The Student Room Group

Thinking of learning to drive

I really really want to learn to drive but struggle with the money part. At a push, I could afford 1 hour a week I think but no more than that. I also don't have any opportunity to practice outside of lessons so the driving lessons would be my only driving. I don't mind how long it takes to pass as I'm not in a rush to, but I was wondering if it's possible with 1 hour a week?
I am 24 next month so I feel like time is ticking :tongue:
Thanks in advance
Reply 1
It's very possible to do 1 hour a week and pass. It takes about 15-30 lessons for the average person before they're ready to take their practical test. I done my test within 13 lessons, and mostly done 1-3 lessons per week.

Goodluck!
Original post by Reety
It's very possible to do 1 hour a week and pass. It takes about 15-30 lessons for the average person before they're ready to take their practical test. I done my test within 13 lessons, and mostly done 1-3 lessons per week.

Goodluck!

Thank you. Was that without practising in another car (like your parents) ?
Reply 3
Original post by WeirdLittleO
Thank you. Was that without practising in another car (like your parents) ?

I didn't practice in any other car. And no problem!
The amount of time that it will take you depends on how confident you are about driving. I wasn't very confident so I took quite a while to do mine (45 hours) although going back after a 3 month break isn't easy but it was out of my control. Can you afford to drive after you pass? There's no point learning if you are never going to drive again. Obviously it's fair enough if it's just that you wait until you have more money for a car.
Original post by Reety
I didn't practice in any other car. And no problem!

Awesome, that's good to know, thank you. :smile:
Original post by Mmmmmmbgh
The amount of time that it will take you depends on how confident you are about driving. I wasn't very confident so I took quite a while to do mine (45 hours) although going back after a 3 month break isn't easy but it was out of my control. Can you afford to drive after you pass? There's no point learning if you are never going to drive again. Obviously it's fair enough if it's just that you wait until you have more money for a car.

Yeah I don't mind if it takes a while as I'm not in a rush to pass. Would like to get my theory out of the way though. At the moment I couldn't afford a car but I want to get my license to get it out of the way so I'll be able to buy a car when the time comes. I'm a student nurse so hoping to buy a car sometime after I qualify to get to work and such :smile:
Thank you
Original post by Reety

Goodluck!

Whilst I have no reason to doubt that you passed in 13 lessons I have to point out that, according to the DVSA, the average number of hours professional tuition required to pass the test is 46 plus 20 hours of private practice. Now I am not wholly convinced that these numbers are right but if someone is an average driver then 15-30 lessons is not supported by the statistics.

As far as the OP is concerned, of course it is possible but assume that it will take you 9 months at 1 hour a week. If you then prove to be above average, you'll do it quicker, be quids in and be doubly happy! If you assume it will take 13 weeks then once you get to 14 , the pressure will be on, you may get disheartened and you will resent the extra money. Approach it with a realistic attitude and you won't be disappointed...
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Whilst I have no reason to doubt that you passed in 13 lessons I have to point out that, according to the DVSA, the average number of hours professional tuition required to pass the test is 46 plus 20 hours of private practice. Now I am not wholly convinced that these numbers are right but if someone is an average driver then 15-30 lessons is not supported by the statistics.

As far as the OP is concerned, of course it is possible but assume that it will take you 9 months at 1 hour a week. If you then prove to be above average, you'll do it quicker, be quids in and be doubly happy! If you assume it will take 13 weeks then once you get to 14 , the pressure will be on, you may get disheartened and you will resent the extra money. Approach it with a realistic attitude and you won't be disappointed...

Aye I don't mind if it takes a while :smile: I qualify September 2016 so passing by then would be nice but I'm not going to be unrealistic and assume I'll pass in 10 lessons lol. I've booked my first lesson for Thursday next week, will see how it goes! Very envious of people who have parents' cars to practice in! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeirdLittleO
Yeah I don't mind if it takes a while as I'm not in a rush to pass. Would like to get my theory out of the way though. At the moment I couldn't afford a car but I want to get my license to get it out of the way so I'll be able to buy a car when the time comes. I'm a student nurse so hoping to buy a car sometime after I qualify to get to work and such :smile:
Thank you

Oh I see. That makes sense. Don't be afraid to change instructors if it doesn't work out between you and your instructor as I know a lot of people who have wasted a lot of time with bad instructors. I started learning in April this year as I know I would be finishing A levels in the June so I needed my own transport for work.

I already had a car before I passed so that was quite good but my insurance is so expensive and I've only got a little fiesta!
Reply 10
Original post by Emma-Ashley

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but the time within the 15-30 lessons can be extended via two to three hours per lesson. Now if we are being completely statistical, the information i just stated will therefore leave a result of 48 - 60 hours on average. I don't think the OP will be under 'pressure' at their 14th driving week... Since there is an unlimited amount of time to learn. And also I really doubt that the OP will 'resent' the money spent on driving lessons just because they may not feel up to 'test-standards' by the 14th driving week; this is something that's going to benefit you for your whole life, being able to drive.

As far as the OP should be concerned; approach it any attitude my friend, "you can do anything you set your mind to" - if you want to pass it in 10 lessons, there is nothing stopping you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ah yeah that's true. I did choose to go with one of the more expensive driving schools as they have tonnes of positive testimonials and their fb group posts a pic of someone almost every day passing their test haha. But will see for myself when I have my first lesson I suppose! Car insurance never makes any sense haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reety
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but the time within the 15-30 lessons can be extended via two to three hours per lesson. Now if we are being completely statistical, the information i just stated will therefore leave a result of 48 - 60 hours on average. I don't think the OP will be under 'pressure' at their 14th driving week... Since there is an unlimited amount of time to learn. And also I really doubt that the OP will 'resent' the money spent on driving lessons just because they may not feel up to 'test-standards' by the 14th driving week; this is something that's going to benefit you for your whole life, being able to drive.

As far as the OP should be concerned; approach it any attitude my friend, "you can do anything you set your mind to" - if you want to pass it in 10 lessons, there is nothing stopping you.

10 lessons would be amazing! Haha. I guess I'll either be a complete natural or a complete novice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending