The Student Room Group

I have an A in IGCSE english but no IELTS. Will this hurt my chances?

Apparently i have to do ielts or whatever. They said I don't need to have it at the time of applying but it will make up part of my conditional offer.
If I don't have the IELTS qualification at the time of applying, but I can demonstrate I speak fluent english at interview and I have an A in igcse english, will my chances of getting a conditional offer still be hurt by not having IELTS?
Original post by HLN_Radium
Apparently i have to do ielts or whatever. They said I don't need to have it at the time of applying but it will make up part of my conditional offer.
If I don't have the IELTS qualification at the time of applying, but I can demonstrate I speak fluent english at interview and I have an A in igcse english, will my chances of getting a conditional offer still be hurt by not having IELTS?

Is the IGCSE English as a first or a second language?

If you speak fluent English, why would taking IELTS be a problem?
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Is the IGCSE English as a first or a second language?

If you speak fluent English, why would taking IELTS be a problem?

First language. I don't know if it would be a problem but I need to research into it like I have to find out what times of the years the ielts exam is avalaible. Also, roughly what does an A in IGCSE english translate to in IELTS score? Is it sufficient for 7.5?
First language. I don't know if it would be a problem but I need to research into it like I have to find out what times of the years the ielts exam is avalaible. Also, roughly what does an A in IGCSE english translate to in IELTS score? Is it sufficient for 7.5?

If you have an A in IGCSE first language, I am surprised you are also being asked for an IELTS score. I would contact the university and ask why they want you to take IELTS, when you already have a first language GCSE qualification in English. They may have wrongly assumed that it is a second language qualification.

As IELTS is designed for non-native speakers, I would have thought you would have no problem getting a good score, if you had to take it.
it would be a good idea to ring them if possible. they will then hear first hand what your English is like. it seems to me your English skills may be better than most living here
Reply 5
No, I just looked at the website for the university and it said "We do not accept IGCSE in either First Language English or English as a Second Language as proof of English proficiency."
No, I just looked at the website for the university and it said "We do not accept IGCSE in either First Language English or English as a Second Language as proof of English proficiency."

if possible ring the admissions teacher and discuss. maybe they wont bother wasting everyones time as it is evident you have very good English. they use ielts to ensure you will understand the language to be able to follow
the course
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
if possible ring the admissions teacher and discuss. maybe they wont bother wasting everyones time as it is evident you have very good English. they use ielts to ensure you will understand the language to be able to follow
the course

It's oxford, and I'm a nobody at the moment, so, I don't think I should be doing that haha.
Reply 8

IELTS tests are available frequently throughout the year but not all test centres offer it on every date. Check the dates offered by your centre here: http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/how_do_i_register/test_dates.aspx

As a native speaker 7.5 should not be a problem for you but you do need to do some preparation in advance. Apparently native speakers can sometimes not do as well as non-native speakers because they assumed no preparation would be needed. You can read the band descriptions here:
http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/find-out-about-results/understand-your-ielts-scores?_ga=1.59459498.608928950.1412503948

You do not need to have passed IELTS before you apply; you do not even have to have registered for the test before you apply. If your universities want it, they will make it part of your conditional offer and if you want to accept that offer you will have to register, take the test and send them the results before the deadline (usually end August).

Swanseajack's suggestion is a good one. Some universities may ask for IELTS anyway, though. My daughter is a native speaker but because she has been brought up in a non-English-speaking country, two of her universities have asked her for IELTS.
Reply 9
Just take the IELTS. It comprises of four sections- speaking, listening, writing and reading. Seeing that you're already good in English, it wouldn't hurt to take the IELTS. Getting an A is not the same as getting 7.5 etc. Some people can do even better in their IELTS than their exams.

All the best! You'll be fine, just prepare well for it :biggrin:
I have often spoken to foreign students who struggle to hold a conversation. clearly a problem you don't have. you have nothing to lose by ringing them up. be polite explain you are a native English speaker. they will then know this by talking to you and may or may not insist on you taking what clearly in your case is an unnecessary test
If you are an international student universities are not accepting igcse english as proof of proficiency. You need to proof that you can speak English. This is not an issue for native speakers and people doing English at schools or as a private candidate. This is a recent policy and makes sense in my opinion.
Reply 12
Just for further purposes, here's more information on my background:
I studied in an international school in Hong Kong for all my life, but currently, for sixth form, I'm in a boarding school in the UK. Does this affect anything?
Just for further purposes, here's more information on my background:
I studied in an international school in Hong Kong for all my life, but currently, for sixth form, I'm in a boarding school in the UK. Does this affect anything?

I cannot answer this but as your at an English speaking(I assume) boarding school in the uk you are probably studying a levels in English. there appears to be absolutely no point of ielts in these circumstances. please either ring (preferably) or email oxford explain the full circumstances where you are now studying and ask them whether in the circumstances they need ielts. I think you would be better off telephoning them as this will show how good your English is. basically no one can help you it is down to you to take this action. if you do not take this action just get on with sitting ielts
Reply 14
Original post by swanseajack1
I cannot answer this but as your at an English speaking(I assume) boarding school in the uk you are probably studying a levels in English. there appears to be absolutely no point of ielts in these circumstances. please either ring (preferably) or email oxford explain the full circumstances where you are now studying and ask them whether in the circumstances they need ielts. I think you would be better off telephoning them as this will show how good your English is. basically no one can help you it is down to you to take this action. if you do not take this action just get on with sitting ielts

I do intend to sit Ielts, but I just would rather sit it later in the year. I'm just wondering if having these required english qualifications before applying will increase my chances of getting a conditional offer.
I do intend to sit Ielts, but I just would rather sit it later in the year. I'm just wondering if having these required english qualifications before applying will increase my chances of getting a conditional offer.

If they require IELTS in this situation (which is unusual), they can make your offer also conditional on a certain IELTS score- in this case probably 7.5. It shouldn't affect your chances of getting an offer so long as you have booked an IELTS test and listed it on your application as pending.
The uk border agency has recently decided that igcse English does not count as an acceptable qualification so you need to do ielts for most unis. It's not difficult it's just expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also have the same problem but i have an A for english as a second language becasue i’m from Cyprus,is it required that i also need to take the IELTS exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending