The Student Room Group

Business in Manchester or Economics in Queen Mary?

Any advice would be of great help.
Reply 1
Economics regardless of the uni.
Anyway I think QMUL is better than Manchester.
Reply 2
Original post by SiminaM

Thanks for your answer! However, why do you think that economics is a better option tan business? I say because I'm doubting between these two...
Original post by SiminaM

Just no.

OP, what are your plans once you finish university?

Are there any careers you are currently interested in? Which course do you prefer? What other aspects of university are you most looking forward to?
Reply 4
Original post by Jorge1
Thanks for your answer! However, why do you think that economics is a better option tan business? I say because I'm doubting between these two...

I can't really tell you a relevant argument because I'm not interested in either, really, but it seems to me that most people find economics better than business. Plus from the way I see it you can be a successful businessman without having a business degree and also economics is harder to self teach and it is essential to know how to manage money which economics is mostly about.
Reply 5
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Just no.

OP, what are your plans once you finish university?

Are there any careers you are currently interested in? Which course do you prefer? What other aspects of university are you most looking forward to?

I would like to work in consultancy/general management positions. At the moment I don't think I would like to work in sectors such as finance or investment banking, but who knows in the future. I would like to work for one or two years, take maybe a gap year and then do a master in management at a top european business school. For the contents I've seen in each course I find myself more eager for studying business, however I find economics very interesting too and studying this subject would give me broader knowldege and a stronger mathematical base, and I could learn all the other management subjects in the master. For me the most important aspect of a university is it's prestige and quality in the subject that I'm going to study ,(as well as career pospects) but also the location, the leisure oportunities and cultural/asociative life. I would like to know if it's worthy to study management (international business economics) at Manchester or Economics at Queen Mary. I've seen in Unistats that career prospects and salaries ere better on economics at QMUL but I care more about the prestige and the quality of the university in the chosen subject than the salaries.
Reply 6
Original post by Jorge1
I would like to work in consultancy/general management positions. At the moment I don't think I would like to work in sectors such as finance or investment banking, but who knows in the future. I would like to work for one or two years, take maybe a gap year and then do a master in management at a top european business school. For the contents I've seen in each course I find myself more eager for studying business, however I find economics very interesting too and studying this subject would give me broader knowldege and a stronger mathematical base, and I could learn all the other management subjects in the master. For me the most important aspect of a university is it's prestige and quality in the subject that I'm going to study ,(as well as career pospects) but also the location, the leisure oportunities and cultural/asociative life. I would like to know if it's worthy to study management (international business economics) at Manchester or Economics at Queen Mary. I've seen in Unistats that career prospects and salaries ere better on economics at QMUL but I care more about the prestige and the quality of the university in the chosen subject than the salaries.

Sorry for the long paragraph, thank you for your help Abdul!
Original post by Jorge1

Manchester has a strong business school and for the reasons you outlined in the post would be a much better suit. Not to discredit QMUL, but Manchester is generally considered to be a semi-target university in the outlined professions, whereas QMUL isn't. However, ensure you are 100% certain about studying one subject over the other.
Both will get you where you want. Which course will you excel in? Management will likely involve more writing / qualitative subjects than Economics. If I am not wrong, Manchester is a much bigger university than QMUL, does that affect your decision?
Manchester has an excellent business school! And if I'm not mistaken, isn't QMUL more renowned for law than business/economics?
So I'd say Manchester > QMUL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Personally I would prefer management, although I think I would enjoy economics too. But now I have to made a decision, and I really need your advice please. I have already applied in UCAS by the 15th of January deadline for Durham (Business and Management), Manchester (Management-International Business Economics), King's (Business management) and two Cass courses (Business Studies and Management). I think I'm going to change the management course at Cass because it's nearly the same as the other one I've applied for, and I'm thinking of aplying to:a- Queen Mary (Economics)
b- Warwick (Business and Management)
c- UCL (Management Science)
I've got AAB (Spanish equivalence), and I think that I really good, original personal statement. Should I change to one of these options or keep the management course at Cass? I'm open to other universities and options too. Thank you all for your help!
Original post by Jorge1
Personally I would prefer management, although I think I would enjoy economics too. But now I have to made a decision, and I really need your advice please. I have already applied in UCAS by the 15th of January deadline for Durham (Business and Management), Manchester (Management-International Business Economics), King's (Business management) and two Cass courses (Business Studies and Management). I think I'm going to change the management course at Cass because it's nearly the same as the other one I've applied for, and I'm thinking of aplying to:a- Queen Mary (Economics)
I've got AAB (Spanish equivalence), and I think that I really good, original personal statement. Should I change to one of these options or keep the management course at Cass? I'm open to other universities and options too. Thank you all for your help!

Just so you know Cass is not that difficult to get in and they had places for Clearing last year.
Original post by Jorge1

If you change uni now, won't you be considered late?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by milkberries
If you change uni now, won't you be considered late?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but I've asked the unis and they've told me it's just fine. Some will consider it as late but they'll still take a look at it.
Original post by Jorge1
Yes but I've asked the unis and they've told me it's just fine. Some will consider it as late but they'll still take a look at it.

Oh that's good then.
But just keep in mind that the unis you've listed are very competitive and have a high volume of applicants. So you might be at a slight disadvantage just because of your late application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by milkberries
Oh that's good then.
But just keep in mind that the unis you've listed are very competitive and have a high volume of applicants. So you might be at a slight disadvantage just because of your late application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the universities and courses that I've listed above, would you make any changes? Taking into account my grades (AAB) and good, creative personal statement. I don't know wether it would be worthy to take the risk of applying to this unis given that my grades aren't AAA or A*A*A*.
Original post by Jorge1
For the universities and courses that I've listed above, would you make any changes? Taking into account my grades (AAB) and good, creative personal statement. I don't know wether it would be worthy to take the risk of applying to this unis given that my grades aren't AAA or A*A*A*.

Durham and Manchester are asking for AAB
Reply 17
Now, if anyone it's still awaken, between economics at Queen Mary or business studies at Cass, which one would you pick? I say because I have to summit my firm choices right now and I'm choosing one for having a "safe bet" in London.
Original post by Jorge1
Now, if anyone it's still awaken, between economics at Queen Mary or business studies at Cass, which one would you pick? I say because I have to summit my firm choices right now and I'm choosing one for having a "safe bet" in London.

Cass Business School > QMUL, in terms of industry reputation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending