The Student Room Group

Why do Nigerians have a bad reputation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by willlondon2000
Right. So let me get this straight.

You asking majority white people, why Nigerians have a bad rep when it was white people who gave them that rep ?

Thing is I don't know if white people gave them that rep (I'm not defending white people by the way).
You think so?
Reply 41
Original post by jedanselemyia
I don't understand
Is it because of their reputation as crooks?
Because it's one of the most powerful African countries?
I'm not starting this thread because I'm from Nigerian descent (I'm from Gambian descent actually), by the way :colondollar:

Because other Africans think they are cocky and big-headed, while they are seen as crooks (many Pakistanis for instance won't work with them in a business context). I also know a Jamaican who said that they are suspicious of people they hire to the point of checking their pockets on frequent occasions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by willlondon2000
Right. So let me get this straight.

You asking majority white people, why Nigerians have a bad rep when it was white people who gave them that rep ?

No it wasn't. Ask any other African. Nigerians got their reputation from shady business dealings and their reputation for arrogance among other African nations.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Borgia
Because other Africans think they are cocky and big-headed, while they are seen as crooks (Pakistanis for instance won't work with them in a business context).

Yes, that's what my family thinks :frown:

I didn't know that tension existed! How come?

thanks for the info
Reply 44
Thing is I don't know if white people gave them that rep (I'm not defending white people by the way).
You think so?

They didn't. Token blame whites post.
Reply 45
Yes, that's what my family thinks :frown:

I didn't know that tension existed! How come?

thanks for the info

Well are your family African?
Original post by Borgia
Well are your family African?

Yup, my mum's family is Gambian.

So yeah maybe the stigma comes more from Africans (although I am loathe to admit it because it's ridiculous).
Reply 47
Nigeria is the most developed country in Africa. South Africa is close second but outside of Johannesburg, it's full of shanties. They have reason to be cocky if you ask me.

Reply 48
Yup, my mum's family is Gambian.

So yeah maybe the stigma comes more from Africans (although I am loathe to admit it because it's ridiculous).

As I said, I know a (white) landlord who said that many Pakistani landlords refuse to work with Nigerians (not all Africans), and I would only assume this is based on bad experiences.
Reply 49
Original post by Truths
Nigeria is the most developed country in Africa. South Africa is close second but outside of Johannesburg, it's full of shanties. They have reason to be cocky if you ask me.

Ah so you are a Nigerian? Explains a lot.

Actually the HDI lists Nigeria as being after Cameroon, Rwanda, Angola, Kenya, Egypt, Swaziland and Namibia to name a few (I cant be bothered listing them any more, there are just so many).
Original post by Borgia
No it wasn't. Ask any other African. Nigerians got their reputation from shady business dealings and their reputation for arrogance among other African nations.

'arrogance among other African nations'... care to explain??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by yemiprecious
'arrogance among other African nations'... care to explain??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many Africans look at Nigerians the way that Europeans look at the French or English, just much much worse.
Original post by Truths

Sure, Nigerians have a reason to be proud of their country! :smile:

In black Africa? North African countries don't come first?
Reply 53
Original post by Borgia
Many Africans look at Nigerians the way that Europeans look at the French or English, just much much worse.

Right! I was only made aware of this apparent insecurity quite recently aamof. It's probably because Nigeria is the wealthiest country in Africa. Competition is all well and good tho, but give credit where it is due. You must appreciate their larger than life attitudes, because their blind optimism has clearly led to great results thus far. The country is developing at a remarkable rate. I admire their ethos. N.G.A N.G.A!

Reply 54
Sure, Nigerians have a reason to be proud of their country! :smile:

In black Africa? North African countries don't come first?

I don't even know. But they are definitely rising within the ranks. Wont be long until they are #1. It's only a matter of time.

Original post by Truths
I don't even know. But they are definitely rising within the ranks. Wont be long until they are #1. It's only a matter of time.

That made me crack up.
But sure, I definitely hope so.
At least one country needs to repping black Africa :wink:
Original post by Borgia

I don't know where you get that from. How many Africans have you met or know? I only know that WAS true of Ghanaians but that's another story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Because they are go getters. They are not afraid to get what they want and they don't care who they hurt in the process.
This is especially true for those brought up in Nigeria ( I.e recent immigrants).
It is a dog eat dog world out there and you do whatever you need to survive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^ Indeed.
Reply 59
I don't understand
Is it because of their reputation as crooks?
Because it's one of the most powerful African countries?
I'm not starting this thread because I'm from Nigerian descent (I'm from Gambian descent actually), by the way :colondollar:

Well something I've noticed about Nigerians is they have quite an uncompassionate culture.
There's not a lot of sympathy for the weak, the poor or anything like that. They have a very snobbish view. Not only this I've noticed they don't really have a lot of respect for art. Everything is about money money money. and they seem to mimic the worst american ideals. Like those of the jocks and "mean girl" types.

something I've noticed about nigerians though is that they often care more about their reputation than actually whats right and wrong.

Like there was recently a video of a baby being abused by a nanny in nigeria.
there was public outcry not for the baby. but because it was apparently "making nigerians look bad"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending