different courses.

thank you :smile: I believe so too!
Reply 8
Original post by mr.tcbj
I applied 2x PPE, 2x IR, 1x IR&Econ. So yeah I ascribe that to my personal statement being too broad to encompass all the different courses.

thank you :smile: I believe so too!

Ah right, fair enough! So far I applied to 4x IR and one European Social/Political Studies at UCL which is the only one I have heard back from so far (invited to interview/standardised test day :biggrin:). My PS is very IR based, so I hope this works to my advantage.

I understand it is logical to assume that someone with 43 is going to have a huge advantage over someone with 39, but is this really the case when there is a minimum entry requirement that is generally the level of the conditional offer? Do you know this for certain, or are you assuming?
Reply 9
Original post by flanham
Ah right, fair enough! So far I applied to 4x IR and one European Social/Political Studies at UCL which is the only one I have heard back from so far (invited to interview/standardised test day :biggrin:). My PS is very IR based, so I hope this works to my advantage.

I understand it is logical to assume that someone with 43 is going to have a huge advantage over someone with 39, but is this really the case when there is a minimum entry requirement that is generally the level of the conditional offer? Do you know this for certain, or are you assuming?

I am assuming! I would think that they are on the safer side chosing people which are predicted a few points over the condition, because it means they are likely to make it. Predictions are almost always inflated by a bit to make candidates appear better. But honestly who knows? I don't think its worth thinking about these things too much. The process is very opaque and I strongly believe the personal statement is the deciding factor to distinguish between hundreds of brilliant people. good luck on the UCL interview!
Reply 10
Original post by mr.tcbj
I am assuming! I would think that they are on the safer side chosing people which are predicted a few points over the condition, because it means they are likely to make it. Predictions are almost always inflated by a bit to make candidates appear better. But honestly who knows? I don't think its worth thinking about these things too much. The process is very opaque and I strongly believe the personal statement is the deciding factor to distinguish between hundreds of brilliant people. good luck on the UCL interview!

Yeah, I think that's a correct assumption. Thanks for your input! :smile:

Good luck on your final year(s) at LSE! :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by mr.tcbj

Just received my offer today. :smile: Very excited; it's 38 and 766 at higher level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending