The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

No-go areas in London

I'm an international student and will be attending university in London. Are there any areas that I should NOT be looking at in terms of accommodation? Ex. I'm from Toronto and there are some places where housing is cheap and relatively safe to stay but there are also places which are just as cheap and really not the best place to be at night. Any suggestions of where to find reasonable, relatively safe housing?

Scroll to see replies

No go areas:

Peckham
Brixton
Hackney
Lewisham
Croydon
Kensal Rise
Harlesden

These are just off the topic of my head my best advice is stick to central if not go for places such a Wimbledon Putney or Fulham
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Ealing is a good area (Southall being an exception, not so nice), and much more affordable than Fulham or Notting Hill.
Reply 3
Original post by Light_bulb
No go areas:

Peckham
Brixton
Hackney
Lewisham
Croydon
Kensal Rise
Harlesden

These are just off the topic of my head my best advice is stick to central if not go for places such a Wimbledon Putney or Fulham

Original post by Blitzkrieg15
Ealing is a good area (Southall being an exception, not so nice), and much more affordable than Fulham or Notting Hill.

Thanks guys! :smile: I'll finally be able to start looking around now.
Original post by akj.latif

You're welcome, which uni will you be attending in London? As travel will be a big factor in determining accommodation

Bermondsey isn't that bad, and is affordable. Added bonus that it is just one stop from Canary Wharf.

Avoid Tottenham if possible, and definitely Elephant & Castle!
Reply 6
You're welcome, which uni will you be attending in London? As travel will be a big factor in determining accommodation

LSE or UCL. Haven't made up my mind as of yet!
Reply 7
Bermondsey isn't that bad, and is affordable. Added bonus that it is just one stop from Canary Wharf.

Avoid Tottenham if possible, and definitely Elephant & Castle!

Thank you! That's weird lol, Elephant and Castle in Toronto is a pretty nice financial district pub. The name is misleading I guess.
Thank you! That's weird lol, Elephant and Castle in Toronto is a pretty nice financial district pub. The name is misleading I guess.

There are no elephants or castles, just lots of muggers! Oddly enough it is only a 15-20 min walk from the financial district of the City of London where all the sky scrapers are.
Reply 9
There are no elephants or castles, just lots of muggers! Oddly enough it is only a 15-20 min walk from the financial district of the City of London where all the sky scrapers are.

Note to self: London and Toronto share a lot of names, geographically. However, they are not the same.

Ex. Regent's Park in Toronto is one place that if you walk around at night, you probably will come home with 1/3 of the possessions you arrived there with. I've heard London is otherwise lol.
Note to self: London and Toronto share a lot of names, geographically. However, they are not the same.

Ex. Regent's Park in Toronto is one place that if you walk around at night, you probably will come home with 1/3 of the possessions you arrived there with. I've heard London is otherwise lol.

Regent's Park is home to London Business School, looks like the White House!
Reply 11
Regent's Park is home to London Business School, looks like the White House!

Yeah, I need to be on this website 24/7 until the day I go across the pond. SO unfamiliar with the UK :confused:
Yeah, I need to be on this website 24/7 until the day I go across the pond. SO unfamiliar with the UK :confused:

TSR can be a minefield, people are very passionate and sensitive about their universities. Not everyone knows what they are talking about, they just download league tables and think they know it all based on that. The realities can be very different.
Reply 13
TSR can be a minefield, people are very passionate and sensitive about their universities. Not everyone knows what they are talking about, they just download league tables and think they know it all based on that. The realities can be very different.

In that case, I'll learn after I'm mugged once or twice. Practice makes perfect, eh?
Reply 14
No go areas:

Peckham
Brixton
Hackney
Lewisham
Croydon
Kensal Rise
Harlesden

Did you just wake up from a coma you fell into during the year 1999, and miss the decade where HackneyBrixton became gentrified and are now two of the best places to live in Inner London? A similar thing is currently happening in Peckham.

A serious answer - nowhere in London is 'bad' in the sense that ghettos in American cities are bad (there are no literal no-go areas, London isnt Los Angeles), but you want to avoid places like Tottenham, most of Newham, and most of the Docklands. Its also probably worth pointing out that street crime in London tends to be have a strong racial component (see also) so that should give you some idea of which areas are likely to be bad, although again, some traditionally high crime areas like Hackney have become quite gentrified during the last decade, and are now among the trendiest places.
(edited 9 years ago)
In that case, I'll learn after I'm mugged once or twice. Practice makes perfect, eh?

I never knew much about London until I moved there, you won't get mugged unless you ask for it and walk towards a gang of buffoons at night. But then again, some people get stabbed in broad daylight, just like in New York. The city is totally different to other UK cities, and is 55% non-English overall. It is one of my fav cities, as are Oxford, Milton Keynes and Reading.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
I never knew much about London until I moved there, you won't get mugged unless you ask for it and walk towards a gang of buffoons at night. But then again, some people get stabbed in broad daylight, just like in New York. The city is totally different to other UK cities, and is 55% non-English overall. It is one of my fav cities, as are Oxford, Milton Keynes and Reading.

Cool, cool. Here's to hoping that a suburban girl won't be asking for it either :colondollar:

Never been to Oxford, Milton Keynes, and have only passed through Reading on the way to Swindon.
Original post by poohat
Did you just wake up from a coma you fell into during the year 1999, and miss the decade where HackneyBrixton became gentrified and are now two of the best places to live in Inner London? A similar thing is currently happening in Peckham.

A serious answer - nowhere in London is 'bad' in the sense that ghettos in American cities are bad (there are no literal no-go areas, London isnt Los Angeles), but you want to avoid places like Tottenham, most of Newham, and most of the Docklands. Its also probably worth pointing out that street crime in London tends to be have a strong racial component (see also) so that should give you some idea of which areas are likely to be bad, although again, some traditionally high crime areas like Hackney have become quite gentrified during the last decade, and are now among the trendiest places.

I agree with the above, areas go in cycles as to how good or bad they can be. Brixton has come a long way the last few years, as more affluent people move there. Tottenham looks quite rough, but you do see a lot of Europeans and other cultures there, it isn't just loads of black gangs.
No go areas:

Peckham
Brixton
Hackney
Lewisham
Croydon
Kensal Rise
Harlesden

All these areas are fine, I have friends that live in most and have never felt threatened there once

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samdynamou
All these areas are fine, I have friends that live in most and have never felt threatened there once

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are the most dangerous areas nevertheless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending