The Student Room Group

What would you do if you were me?

Hi there. I'm Sam, I'm 19 and I haven't been in education for two years. I dropped out due to depression and anxiety being awful, awful things. I spent one year trying to get better and have spent the last year caring for my mother, for whom I look after for 35 hours a week.

I've wanted to go to university for a long time, and the knowledge that my mind initially kicked me out is awful. I want to go and study things that fascinate me in a place dedicated to it surrounded by people with the same interest. My goal is to do a Bachelor's of Arts, a combination of literature and film, or film and English Language (there's one at Queen Mary's in particular that strikes my fancy), with intent to one day work in entertainment as a writer or director. The issue is, I have no A-Levels. I have no AS levels. And the QMUL requires ABB or higher, as do many other universities offering that course or ones like it (I'd prefer to go to one in London so I can commute if necessary).

Since I have to look after my mother for most of the week, prohibiting me from getting a full time job, and all the A-Levels I want to do are starting new syllabus' in September, what's my best course of action? Do I have to wait until then and then do the two year course via the OpenUniversity or NEC in the three A-Levels? All my friends have left because they're three years ahead of me, I can't go to a college full time and it's awfully lonely, so the less time I'm here without people my own age the better. Is there a diploma I could do to get my UCAS points up and help my application? Is there an access course that could help me out to get a Bachelor's somewhere else? Or is my best course of action to wait and do them from September onwards? Is there nothing I can do to help my case until then?

Thank you for reading this drabble, I'm sorry if it's miserable, I've had a bloody lousy day and I'm feel quite sorry for myself.
Reply 1
Original post by samreids
Hi there. I'm Sam, I'm 19 and I haven't been in education for two years. I dropped out due to depression and anxiety being awful, awful things. I spent one year trying to get better and have spent the last year caring for my mother, for whom I look after for 35 hours a week.

I've wanted to go to university for a long time, and the knowledge that my mind initially kicked me out is awful. I want to go and study things that fascinate me in a place dedicated to it surrounded by people with the same interest. My goal is to do a Bachelor's of Arts, a combination of literature and film, or film and English Language (there's one at Queen Mary's in particular that strikes my fancy), with intent to one day work in entertainment as a writer or director. The issue is, I have no A-Levels. I have no AS levels. And the QMUL requires ABB or higher, as do many other universities offering that course or ones like it (I'd prefer to go to one in London so I can commute if necessary).

Since I have to look after my mother for most of the week, prohibiting me from getting a full time job, and all the A-Levels I want to do are starting new syllabus' in September, what's my best course of action? Do I have to wait until then and then do the two year course via the OpenUniversity or NEC in the three A-Levels? All my friends have left because they're three years ahead of me, I can't go to a college full time and it's awfully lonely, so the less time I'm here without people my own age the better. Is there a diploma I could do to get my UCAS points up and help my application? Is there an access course that could help me out to get a Bachelor's somewhere else? Or is my best course of action to wait and do them from September onwards? Is there nothing I can do to help my case until then?

Thank you for reading this drabble, I'm sorry if it's miserable, I've had a bloody lousy day and I'm feel quite sorry for myself.

Life has not dealt you the easiest of hands but future success will mean far more given the difficulties you faced. Do not forget that.

Given that your time is limited I see two options. Either you find a local council or college which offers access course modules/A levels on an individual basis or do entry level Open University courses. Both options will take a while before you get into university.

There is not much flexibility with the first. When I did a human biology module last year they ran multiple classes during the day for full-time students but only one evening class for part-timers. That meant I had a full day at work then had to go an evening class for four hours and often did not get home much before 12:00. That was the sacrifice I had to make to get onto my course.

An Open University course will give you maximum flexibility but will be significantly more expensive and might be a lonely, drawn out experience. I think this might be an important factor for you given that you mentioned your friends leaving. I imagine it might be quite nice for you to get out and socialize with a new group of people even if it is just in a classroom!

Only you will know which option is best for you. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by evantej
Life has not dealt you the easiest of hands but future success will mean far more given the difficulties you faced. Do not forget that.

Given that your time is limited I see two options. Either you find a local council or college which offers access course modules/A levels on an individual basis or do entry level Open University courses. Both options will take a while before you get into university.

There is not much flexibility with the first. When I did a human biology module last year they ran multiple classes during the day for full-time students but only one evening class for part-timers. That meant I had a full day at work then had to go an evening class for four hours and often did not get home much before 12:00. That was the sacrifice I had to make to get onto my course.

An Open University course will give you maximum flexibility but will be significantly more expensive and might be a lonely, drawn out experience. I think this might be an important factor for you given that you mentioned your friends leaving. I imagine it might be quite nice for you to get out and socialize with a new group of people even if it is just in a classroom!

Only you will know which option is best for you. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks man, sincerely. I was thinking of an OU course doing three A-Levels, mostly because the colleges around here aren't very good and I can't afford much in way of travel. I'll check anyway. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by samreids
Thanks man, sincerely. I was thinking of an OU course doing three A-Levels, mostly because the colleges around here aren't very good and I can't afford much in way of travel. I'll check anyway. :smile:

The Open University have an arts and languages access module starting next week if you wanted to get started straight away. But in your case I do not think there is any rush. You should pick what is best for you. I would definitely contact Queen Mary's too. They might be able to advise you about what they think will best prepare you for their degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending