The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Individual's choices. I think you grow out of it with age.
Most boybands are only "famous" because they look like little Ken dolls, not that they have any singing talent.
I don't know, but the obsession over celebrities is moronic.
Reply 3
yeah it is more than a little weird
Reply 4
I wish I knew tbh, the One Direction craze baffles me.
My guess is that it's kind of considered the social norm nowerdays for girls to like boy bands. If their friends claim to adore a band, then to fit in, they'll learn to love them to.
Same reason why us guys like Nutella and booty, it's a bandwagon thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do people obsess over celebrities in general? Loneliness. Consider the fact that most of One Direction's audience are pre-pubescent girls, or girls making that transition from young girl to teen. Typically, you're not dating on a serious level at that age, and so you can substitute the need for a real boyfriend by idolising a male celebrity.

Just realised while I'm writing this that most boy band songs often use direct pronouns, like "you". I guess that adds to the pseudo-relationship between the bands and their fans.

Then again what do I know?
Reply 8
I don't understand the obsession either but not to sound arrogant and to answer your question. According to psychology the Absorption-addiction model argues those who pursue parasocial relationships (celebrity worshipping, staking etc.) do so due to deficits or lacks within their real life and these relationships are seen as an attempt to cope with or escape from reality.
Girls are wrong and backwards. I think we should ban them. Men are so much better.
Reply 10
manlet
Original post by iammeyouareyou
Girls are wrong and backwards. I think we should ban them. Men are so much better.

Oh hell no boi

Posted from TSR Mobile
celebrity culture/idealised lifestyle/princess mentality/pre-pubescent's alpha male
Original post by iammeyouareyou

I'm sad you think that
Original post by Becca.H96
I don't understand the obsession either but not to sound arrogant and to answer your question. According to psychology the Absorption-addiction model argues those who pursue parasocial relationships (celebrity worshipping, staking etc.) do so due to deficits or lacks within their real life and these relationships are seen as an attempt to cope with or escape from reality.

That's interesting but don't young boys want to escape reality, too? Where are all the boys wearing pussycat dolls merchandise?
Original post by Yeah dude
Same reason why us guys like Nutella and booty, it's a bandwagon thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I understand. My passion for booty is quite genuine.
Original post by Applescruff
My guess is that it's kind of considered the social norm nowerdays for girls to like boy bands. If their friends claim to adore a band, then to fit in, they'll learn to love them to.

How does one learn to love something? Can't they only pretend? Btw great username, I can tell you have taste in music :cool:
Why do men find boobs attractive? Both questions baffle me to be quite honest XD
Original post by EllieC130
Why do men find boobs attractive? Both questions baffle me to be quite honest XD

Because they're just there. They are right there. You know when you see something for instance a box of maltesers right there just waiting for you and you think to yourself it's right there? That's what boobs are like.
Idk man I'd take like scarlett johansson over one direction any day

Spoiler

Latest