The Student Room Group

Should men be gentlemen towards both sexes or just ladies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrackerJacker
A modern man should strive to be a gentleman in all situations.

He will open doors for women, pull chairs out for women, help women with their coats, open car doors for women, walk on the inside of the road side when with a woman, he will stand for women on public transport and many more. He will certainly never hit a woman.

Should a man also be gentlemanly towards fellow men, or just to women?

EDIT: This applies to all women, not just a gentleman's love interest

I think being a gentleman towards women is kind of linked with courting. So doing the same for men, is a straight up No Go Zone (for straight men). because being a gentleman was mainly aimed at women, men see that it as a weakness, like no man wants another man helping him with his coat. Unless, he's disabled in some way that would make it difficult for him to take off his jacket. For example a broken arm.
(edited 9 years ago)
smh white knights when will they learn

Just be generally polite to everyone...Treat everyone with respect and how you would like to be treated. Hold the door open behind you no matter who is behind you and always check that you aren't slamming it in someone's face.

And never be rude to people in shops or restaurants. Afterall they must be decent people if they're working for money rather than just getting benefits.

You don't need to go over the top
Haha it depends. Most men are gentlemen to women, until the relationship stage. Attitudes start to turn then and the man will whip out comments like "make me a sandwich". Personally i show respect to everyone i usually open doors for both genders, just depends on whether they show appreciation then i will remember for the future.
Reply 24
There are men like these....they're called butlers. I don't know if they act like this anymore though, pulling chairs for you as few waiters do and many men would prefer you didn't, or so i think? Basic respect, common courtesy is important and so is kindness towards someone who looks in need of a seat on public transport more than you.
No, not exclusively to women. Helping women put coats on and pull out chairs is kind of ridiculous and unnecessary. Personally, it would irritate me.

However, holding doors and letting other people out before you is just polite. It shouldn't be gender exclusive at all.

As for hitting, just don't hit anybody. If a woman attacks you, you have a right to defend yourself (with reason- obviously if you're quite big, you have to have restraint because you could end up really hurting the other person. That goes for both genders).

As a woman, I always feel quite awkward when guys go out of their way to be chivalrous. I just don't feel like being female gives me that privilege.

As for pregnant women, though- damn, you're an ******* if you don't hold doors/ give up seats for them, because they're carrying a child and making a pregnant woman stand on a bus is just wrong.
Original post by RustyGuns
I think being a gentleman towards women is kind of linked with courting..

So does that mean that you should only be a gentleman to a woman you are courting, not all females?
A modern man should strive to be a gentleman in all situations.

He will open doors for women, pull chairs out for women, help women with their coats, open car doors for women, walk on the inside of the road side when with a woman, he will stand for women on public transport and many more. He will certainly never hit a woman.

Should a man also be gentlemanly towards fellow men, or just to women?

EDIT: This applies to all women, not just a gentleman's love interest

From a man, all I expect is a firm handshake.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
From a man, all I expect is a firm handshake.

Are you male or female?
Original post by Greg Jackson
smh white knights when will they learn

+1 you made me laugh
Are you male or female?

Would it make a difference?
Reply 31
Regardless of sex the hard and fast rule is..

Don't be a prick.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Would it make a difference?

I shake male hands firmly, but not female hands for fear of hurting them

Quick Reply

Latest